Why all the hate against Starbucks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know, right? So wild. We were hoping he might make another appearance around the building when they were in town at the end of April, but nope.

I did hear the tour manager was here, though, and got a tour of the building.

One of Howard's assistants, who got to go with Howard to the show (AND BACKSTAGE, that rat bastard) is under strict instruction to inform myself and another girl if Bono is coming back to meet with Howard at any time.

Anyway ... back to general Starbucks talk.

The ubiquity bothers me, for several reasons, but at least it gives me job security. :wink:

Seriously, though, I'm glad to be working in HR, because it's great to be working directly for the other employees, and doing the programs to help them.

inmyplace13 said:
The point is, Starbucks is all well and good until you think it's a cool place to be seen. Sitting on your lappy after you've finished your coffee long ago isn't "cool", it's sad. Just get your drink and go.

The concept of 'coffee to go' is very much an American one. If you go overseas (particularly Italy, France or Austria), you will see that staying around sipping a cup of coffee, just chatting or, as you say, 'seeing and being seen' is very much the norm. For instance, Schultz' book talks about getting his coffee concept from the bars in Milan, Italy where, as you may imagine, being seen is very much part of the culture.

I frankly like it. It forces Americans to slow down a bit instead of always being in a rush for 'I don't know what' and I very much credit Starbucks with creating this trend.

And I also believe that if you want to impress someone or pick up girls / guys you can do better than Starbucks. :D

U2@NYC, that's exactly it. Starbucks was intended to not only introduce the "art of espresso" to America, but also to create what's referred to as a "third place": a place outside of work/school or the home for people to meet and hang out.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough comfy chairs in my neighborhood Starbucks, so I sometimes go to the independent coffee place instead ... tell no one! :wink:

They have awesome bagels there, and it's a closer walk from my apartment. I'm not a big coffee drinker, so I can't comment on the quality of Starbucks coffee vs. other coffee, but I do know it's a darker roast, and a lot of people don't care for it - it tastes burnt to them.

Me? Just give me my iced caramel latte, and no one gets hurt. :drool:

i love starbucks. and i could give a rats ass if it makes me looks trendy or not. i go there for my iced vanilla latte. thats all i care about....lol.

U2@NYC said:

The concept of 'coffee to go' is very much an American one. If you go overseas (particularly Italy, France or Austria), you will see that staying around sipping a cup of coffee, just chatting or, as you say, 'seeing and being seen' is very much the norm. For instance, Schultz' book talks about getting his coffee concept from the bars in Milan, Italy where, as you may imagine, being seen is very much part of the culture.

I frankly like it. It forces Americans to slow down a bit instead of always being in a rush for 'I don't know what' and I very much credit Starbucks with creating this trend.

And I also believe that if you want to impress someone or pick up girls / guys you can do better than Starbucks. :D

thanks for saying that! I don't see it as trendy or a place to be seen. The people at mine are quite diverse (for orange county anyways). I usually am in a hurry but one of these days I'm gonna sit and enjoy. These days there aren't many places for people from a neighborhood to be in contact with each other. The ones on their cell phones irritate me a bit, but for the most part it's a friendly atmosphere where you can make small talk.

I nearly ordered my iced venti latte at the pharmacy today:reject: Walking up to a counter it's like an automatic reflex.

Haha can anybody remember on the Simpsons when Bart was getting his ear pierced and the guy at the counter says: "Ok, but hurry up in 5 minutes times they're making this place a starbucks".... then once Bart has his ear peirced he walks out drinking a coffee and all the shops have turned into starbucks.... maybe matt groening is suggesting something :wink:

dont slam the starbucks.. its just a coffee place andif you dont like it dont go there, that simple. andman, i love their frappes.. yummy

I used to go there multiple times a year while I was growing up (yeah! back in the glorious mariner years!)
and it was amazing to see starbucks spread out and then thicken, appearing across the street from one another so people walking to work didnt have to cross the street or whatnot.
It was like a whole culture

Well I like Starbucks, I like the flavour, we have one in the office and I regularly have one to kick off my day. I ask for Faitrade.

I also buy a lot of Fairtrade goods, especially the hot chocolate.

I'll happily wear my white band and drink my coffee and I don't care what anyone else thinks. Also I'll be at the march tomorrow in Edinburgh.

Regarding the cup sizes, personally I've got more to worry myself about than if I ask for a Grande or a medium, get over it!

starbucks is covenient, i mean they have decent drinks, a decent place, its bloody everywhere and it is open late at least in ym neighborhood. i dont go there often but still once in a while a friend sugegsts it and ill go, and yes im one of those people who stay there for 5 hours chatting away and NO it's not a "cool" thing at all.
it's just talking about the exicstence of life or therefore lack of with a close friend.
i am from mexico and there when you go have coffee it is to talk and hang out it's not to get the coffee and leave in a hurry.
things are a lot slower down in the third countries and strangely enough aside the poverty it is more relaxing.

Well, we have Chai, but I don't know what Big Train is. Is "Big Train" the name of a coffee shop? Or a brand of Chai?

big train is just a brand. they make a powdered chai and a "frappuccino" type mix that you can make a blended ice drink with
Its better than starbucks by a long shot IMO
I used to make it at the first coffee shop I worked at

Back
Top Bottom