Why do a lot of Dublin accents sound like American accents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will give it a listen later I think

I say Shacago but it sounds silly and I dont have to say it because its not a big conversation topic here so im okay :up:

Why do I have a Doris Day song in my head now

I just blew in from the windy city, the windy city is mighty pretty

Its all this different cities talk I tell you. :|

DiGi said:
you should not be giving her the southern accent as a sample of american voices :)

her? Am I her? :ohmy:

:shame:

Thats like referring to my mum as she

My Mum: She? Who is she? Who do you think I am? The cats mother?

Or:

Person: Can I have *money/ a lift home/ a cd*

Mum: Who do you think I am? Carnegie

Hazzard is in Kentucky.

I was almost born there, but it was so dirty from coal mining that the hospital windows were black, so my parents moved to Virginia instead.

Lara Mullen said:

I say nottingum I dont pronounce the HAM - naughty me :angel:

Good - that's the way it's pronounced! Nottingum.

When I was in America last year, everyone thought I pronounced Nottingham really strangely. They didn't believe me when I told them that that's how it's pronounced! If you went round Nottingham calling it Not-ting-HAYAM everyone would think you were weird.

bammo2 said:

Good - that's the way it's pronounced! Nottingum.

When I was in America last year, everyone thought I pronounced Nottingham really strangely. They didn't believe me when I told them that that's how it's pronounced! If you went round Nottingham calling it Not-ting-HAYAM everyone would think you were weird.

I guess it IS more like HAYAM than HAM.

I don't think I've got an accent but apparantly I have - a Mansfield / Nottingham one. I say things like " Ey up mi duck" and "Mi-sen" instead of myself.

Lara - we call them Safeways and Tescos too.

I also say "owt" instead of "anything", and nowt instead of nothing. In Yorkshire they pronounce them with like 'out' eg nout, but in Notts it's pronouned like ote or note.

Going is pronounced 'guwin'
eg I would say "I'm guwin dahn tahn wi' mi mate"

Does that make sense?? :confused:

i, personally never thought Dublin accents sound like US accents. they are distinctly different. well, it might depend on what part of America you mean. if you're talking about Boston, or something, maybe, but i never thought so, and i think that is a VERY strange comment. lol.

bammo2 said:

Lara - we call them Safeways and Tescos too.

I also say "owt" instead of "anything", and nowt instead of nothing. In Yorkshire they pronounce them with like 'out' eg nout, but in Notts it's pronouned like ote or note.

Going is pronounced 'guwin'
eg I would say "I'm guwin dahn tahn wi' mi mate"

Does that make sense?? :confused:

We say nowt like whats in the cupboards?

"nowt"

I get what your saying "Im guwin to the town with my friend"

But we dont say guwin

I have a weird random made up phrase "Amn't na"

Eg: "I am stupid, amn't na?"

It means Arent I?

I have been saying it since I was 2

Nobody else I know says it :der:

I say Nottingham right :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom