Why Coldplay's Next Album=Zooropa 2 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 03:16 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:26 PM
You know before I went on this forum I had higher respect for U2 fans but I suppose that U2 fans would have a certain apprehension towards a band that many predict will take thier crown of World's Biggest Band. I'm sorry for pouring salt into the wound.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:56 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Wow 11 posts and already hates the Interference U2 fans. That has to be some kind of record.

Or you're just really smart. But that shouldn't exempt you from learning how to type.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
You know before I went on this forum I had higher respect for U2 fans but I suppose that U2 fans would have a certain apprehension towards a band that many predict will take thier crown of World's Biggest Band. I'm sorry for pouring salt into the wound.
I actually love Coldplay (and there are others here too), but the comparisons just didn't make any sense to me. I can see comparing Joshua Tree to Rush of Blood for the simple fact that they are both worldwide breakthrough albums. However, X&Y to Achtung Baby makes no sense. If anything X&Y compares to Rattle & Hum because it is now time for a MAJOR change.

Your song by song comparisons really don't work either. Actually the guitar work on X&Y sounds (especially on something like White Shadows) is more like Unforgettable Fire.

Some people will always bash Coldplay here whenever you start a thread, but others will also rush to depend. So to be blunt, your post was the problem. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #19
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I have no apprehension towards Coldplay. I don't care for them a whole lot though. I adore "The Scientist" and "Yellow", but most other stuff I heard just hasn't done it for me. If they ever take the "crown of World's Biggest Band"...I don't care. Wouldn't make U2 any less awesome for me. It's a non-issue.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #20
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2
Wow 11 posts and already hates the Interference U2 fans. That has to be some kind of record.
it only took me 10.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 07-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
a band that many predict will take thier crown of World's Biggest Band. I'm sorry for pouring salt into the wound.
Hey, I used to be a big Coldplay fan, but X&Y was quite disappointing for me. Sorry to break it to you, but it wasn't anything close to Chutes or Rush, and felt stilted, forced, and wishy-washy.

And I'm an equal opportunity basher - I'll say the same about U2's work at points in their career.
[1989]
Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

The internet is a series of tubes!
i thought it was a dump truck...

uhhh I seriously doubt Coldplay will take U2's "crown" of World's Biggest Band. In order to such, they have to STOP SOUNDING SO MUCH LIKE U2, which really started with X&Y. Parachutes had something nice going, and Rush maybe had traces of a U2 influence, which is perfectly acceptable, and it was really a brilliant album. X&Y just sounds like a blatant U2 rip-off at some point, or worse yet, Coldplay ripping off themselves (Speed of Sound...Clocks anyone?). Overall it came off as trying too hard, imo, especially when a lot of the songs weren't that great. What If? What is that shit? What If that song didn't suck so much?

sorry, it's incredibly easy to bash Coldplay, but I really do love their first two albums. Don't Panic is one of my favourite songs ever

Tags
coldplay