Who's your favorite song writer, John Lennon, Paul McCartney or George Harrison?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umightsay

The Fly
I personally loved John Lennon as a song writer, the soul of his voice and his songs will always be at the top of my list. (Love, Mind Games, John Sinclaire,Jealous Guy) pure genius.........
Oh, and I almost forgot the fourth Beatle, how about Ringo Starr as a song writer?
:| :| :|

I think all of them are good. Lennon and McCartney obviously the stronger forces.

If I had to pick favorite songs...This is a hard choice. :hmm:

Lennon - Nobody Told Me or Working Class Hero

McCartney - Calico Skies or Single Pigeon

Harrison - All Things Must Pass or Apple Scruffs

Starr - Photograph or Vertical Man

Last edited:
:) yertle. yeah joe strummer, of course!

lennon/mccartney

just listen to their solo stuff for proof as to why they were better together. they each have a few great solo songs, stuff that very few people could ever come close to writing either collaboratly or solo. but it's still not a comparrison to be made.

and george harrison wrote some excellent songs. not only is he an underrated songwriter, but he's one of the most underrated guitarists ever. *double checking to make sure i said underrated...once i accidentally said overrated cos i was thinking too hard not to mistype it*

ringo starr...well...he's just one of those people who perpetuates the rumor that drummers can't write for shit :uhoh: not saying i didn't like some of the songs he wrote, but i wouldn't put them up there with my favourites...

Last edited:
Seabird said:
Paul. You can tell the Paul songs despite the conjoined songwriter tag. you can also tell when they started writing seperate of each other, about 1966.

oddly enough he's not trying to take full credit for those now, he's just reversing the names :rolleyes:

edgette, you didn't think vertical man was a horrible album? i loved it when it came out, but since then i've heard a bit more music by a few more people, and it sounds like crap...someone wrote a song recently that sounded like it almostdirectly ripped off "mindfield" though. probably not intentional, but i found it amusing. wish i could remember who it was.

They're all great songwriters, all with their own identity. I think I liked Lennon the best, but McCartney and Harrison were both amazing talents. Admittedly it's been awhile since I listened to any of their music so I'm going to pass on mentioning fave songs.

Lennon for sure.

not to steal the thread... but IWB and Yertle what did you think of the new(last) joe strummer record? I saw one of the videos recently, it sounded great!

Paul is the best traditional songwriter...and the most successful I can name more McCartney tunes than Lennon and Harrison combined, so he definitely has written the most memorable songs.

Lennon, however, wrote serious tunes where the meaning behind the song was more important than the song itself. That makes him a more relevent songwriter.

Harrison was underestimated since the early days of the Beatles, so he's surprised most of us when he succeeded with tunes like "Here Comes the Sun", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Something". While he wrote fewer songs compared to his bandmates, his material was stronger than Paul and John simply because he didn't release anything subpar. He had fewer albums, fewer singles, fewer duds.

Considering these factors I'd say McCartney is my favorite, but Lennon and Harrison are among my favorites in rock and roll. McCartney's versatile abilities prove he's easily accessible to many different types of music fans. He can be serious, but he can also be the goofiest card in the deck. Harrison and Lennon tended to craft the same image throughout their careers; album after album they kept the same attitude, and that grew very dull in my opinion.

McCartney gets my vote.

AcrobatMan said:
NONE OF THESE :|

whats there to write in "i wanna hold you hand" and such stuff.

yuo say that as if they only wrote the first couple of albums and quit right there

John by far. Paul had his good songs such as Yesterday, etc, but it always seemed to me like he was trying too hard. john however, always seemed just to write his emotinos into songs. Think of it- In my life, Jealous Guy, Revolution, etc...

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

and as if that's not a fantastic pop song. Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy to write.

another good point. i'd say it's a lot better crafted than the majority of hit radio pop music on airwaves at present, but that's opening up a can of worms...

So Sgt. Pepper took you by surprise
You better see right through that mother's eyes
Those freaks was right when they said you was dead
The one mistake you made was in your head
Ah, how do you sleep?
Ah, how do you sleep at night?
You live with straights who tell you you was king
Jump when your momma tell you anything
The only thing you done was Yesterday
And since you're gone you're just another day
Ah, how do you sleep?
Ah, how do you sleep at night?