Why all the hate against Starbucks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Coffee :drool:, sorry i can drink this shit all day...it's probably doing horrible things to my insides, but it is my only drug..i love yummy alcoholic drinks but i definitely do limit myself as to not drink it often...but coffee i try anf try but it's too damn difficult...mmmmm espresso, bailey's, kalhua...:drool:

i personally don't see the big deal about starbucks, if it is a social thing then it makes sense but the coffee there is only decent there are other local coffee shops that offer more variety, lower prices, and better taste :up:..i guess starbucks is just 'convenient' because it is practically EVERYWHERE. If i had to drink coffee from a Corporate shop I would go with Coffee Bean, i prefer the taste.

but all you need is an espresso/coffee machine at home and you can make coffee perfect to your taste.

and an ice machine...and blender;)

Starbucks is way overpriced for the quality of coffee. Luckily I'm not a big coffee drinker so I don't go there that often. The service is almost always good, though. :)

Peet's Coffee tastes much, much better. :D

RedrocksU2 said:

Tower Records employees, Starbucks employees, MAC cosmetics girls (and guys?), Border Bookstore employees......all the same....I think they are clones of the same species or something...:huh: .....hmmm...this could be a good thread:hmm:

Wow, you need to come to my MAC cosmetics! They are so unbelievably nice. I would never have purchased their make-up if they hadn't been so nice, considerate and patient with me because I'm terrified of cosmetics counters.

But when I've been to the one at Cherry Creek--:yikes:! They are horrible. So mine must be really special.

Doozer61 said:
I prefer "Its a grind". Its a little, local chain that started here in Long Beach.

We have that here in west Michigan, but I've never tried (since I hate coffee).

inmyplace13 said:
First of all, I've never had a drink at Starbucks that I didn't enjoy thoroughly. But just setting foot in there makes me feel like a trendy piece of shit. I'm not saying this is everyone, but oftentimes a Starbucks patron is a snooty and pompous dick. Who brings their laptop to get a fucking cup of coffee?

Starbucks isn't just a place to get a drink, it's a place to be seen. And that's my biggest problem with it. It's just a trendy hot spot for people who want to be perceived a certain way. People who buy in to the Starbucks machine and submit themselves to it. It's like a cult, in a way.

The point is, Starbucks is all well and good until you think it's a cool place to be seen. Sitting on your lappy after you've finished your coffee long ago isn't "cool", it's sad. Just get your drink and go.

Hell, I think the coffee at 7-11 is just as good.

*stands and applauds!!

Interesting all that anyone's talked about is the coffee itself. Noone seems to want to talk about how Starbucks is another of those capitalist organisations who want to take over the world, exclude trade unions to ensure fairness for all employees, produce a common product in all their stores so that Americans when they travel abroad don't have to have "foreign food" and can have their double mocha skimmer latte anywhere together with their McDonalds because God forbid shallow Americans should experience the culture of the foreign land, while they sit and watch American sitcoms.

No, let's talk about the taste of the coffee. :|

Sparkysgrrrl said:
I don't know which thread to respond to now lol
So I'll put it in this one too -

One reason for the "hatred"
Fair Trade Issue -
http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/
http://www.globalexchange.org/campa.../starbucks.html

I just wish they would do more with the power they have, especially if they are going to keep raising thier prices, at least pay the growers what they can live on.

I'm so glad you brought that up.

Starbucks Profits as Farmers Starve
Ask them to Brew Fair Trade!

Starbucks is the largest specialty coffee chain in the world. While world coffee prices have plummeted from an average of $1/pound to less than 50 cents, Starbucks increased its profits by 34% to $46.8 million!

As a result of grassroots pressure, Starbucks now offers Fair Trade coffee BEANS in all its US stores. However, Fair Trade represents approximately 1% of all Starbucks purchases, making Starbucks one of the lowest volume Fair Trade companies. We need to increase that volume! If all Starbucks cafes were to offer BREWED Fair Trade coffee, it would represent about 37,500 pounds a day.

$2,145,000
2001 salary of Orin Smith,
CEO of Starbucks

$300
Avgerage yearly salary
for coffee farmer

What You Can Do:

Send a free fax from the Global Exchange website:
http://www.globalexchange.org/coffee

Contact Starbucks with your concerns:
Orin Smith, CEO, Starbucks Coffee Company, P.O. Box 34067 Seattle, WA 98124-1067
Fax: 06-447-3432
Email: Osmith@starbucks.com

Always ask for brewed Fair Trade
coffee when you go to Starbucks!

http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/coffee/starbucks.html

Maybe those two employees of Starbucks, if they care about this issue, want to take some form of action with their employers?

RedrocksU2 said:
I did not there was much hate for Starbucks.....

However like it was posted before, some of their employees seem to have a chip on their shoulders.....

Tower Records employees, Starbucks employees, MAC cosmetics girls (and guys?), Border Bookstore employees......all the same....I think they are clones of the same species or something...:huh: .....hmmm...this could be a good thread:hmm:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I can't let you talk about my MAC girls like that! :wink: They have alway been super nice to me. What are ya doing at the MAC counter anyway?

As for Starbucks, I've always found the service to be great. Around where I live we have most of the above mentioned places. I don't really like coffee, only the doctored up flavored stuff.

Dunkin Donuts iced coffee drinks are pretty good. My students say I talk too fast when I drink them though. :happy:

ewen said:

I'm so glad you brought that up.

Starbucks Profits as Farmers Starve
Ask them to Brew Fair Trade!

Starbucks is the largest specialty coffee chain in the world. While world coffee prices have plummeted from an average of $1/pound to less than 50 cents, Starbucks increased its profits by 34% to $46.8 million!

As a result of grassroots pressure, Starbucks now offers Fair Trade coffee BEANS in all its US stores. However, Fair Trade represents approximately 1% of all Starbucks purchases, making Starbucks one of the lowest volume Fair Trade companies. We need to increase that volume! If all Starbucks cafes were to offer BREWED Fair Trade coffee, it would represent about 37,500 pounds a day.

$2,145,000
2001 salary of Orin Smith,
CEO of Starbucks

$300
Avgerage yearly salary
for coffee farmer

What You Can Do:

Send a free fax from the Global Exchange website:
http://www.globalexchange.org/coffee

Contact Starbucks with your concerns:
Orin Smith, CEO, Starbucks Coffee Company, P.O. Box 34067 Seattle, WA 98124-1067
Fax: 06-447-3432
Email: Osmith@starbucks.com

Always ask for brewed Fair Trade
coffee when you go to Starbucks!

http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/coffee/starbucks.html

Maybe those two employees of Starbucks, if they care about this issue, want to take some form of action with their employers?

:up: we actually do serve brewed fair trade and we sell a surprising amount of it
But Im sure its not like that in every store
Personally I think we could do without brewing that shit italian roast, and the horrendously disgusting house blend and brew more fair trade :|

Wearing my 'financeguy' hat, economic theory suggests that even 'unfair' trade is a lot better than no trade at all.

i love starbucks. Yum, yum, yum. If farmers are willing to accept a certain price for their beans then so be it. If they want to be paid more then they should organize together...... yuck...I can't believe I'm advocating unionization. :|

jer2911 said:
yuck...I can't believe I'm advocating unionization. :|

Indeed, in my experience in developed countries unions rarely seem to act in the public interest but I can see a possible need for them in poorer countries.

u2bonogirl said:
thats a very good point :|
bono covered in sugar :drool:
sorry....waaaaaaay off topic. But remember the fair trade pics with all the celebrities? :D

You are killing today!!!:lmao: :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom