Whos your fave music act from YOUR country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I stick with my state (Iowa) I don't have many choices. I'm going with the Everly Brothers.

If I get to choose from the entire USA, my choice is Bruce Springsteen.

If I had to pick from my state, I think that would leave me with ... uh ... The Violent Femmes and the BoDeans, if anyone but me knows who they are.

Yep, that's them! The only other song of theirs I know is called "Good Things," and it's really great.

"Closer to Free" is a cracking'un for sure.

I love the Gin Blossoms' 2 songs!

Yeah, late 80s and early 90s.

Shoot, I was hoping to find a good video of "Good Things." There are just a few shitty recordings on YouTube, though. The version I have is from a live album they put out.

Oh well. They're from the same city as where I went to college.

Oh, I bet!

I worked at a mall record store for a while after college, and this one time this woman came in and was all chatty, very friendly. She said she was the mother of one of the guys in VF (it may have been Gordon, but I can't remember). I wasn't sure if she was full of shit or not. But she was very nice.

One of the biggest radio stations in Australia ranked Blister In The Sun by the VFs as the greatest song of all time in a countdown of 2005 songs.

Narrowing down just to my state of California still leaves me with Oingo Boingo & The Red Hot Chili Peppers :up: (The Doors still get a mention too)

Country of birth? Well, India's rock scene is really underground for the most part and I'm not too familiar with it, especially in recent years. Indus Creed (or Rock Machine as they were known back then) started it all in the late 80s/early 90s and I'll say they're my favorite band, although they turned into this Indian music fusion band or something late in the 90s and I lost track. As for music in general, we've had "Bollywood" music of course for ages! Favorite singers: Udit Narayan, Sonu Nigam, Shaan.

My daughter loves Indian music and sends me new songs all the time. I don't have any of those artists though... :hmm: Can you give me a few song suggestions?

Americans ought to go with from their state.

In that case, I'll take the Okk's.

Going with my state, I've gotta go with The Beach Boys , then The Doors, The Grateful Dead, The Mothers of Invention, Devo (Ohio technically), Wall of Voodoo, Santana, Oingo Boingo, Buffalo Springfield...........

too many :D

If I had to pick from my state, I think that would leave me with ... uh ... The Violent Femmes and the BoDeans, if anyone but me knows who they are.

I own BoDeans records and have seen them in concert. They're great. Whatever happened to them?

100_7590.jpg

All you lucky people with the luxury of so many acts to choose from! :madspit:

For me it'd probably be Silverchair (Diorama onwards, their earlier singles are good as well) and INXS. Great to see someone mention Icehouse, love some of their stuff.. Maybe The Whitlams, if I gave them more of a chance.

Honestly though it's slim pickins here in Australia. :sigh:

My daughter loves Indian music and sends me new songs all the time. I don't have any of those artists though... :hmm: Can you give me a few song suggestions?

Actually how Bollywood works is there's a lyricist and then there is what they call a playback singer. So the singers don't write the songs. So unless you're going for Shaan's or Sonu Nigam's solo album or something, it's better to just get movie soundtracks where they are featured. I know that makes it hard to pick. Anyway I can give you some song suggestions:

Tanha Dil - Shaan (from solo album of same name)
Dil Kya Kare (remix) - Shaan (the original is from an old film and by somebody else)
Mujhe Raat Din - Sonu Nigam (from film Sangharsh)
Tanhayee - Sonu Nigam (from Dil Chahta Hai)
Pehla Nasha - Udit Narayan (from Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander)
Jadoo Teri Nazar - Udit Narayan (from Darr)
Chalo Tumko Lekar Chale - Shreya Ghoshal (from Jism) This one is really sensual.
Pal - KK (from his solo album of same name, pronounced pul like dull)
Aap Ki Dua - KK (from Pal)

Suggestions for movie soundtracks: Dil Se (probably my favorite overall), Dil Chahta Hai, Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Kal Ho Na Ho, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Yes Boss...

Also get the album Sifar by Lucky Ali. It is so worth it! Youtube "O Sanam" or "Lucky Ali" for samples.

Hope that helped. I kinda had to dig thru my old tapes and stuff to compile some of that. :lol: I have a love/hate thing with Bollywood. A good chunk of it is cheesy as hell but there are many beautiful songs as well.

Honestly though it's slim pickins here in Australia. :sigh:

Hey, I come from Finland, so guess how many bands I have to choose from? :angry: :D Seriously though, I like many Finnish bands and singers, but no one outside of this country has ever heard of them (especially as almost all of them sing in Finnish, too).

I'm in the USA. My favorite is Daniel Lanois.

That's awesome. :up: Daniel Lanois is an amazing talent. Obviously, he's a big reason why U2 are as big as they are. I love his guitar-playing. It's so stripped down. A definite influence on Edge's playing, in moments. This is from his latest album: YouTube - Daniel Lanois - Here Is What Is (Live)

Love this, as well: YouTube - Daniel Lanois - The Maker

When I was a kid, I thought these guys were rather good, but they quickly faded away into obscurity: YouTube - CHALK CIRCLE - This Mourning

This song is even better, but the audio is god-awful: YouTube - Chalk Circle - Me Myself and I

It always fascinates me to see what happens/doesn't happen to bands after they've had a little bit of success. :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom