Why do celebrities usually only date other celebrities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kitty, I think Bruce and Phillips were already on the rocks when Bruce hooked up with Patti.
Did anyone notice that most of the music people hook up with "regular" people? Yes, I'm sure you could name 20 musicians who are with celebs, but the majority aren't. Whereas, TV/Movie people hook up with more celebs. I think Liesje made a great point about the conflicting schedules of celebrities leading to their break-ups. Plus, it's no stretch to assume that, perhaps these celebs are a little too self absorbed to give a shit about their celeb mate in the long run. It's all about self preservation. Ya know, "What about me?"
I think it's important to remember that when someone decides to become a celebrity, that they are pretty much saying goodbye to a normal existence. Yes, the money can be sweet, but the fame can be bitter. The bigger celebrity you are, the smaller your privacy.

Angela Harlem said:

Nicolas Cage is currently married to a relative nobody, isn't he?

I think she used to be a sushi waitress.

Why do I know stupid trivia like this? :mad:

The funny thing is that the majority of relationships involving two celebrities eventually crash and burn. It's the ones who are married to "normal" people who seem to have the most longevity (Bono & Ali are a perfect example of this).
I guess famous people have a tendency to meet and hang around with other famous people. Publicity is likely a factor as well for some of them.

U2Kitten said:
(And it wasn't Edge's fault he and Aislinn broke up, it was hers, so we can't blame him.

:lol: And you know this how?

I think celebrities date other celebrities because those are the people they hang around. :shrug: I know if I was a celebrity and had tons of cash and met a "normal" guy that I liked, I think it would be hard to trust him. I would be thinking he was with me just for the money and fame.

Aren't Dennis Quaid and Kevin Costner now with relative "nobodies"?

Lisa Marie Presley's first husband was a regular guy, and her current husband is a producer but he's not really famous or anything.

I don't think Sting's wife was famous before they met?

Bono's Betty said:

and don't forget Lisa Marie Presley

:scream:

Did we have to bring this up???
:lol:

Actually, I dont mind Lisa Marie. She seems quite nice, in a creepy kind of way, in all interviews I've seen her in.

I adore the bloke, but he has strange taste in women.

I'm a big Lisa Marie fan and I've met her a few times...the weird creepy punk rocker thing is totally a front. She's the tiniest cutest shyest nicest person!! :lol: :love: And her hubby is a totally down to earth sweetheart.

Back on topic...
Jerry Seinfeld

I guess it's easier for a celebrity to relate to another celebrity, it's easier for them to be among their own kind. Dating ordinary people can be problematic, particularly if these are "fans". There could never be an equal relationship. Either one of them is adoring the other like in a star-fan-relationship or only using him/her because of their name, fame, money or success. So I kind of understand why it's hard for famous people to find someone who is not a celebrity.
I guess it's better for those who have met their partners before they were getting famous. Those things tend to get more complicated with fame and success.

Shaliz said:
I don't think Hugh Jackman's wife is famous either, or Russell Crowe's wife, if I'm remembering correctly.

Ok, maybe not in Canada :wink: but both their wives are actors. Hugh Jackman was fairly unknown when he met Deborra-Lee Furness but she was established in Australia. Russell and Danielle Spencer were equally unknown when they met.*

I think the diff here is both wives have put their careers second to their husbands'.

* Why do I also know so much crap? :scream: I blame the mags at the hairdressers...:grumpy:

blueeyedgirl said:

Ok, maybe not in Canada :wink: but both their wives are actors. Hugh Jackman was fairly unknown when he met Deborra-Lee Furness but she was established in Australia. Russell and Danielle Spencer were equally unknown when they met.*

I think the diff here is both wives have put their careers second to their husbands'.

* Why do I also know so much crap? :scream: I blame the mags at the hairdressers...:grumpy:

Oops! Oh, well. I guess that's an excuse to brush up on some Hugh and Russell trivia.:wink: Not that I would mind or anything...:shifty:

Well, off the top of my head, I can think of a few couples that have lasted for a while:
Susan Sarandon/Timothy Robbins
Kelly Preston/John Travolta
Kyra Segwick/Kevin Bacon
Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell
Tom Hanks/Rita Wilson

Back
Top Bottom