Why all the hate against Starbucks? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 06-28-2005, 06:56 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:36 AM
I love and hate Starbucks. I hate it only because I'm so addicted to it and it's costing too much.

I used to agree with your views and prefer an independent shop. But, I was often frustrated at the inconsistency. I LOVE my coffee and I want the same one all the time. If I go into any Starbucks and order my Latte I know it's gonna be good. That's why I go there. That and all the local ones know me and usually have my coffee ready for me when I get to the counter I've seen very few employees that aren't really nice.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:59 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:36 AM
ill have a venti sized triple mocha chino something blah blah latte

Old 06-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #18
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
I like Starbucks.. but I like the Starbucks coffee I make at home better

My boss just gave me a Starbucks card.. its pretty cool. She was thanking me for handling a situation and making executive decisions while she was out of town last week
Old 06-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Originally posted by randhail
The hate for Starbucks is because of the smarmy hippy people they have working there.

Thank you

and everyone with their laptops sitting around the fireplace all geeked out...
Old 06-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #20
New Yorker
The whole "Starbucks is an evil corporation" thing comes from the perception -- whether true or not -- that Starbucks has a history of purposely opening stores right next to or across the street from independent coffee houses with the intent of putting them out of business. I don't know if that is indeed Starbucks' strategy, but I do know it's a perception people have.

I buy coffee there. In my opinion, Starbucks' coffee is bitter, but I've developed a taste for it.

As for the employees, almost without exception I find them very cool and personable.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
I don't mind starbucks but I can't drink their stuff every day. That crap will ruin your insides!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #22
New Yorker
I like the Cafe Mochas. It's the only thing I'll get from there, I like to make workman's tea at home.

What drives me nuts about Starbucks is that they are literally everywhere. You know it's bad when you go to a home decor store and they have a Starbucks.

But it's less the stores than the people who go there--working at Barnes and Noble, I decided that this coffee obsession is less a sign of refinement and more a sign of serious addiction. That worries me.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Originally posted by pax
That said, though...a Starbucks caramel macchiato is a lovely occasional treat.
yum...the caramel macchiato is pretty much the ONLY drink I order at Starbucks. As to the hatred, I don't HATE the place, but I do get tired of its ubiquitousness. It's EVERYWHERE. I'll go if it's convenient (ie. I'm at Barnes and Noble in the U.S.) but if I'm in Paris or Venice for godsakes I wouldn't shame myself to step foot in the place.

That said, we had a much better chain in the Minnesota area called Caribou. The coffee was better and the sizes were actually what they say they are: small, medium and large.
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Chizip
i once went to a starbucks in columbus, ohio. the person working there was a huuuuuge hippy. i think she was a U2 fan though.

I'm not a hippy! I come from punk rock!

There is one really wierd barista that works in a store in Ashburn, Virginia though....Talk about swarmy hippy....
Old 06-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
I did not there was much hate for Starbucks.....

However like it was posted before, some of their employees seem to have a chip on their shoulders.....

Tower Records employees, Starbucks employees, MAC cosmetics girls (and guys?), Border Bookstore employees......all the same....I think they are clones of the same species or something... .....hmmm...this could be a good thread
Old 06-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #26
Local Time: 11:36 AM
I agree that the names Starbucks gives to its sizes is beyond pretentious. But the peppermint mocha drink they put out around the holidays is the shit!

However, because I like to keep my money in my community, I usually patronize locally owned coffee places. Milwaukee is filled with them-Rochambo, Comet Cafe, Alterra, Fuel Cafe.

The funny thing is, when my friend Jean visited me from NYC, I took her too many of the local coffee places and she said Milwaukee coffee is so much stronger thatn NYC coffee.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #27
love, blood, life
Local Time: 12:36 AM
First of all, I've never had a drink at Starbucks that I didn't enjoy thoroughly. But just setting foot in there makes me feel like a trendy piece of shit. I'm not saying this is everyone, but oftentimes a Starbucks patron is a snooty and pompous dick. Who brings their laptop to get a fucking cup of coffee?

Starbucks isn't just a place to get a drink, it's a place to be seen. And that's my biggest problem with it. It's just a trendy hot spot for people who want to be perceived a certain way. People who buy in to the Starbucks machine and submit themselves to it. It's like a cult, in a way.

The point is, Starbucks is all well and good until you think it's a cool place to be seen. Sitting on your lappy after you've finished your coffee long ago isn't "cool", it's sad. Just get your drink and go.

Hell, I think the coffee at 7-11 is just as good.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
While I did say that starbucks employees can be smamy hippies, many of them I have encountered have been quite good. However, the smarmy ones can be quite bad. I'm not making a big deal about this but last winter I was in a starbucks, admittedly dressed like a slob because I had been skiing all day and had the full smarmy treatment given to me. I don't remember the exact context of the situation (maybe a long wait) but the employee said something to the effect of "it's ok because he's dressed in ski clothes" to another employee. I didn't get mad, it was more of a "are you kidding me" reaction. Oh well. Apparently since I didn't have my laptop and my jetta wasn't in the parking lot, I didn't get the best service.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by starsgoblue

I'm not a hippy! I come from punk rock!

There is one really wierd barista that works in a store in Ashburn, Virginia though....Talk about swarmy hippy....
Bugger off hippy brat!

Im the only cool person they have working there. Everybody else is yuppie cheese

Yes, stars and I work for the hated starbucks and theyre a pretty damn good place to work for.
I cant drink the drip coffee there. Its sludge to me, but for the record, the beans sold there are high quality and very good if made the way you like it at home.
Theres extensive work done to ensure that everybody behind that counter knows how to make the drink to the starbucks standard.
Weight, temperature, taste..
The reason its so bloody hot ewen, is that we're only allowed to heat the milk twice and then we have to toss it. Therefore its much easier to heat it to the maximum temperature and then have more time to keep it and let it cool

I dont like my drinks hot either. All you have to do is ask for it not too hot

My beef? I cant have my tattoos showing at work even though every freakin customer wants to see them
Old 06-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #30
War Child
Local Time: 03:36 AM
I don't know which thread to respond to now lol
So I'll put it in this one too -

One reason for the "hatred"
Fair Trade Issue -

I just wish they would do more with the power they have, especially if they are going to keep raising thier prices, at least pay the growers what they can live on.