who's the sore loser now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
It appears the Russians are going to try to start their very own judging scandal.

Russia to protest over 'biased' judges

SALT LAKE CITY, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Russia are to file a protest with the International Ski Federation (FIS), claiming that biased judging denied freestyle skier Olga Koroleva an Olympic gold medal in the women's aerials event on Monday.

Koroleva was leading after the first jump of the final, but had a low score in the second and was edged out of the medals, finishing fourth.

Australia's Alisa Camplin won the gold, with two Canadians, Veronica Brenner and Deidra Dionne, taking silver and bronze.

``She (Koroleva) definitely could have won today, if not the gold, then at least silver or bronze, if it wasn't for the biased judges,'' Russian Olympic Committee spokesman Gennady Shvets told Reuters.

``We are now preparing an official protest with the FIS, but we are prepared to go all the way to the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee to seek justice.

``The American and Canadian media has staged a smear campaign against Russian athletes from day one at these Winter Olympics,'' he added.

``They were behind the attempt to take away our gold medal in figure skating, now we have another scandal. If we don't stop this campaign now I don't know we will end up.''

French figure skating judge Marie-Reine Le Gougne was suspended last week for misconduct after she was one of five judges to vote for Russians Yelena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze ahead of Canada's Jamie Sale and David Pelletier for the pairs gold medal.

The International Olympic Committee later decided to award a duplicate gold medal to the Canadian pair.

uh huh. oooookay.

for some reason you just made me smile BV
smile.gif

i'm sure it is simply a coinkedink but two canadians medalled in that event...

------------------
don't.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
No, I'm sure that's NOT coincidence. Do you think they're complaining because of Australia?

you think they saw canada was awarded 2 and pounced on it or are all 'judged' sports just now going to be under a closer eye from respective national organizations?

i think it could be either one. i don't know. i didn't watch the freestyle event, but i saw the one canadian who got 100 on her second jump and it was awesome. not that i know anything about freestyle jumping.

------------------
don't.

well put it this way...the Russian official says: ``The American and Canadian media has staged a smear campaign against Russian athletes from day one at these Winter Olympics,'' he added.

``They were behind the attempt to take away our gold medal in figure skating, now we have another scandal. If we don't stop this campaign now I don't know we will end up.''

Seems pretty clear.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i'm sure it is simply a coinkedink but two canadians medalled in that event...

No, I'm sure that's NOT coincidence. Do you think they're complaining because of Australia?

Back
Top Bottom