who's seen gangs of New York?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
i just saw the moive about 20 mins ago..thought it was great :yes:

after seeing adds for during every add break of the cricket yesterday i decided to see it

i saw it

look at the avatar, can't you tell? :wink:

i saw it twice...

Yeah, I've seen it.

Didnt know you'd seen it twice already IWasBored.

Its worth the admission fee to see Daniel Day Lewis alone

I went to see it but my theater had gotten rid of it the day before :grumpy:

Everyone I know who went to see it hated it

I heard some of their accents on the radio....*shudder* ...they sounded bad

I saw it twice... in one week... in three days even... I loved it. I liked the over-the-top costuming and lighting, it made the violence seem less offensive and more in keeping with the rest of the movie. I don't think it'll be the same on TV though, but I'll still buy the DVD, and any additional special/directors/whatevers versions that follow.

I saw it. I thought it was great! I want to see it again. I made everyone I was with sit in the theater until the credits were done because there's a song at the end of the movie by a band I kind of like..................

he'd best get the oscar!

it's a good movie...very good :up:...it would have been just ok without ddl...but he made it great!

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
laura, whose accents made you cringe? all but 3 of the main actors (leo, henry thomas and cameron diaz) were from Ireland, Scotland, and England.

Leo's accent bothered me. It was decent when he was doing dialogue, but during the voice overs he sometimes had virtually no accent at all. Honestly, it didn't bug me that much and not that I'd really know since, well, I'm not Irish, but I think it could have been better.

It just opened in a theatre to the north of where I live, so that means sometime in the next month I should get to see it. Blood and all I'm looking forward to it. I love Daniel Day Lewis' work and it sounds as though he's done it again. He's up for an Academy Award for the role? I don't suppose I can vote, but I'll give praying a go. He's gives his all to the craft, he deserves it, although Nicholson is Hollywood royalty, I wonder what his role was like?
DDL predicted that Irish people would not like the movie ( a bit tongue-in-cheek maybe) but I don't think he thought it was because of the accents.
And the Oscar goes to......oh wouldn't it be loverly...

Teehee, about making your friends stay during the credits. My family don't like the way I do that, but I'm always interested in who helped make a movie I have just enjoyed. I even embarrass them further sometimes...by applauding someone's name who's work I particularly enjoyed. The caterer's usally have witty business names , I like to know who the horsemaster's were etc. and on a screen that big, I can actually read them. So there is some quite good music as well? What a bon-us!! I'm looking forward to this , immensely.
Woops a daisy....long post..again! but jolly gingoes, it's a long time between Daniel Day-Lewis movies.

day-lewis better get that oscar.

when do the oscars happen? i don't know if i can sit through another awards show (commercials, tons of things i don't care about) though.

i wish it hadn't left theatres here...

cass said:
It just opened in a theatre to the north of where I live, so that means sometime in the next month I should get to see it. Blood and all I'm looking forward to it. I love Daniel Day Lewis' work and it sounds as though he's done it again. He's up for an Academy Award for the role? I don't suppose I can vote, but I'll give praying a go. He's gives his all to the craft, he deserves it, although Nicholson is Hollywood royalty, I wonder what his role was like?
DDL predicted that Irish people would not like the movie ( a bit tongue-in-cheek maybe) but I don't think he thought it was because of the accents.
And the Oscar goes to......oh wouldn't it be loverly...

Teehee, about making your friends stay during the credits. My family don't like the way I do that, but I'm always interested in who helped make a movie I have just enjoyed. I even embarrass them further sometimes...by applauding someone's name who's work I particularly enjoyed. The caterer's usally have witty business names , I like to know who the horsemaster's were etc. and on a screen that big, I can actually read them. So there is some quite good music as well? What a bon-us!! I'm looking forward to this , immensely.
Woops a daisy....long post..again! but jolly gingoes, it's a long time between Daniel Day-Lewis movies.

www.rollingstone.com has/had an interview with day-lewis up on the site...i was told about this a few days ago, i tried posting it in a couple threads that you had been in, but i don't know if you read those again...

i went to see the movie by myself both times, the second time i got kicked out for staying and waiting THTBA to end...

I dunno I heard it on the radio- Ill ask my friend next time I see him he was going on about the accents too

well leo's accent wasn't really too good, but i think they covered that basis with the "even though hellgate had muddled my accent, the natives still couldn't tell the difference" line in the begining...

i think jack will get the oscar just based on he the fact that he always does... but daniel day-lewis deserves it... i got gangs of new york downloaded on my computer... pretty good quality too...

see...

Attachments

• desktop2.jpg
    desktop2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 27
ACROB@T said:
Its worth the admission fee to see Daniel Day Lewis alone
I felt the movie as a whole was uninspiring. Although Lewis's performance is worth the price of admission. He was outstanding!It's a shame IMO that the movie wasn't better than it was. They had the right idea, but the execution was wrong, not to mention the needless romance between Leonardo and Diaz. Why does every movie have to have a love scene???

every movie has to have a love scene so they can try to put in the romance for the few who actually like that stuff and end up going to this kind of movie

i could have done without that

but it's still my favourite movie...

Back
Top Bottom