"why do I like country music now?" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Well, as long as we're singing the praises of Emmylou Harris, I'll identify my favorite song of hers. It is....

"Hobo's Lullaby" - - (from the "Folkways: A Vision Shared -- Tribute to Woody Guthrie" album). I think it came out in 1987? I love that album, but I think it's out of production/print.

Here is the track listing:

1. Sylvie - Sweet Honey in the Rock
2. Pretty Boy Floyd - Bob Dylan
3. Do-Re-Mi - John Mellencamp
4. I Ain't Got No Home - Bruce Springsteen
5. Jesus Christ - U2
6. Rock Island Line - Fishbone, Little Richard
7. East Texas Red - Arlo Guthrie
8. Philadelphia Lawyer - Willie Nelson
9. Hobo's Lullaby - Emmylou Harris
10. Bourgeois Blues - Taj Mahal
11. Gray Goose - Sweet Honey in the Rock
12. Goodnight Irene - Brian Wilson
13. Vigilante Man - Bruce Springsteen
14. This Land Is Your Land - Little Red School House Chorus, Pete Seeger, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Doc Watson

Damn! If you don't have it, get it. Bob Dylan's "Pretty Boy Floyd" I sing to myself constantly. "Rock Island Line" by Little Richard is outstanding. In fact, I'll stop now because I love most of these tunes. It is honest, historical, and meaningful American music and something I am culturally proud of (despite the fact that I had nothing to do with it).

Old 11-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Knuckle
Well, as long as we're singing the praises of Emmylou Harris, I'll identify my favorite song of hers. It is....

"Hobo's Lullaby" - - (from the "Folkways: A Vision Shared -- Tribute to Woody Guthrie" album). I think it came out in 1987? I love that album, but I think it's out of production/print.

Here is the track listing:

1. Sylvie - Sweet Honey in the Rock
2. Pretty Boy Floyd - Bob Dylan
3. Do-Re-Mi - John Mellencamp
4. I Ain't Got No Home - Bruce Springsteen
5. Jesus Christ - U2
6. Rock Island Line - Fishbone, Little Richard
7. East Texas Red - Arlo Guthrie
8. Philadelphia Lawyer - Willie Nelson
9. Hobo's Lullaby - Emmylou Harris
10. Bourgeois Blues - Taj Mahal
11. Gray Goose - Sweet Honey in the Rock
12. Goodnight Irene - Brian Wilson
13. Vigilante Man - Bruce Springsteen
14. This Land Is Your Land - Little Red School House Chorus, Pete Seeger, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Doc Watson

Damn! If you don't have it, get it. Bob Dylan's "Pretty Boy Floyd" I sing to myself constantly. "Rock Island Line" by Little Richard is outstanding. In fact, I'll stop now because I love most of these tunes. It is honest, historical, and meaningful American music and something I am culturally proud of (despite the fact that I had nothing to do with it).
Good album. Most people here have "Jesus Christ." But the whole thing is worthy of attention.

As for my favorite Emmylou Harris tune, right now, it's "Boulder To Birmingham." It plays in my dreams. Breathtaking tune.

Runner-up would be "Blueberry Wine."

What a contrast to "Boulder." Country honk.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #18
Acrobat

I should say that, with regard to my post (above), other than the "Folkways" album, I am almost entirely ignorant to the music of Emmylou Harris. So, my selection of "Hobo's Lullaby" as my favorite tune of hers is based upon that song only. Nonetheless, I like it quite a bit.

Time to check out some other M.E.Lou Harris tunes.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:37 PM
I just found a used copy of Folkways on CD a few months ago. It made my day!

I have a much higher tolerance for country music these days than I ever used to. But aside from the Dixie Chicks (their album "Home" is absolutely fantastic), I don't care for the modern country stuff you hear on the radio. I don't like twang, I don't like the sheen. (I like a few songs here and there - I'll cop to liking Miranda Lambert.)

I like the roots-type stuff, like that Dixie Chicks album, the more folksy stuff, you know? Stuff like the Folkways album, and the Springsteen Seeger Sessions thing.

But I like a good songwriter, too. Lyle Lovett, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Emmylou Harris are all tops in my book. And you can't go wrong with Johnny Cash. I don't own any Willie Nelson, but I've developed an appreciation for what he's done.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not a fan of much of today's country. I do enjoy some of Keith Urban's work, some of Faith Hill's, Tim McGraw's etc. I am a huge fan of the Dixie Chicks. They're one of the few country acts that's come out in the past 10 years or so, that remind me of the older country music.

You can't get much better than the man in black, Mr. Johnny Cash. I can't think of one subpar song in his entire catalogue. The man was an absolute genius. No one wrote and sang of the struggle and pain of life than he did.

I'm also a fan of Dolly Parton, especially her older work. Emmylou Harris is someone I discovered pretty recently, but I'm loving her already. She's a fantastic storyteller, and I love her voice. Reba McEntire is one of my all-time favorite artist's as well, along with one of my favorite female vocalists. Like any other genre, country, has become cookie cutter, mindless drivel. It's a shame.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

*Meant to edit not quote.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Knuckle
I should say that, with regard to my post (above), other than the "Folkways" album, I am almost entirely ignorant to the music of Emmylou Harris. So, my selection of "Hobo's Lullaby" as my favorite tune of hers is based upon that song only. Nonetheless, I like it quite a bit.

Time to check out some other M.E.Lou Harris tunes.
Her voice and choice of material is ace.

And she's a looker.

Then

and now

Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Plus, she's got a gorgeous voice to match that gorgeous head of hair.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:11 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:37 PM
Wow, she is pretty. Nice pictures .

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
I do enjoy some of Keith Urban's work
I've heard a few of his songs thanks to my sister. He's not bad, no .

Quote:
I am a huge fan of the Dixie Chicks. They're one of the few country acts that's come out in the past 10 years or so, that remind me of the older country music.
I've only heard one album in full by them (their last one), and a few random songs outside of that. Excellent stuff, though, from what I've heard-and based on what I've seen of them in interviews and such, they seem like pretty cool people. And that one album of theirs I've heard is great-this makes me want to go listen to it again...

Tim McGraw I don't really listen to, but again, based on the interview bits I've heard and stuff, I have respect for the guy as a person. Same with Faith. I like that they've been together for quite some time. Same with Randy Travis-again, not another artist I really listen to, but I admire him 'cause he just goes out there and makes the music he wants to make and seems genuine in everything he does. I really respect that.

Fully agreed on Johnny Cash, too, he was awesome, as were some of those old-time country artists-I've always liked what I've heard from the musicians of that time period (another one to mention-Patsy Cline, anybody?). Anyone I'm not that familiar with, I'll check 'em out further.

Quote:
Like any other genre, country, has become cookie cutter, mindless drivel. It's a shame.
Yeah, every genre has its share of crap. But that's what makes coming across the good stuff all the more worthwhile . I went through a major country music phase around 11, 12 years of age, so I can't totally bash the genre. Watched CMT all the time. I remember liking LeAnn Rimes quite a bit.

Angela
Old 12-01-2007, 01:23 AM   #25
She's the One

Roy Acuff
Bob Wills
Kitty Wells
Loretta Lynn
Conway Twitty
Ernest Tubb
Bill Monroe

These people eat Dixie Chicks for an appetizer.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:37 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

As for my favorite Emmylou Harris tune, right now, it's "Boulder To Birmingham." It plays in my dreams. Breathtaking tune.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Is Steve Earle still considered country?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:51 AM   #28
The Male

Willie Nelson's Phases & Stages is the best country album I've ever heard. I even prefer it over Red Headed Stranger.

Now.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:18 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Wonderful voice, great songs and also amazing live.
I still need to buy her Songbird boxset...
I think my favourite Emmylou Harris song is The Pearl (from Red Dirt Girl), but it alternates with Orphan Girl (from Wrecking Ball, such a sad song ). And the rest of her catalogue is excellent too.

As for other country artist, I'm also not a fan of the current style. But old-skool ( ) country I dig. Johnny (didn't buy American Recordings until earlier this year, but that one is already one of my favourite albums ever), Willy, Hank, Dolly, etc.

But Emmylou...
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:37 PM
I remember being a kid and driving around with my dad listening to Emmylou's Spyboy and Wrecking Ball LPs.

Good stuff.