"why do I like country music now?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
inmyplace13 said:
I remember being a kid and driving around with my dad listening to Emmylou's Spyboy and Wrecking Ball LPs.

Good stuff.

I've got to get "Wrecking Ball." It was Lanois produced with Larry playing all the drums.

MrBrau1 said:
I've got to get "Wrecking Ball." It was Lanois produced with Larry playing all the drums.

I don't think Larry played all the drums on that one (maybe for one or two tracks). Lanois did produce it. And it's great! :up:

I :heart: Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Lorreta Lynn and Patsy Cline.

Unfortunately I can't think of anyone more modern that I like, except Allison Krause. And Steve Earle, if he counts.

Popmartijn said:
I don't think Larry played all the drums on that one (maybe for one or two tracks). Lanois did produce it. And it's great! :up:

I have to correct myself here. I just checked the credits. Larry is featured on 9 or so tracks. Not always as the main drummer, but he's there.
:ohmy: That's more than I expected. Have to listen to it again... now! And that ain't a punishment. :)
:heart:

elevated_u2_fan said:
Poncho and Lefty
I love Townes van Zandt

my favourite country artist has to be Gram Parsons
his 2 solo albums are of an incredible beauty

I'd also count early Jayhawks as country
they were really good too

Salome said:
my favourite country artist has to be Gram Parsons
his 2 solo albums are of an incredible beauty

Indeed! How could we not mention Gram Parsons earlier?
But yes, his two solo records are stellar. :bow:
Of course, singing together with Emmylou Harris always yields extraordinary results. :)

How the fuck did I miss this thread? I've got other suggestions but I'm too drunk to go back in the memory bank right now.

One name not even fucking mentioned. (can't fathom it actually)

For the love of Christ, Brau, if you haven't already, find you some Alison Krauss.

Alison Krauss by herself for that fucking angelic voice or with Union Station for some of the best instrumentation and modern bluegrass you cold imagine.

Awesome.

martha said:

Kitty Wells

Jeezus Chrise. That was a surprise.

martha you are a dream girl.

pass on my regards to yer fella.

I hope to add some names to this conversation in the next few days.

Actually, most all recommendations have been pretty God damn excellent.

Don Williams has some great shit, that's one that whiskey didn't tackle.

Alison Krauss and Union Station's "Daylight" album is really, really great. I also like the man who sings some of the songs - Dan something? Timmons? Maybe? He did the singing for George Clooney in "O Brother, Where Art Thou." Good stuff.

Dan Tyminski, he's a complete bad-ass.
He's the dude singing 'Man of Constant Sorrow' for those who are familiar with that song.

Funny thing is, even though I'm from the Southwest and grew up listening to country music ever since about 1988 (I was 13), when I first heard Led Zeppelin and Metallica in the span of a few months, I went for nearly 20 years without giving a flying ass about country.

Then a couple of years ago, I started listening to the old shit again because white rock has become so terrible (largely) and got totally inspired to dig in deeper.

I'm still not keen on the newer crowd of country music (newer to me is 1990-present) outside of a few exceptions.

I wish I knew more great alt-country, my knowledge of it is pretty limited but I generally like whatever I hear. Austin City Limits has had some great alt-country acts that I hadn't heard before.

In fact I first heard Iron and Wine on that show.

My early afternoon has been well spent on the music blogs.

I've gotten my grubby paws on The Flying Burrito Brothers first album: "The Guilded Palace of Sin & Burrito Deluxe" (1969)

I'm also eyeing Gram Parson's first solo album: "Grievous Angel" (1973)

This one has me pumped. It's Elvis Presley's band playing with Emmylou Harris & Gram Parsons singing.

MrBrau1 said:
I'm also eyeing Gram Parson's first solo album: "Grievous Angel" (1973)

This one has me pumped. It's Elvis Presley's band playing with Emmylou Harris & Gram Parsons singing.

Don't eye. Listen!
(It's his 2nd solo album BTW, released in 1974, his first one was GP in 1973)

Brass Buttons, Love Hurts, $1000 Wedding, In My Hour Of Darkness are amazing songs (as are the others on that record).
Last year I got The Complete Reprise Sessions boxset (which includes his two solo albums plus a disc of outtakes and alternative versions). Try to find it, you won't be disappointed.
:happy:

Popmartijn said:

Don't eye. Listen!
(It's his 2nd solo album BTW, released in 1974, his first one was GP in 1973)

Brass Buttons, Love Hurts, $1000 Wedding, In My Hour Of Darkness are amazing songs (as are the others on that record).
Last year I got The Complete Reprise Sessions boxset (which includes his two solo albums plus a disc of outtakes and alternative versions). Try to find it, you won't be disappointed.
:happy:

Looks like I'm getting both. GP & Grievous Angel. At a great bit-rate.

Along with a beer.

Long live music blogs!

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
I'm still not keen on the newer crowd of country music (newer to me is 1990-present) outside of a few exceptions.

The only modern artist I enjoy is Dwight Yoakam.

The rest is complete shit.

Popmartijn said:

Just got it. Larry plays on 8 of the 12.

And it's fantastic. It's midnite country. Perfect for late, long drives.

Also laid my ears on "Elite Hotel", which is just more of the same: good stuff.

Modern country and modern R&B are an absolute embarrassment. 2 original American art forms which have just gone right down the pooper.

MrBrau1 said:
And it's fantastic.

Isn't it, though? I'm glad you like it. That was the album that made me think, "Huh. Maybe all country isn't awful."

I was working at a mall record shop, and that was one of the promo CDs we'd gotten to play in the store. No one wanted to play it, and I happily took it home.

Back
Top Bottom