Who's your favorite painter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
I like the Pop Art genre of Andy Warhol and Roy Lichenstien.
Which genre and artists do you guys like?

Georgia O'Keeffe. She was also my grandmother's favorite painter, so I feel like I'm sharing something with her when I look at O'Keeffe's paintings. The display at the Art Institute in Chicago is especially mind-blowing.

Van Gogh :up:
I have the painting "Starry Night" hanging in my room.

Chagall :drool:

Chagall_IandTheVillage.jpg

chagal6.jpg

Wolf Kahn is another favorite of mine.

artwork_images_738_292148_wolf-kahn.jpg

Oh, and my grandmother. Althought I'm probably biased on that one. :D

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

French Impressionists: Renoir, Monet, Degas, etc.

Boticelli

Peter Paul Rubens - I just love the colours and sensuality and the glorious baroque over-the-topness of his paintings

Edvard Munch - I think his painting of Madonna is one of the most disturbing and powerful artworks I've seen

Wassily Kandinsky - most of the abstract art leaves me cold, but I love his work

Jackson Pollack and Salvador Dali. I'm surprised no one's mentioned Dali yet either.

^ Sparkysgrrrl did/does...hasn't been around in awhile though.

I guess my favorite painter would be either Rothko, Chagall or Van Gogh...don't think I could decide between the three though, and at any given time I might be more interested in looking at some other painter's work. :shrug:

Westport said:

Monet is incredible :up:

Starry Night is maybe my favourite of his.

I'm also a big fan of Canadian realist Ken Danby...he creates art that you can almost step into :drool:

balimistga1.jpg

headsummersuncn2.jpg

His best-known work, "At The Crease." When I was a kid, I found this so haunting. I still do, but it's now moved from haunting to intriguing. I wonder about what you can't see...the other players on the ice, and so on.

atthecrease300ppiep8.jpg

The father of one of my best friends is in one of Rockwell's lesser-known paintings, called "The Right to Know." They lived a few towns over from Stockbridge, MA, where Rockwell lived. I can't remember how he ended up in the painting--I think he may have been doing some work on Rockwell's house.

He's in the back row, directly above and one person over from the guy in the tan sportcoat in the front row. He sort of looks like a young Jack Nicholson.

artwork_images_153_127100_norman-rockwell.jpg

My friend has a postcard of the painting, but it's one of the few that wasn't printed and mass-marketed. I've been trying to find a print for him for years, but I don't think one exists.

I'm not a huge Rockwell fan, but I've been to his museum in Stockbridge, and it's a nice way to spend an afternoon.

I'm not nearly as into paintings as I am photography and sculpture, but I love...

One of my favorite children's authors, Patricia Polacco (met her when I was little)
chicken.GIF
polacco_sm.gif

Norman Rockwell
Rockwell.jpg

Not painters, but also...

Escher
escher.png

Another favorite children's author, Chris Van Allsburg
0395389496.jpg

http://teacherweb.com/AL/Wright/ChrisVanAllsburg/harris5.gif[/img
[img]http://wwwstatic.bayareawritingproject.org/images/SanRamonMichelle06/OscarandAlphonse.jpg

My grandmother! Her work is represented in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City; The National Museum of Women in the Arts, in Washington DC and the Columbus Museum of Fine Arts. She's studied art in Paris and Japan. I wish I had some digital pictures to share with you guys... :(

Back
Top Bottom