Who's more annoying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
There are many types of music fans out there. I'm sure some of you fit into the category that I'm about to describe. I'm gonna paint with a broad brush but there are two types of fans that I've encountered who have annoyed the hell out of me...

They are the indie/ college rock snob on one end. Obviously you've met the type. They hate anything that is "mainstream." Bands like U2, Green Day, the Strokes, etc... Lovers of extremely Lo-Fi sounds or bands who are so obscure, they make Stereolab look like gathering of Britney Spears, P-Diddy, and Good Charlotte. Some punk fans fall into the category.

On the other end, there are "musicians" or musicologists, I guess. I have no accurate label to put on this crowd. However, these music fans are so obsessed with the musical aspects that in order for a song to be even "good" in their eyes they have to play a millions notes a second or use obscure scales and techniques. So guys like Michael Angelo, Steve Vai, John McLaughlin, etc. are worshipped. Prog, jazz, etc... are the IN things with these guys. If the song only has two chords, it sucks in their eyes. I'm sure you've met the type. Hell, they listen to music, and pick at it so much that if its even a little sloppy/ almost indiscernable mistake, they say it sucks.

So who do you think is more obnoxious? Hell, do any of you fall into either of these categories?

The indie/college snob. It's uaually some little shit who knows nothing about music, other than his/her selected area of praise. They don't actually like music, it's more fashion to them. They're the EXACT same as people who listen only to Top 40, only the other side of the coin. They never have favorite bands, they never actually listen to an album w/o talking over it, they never "like" a band unless it's been approved by their "scene." They should all drink gasoline.

MrBrau1 said:
The indie/college snob. It's uaually some little shit who knows nothing about music, other than his/her selected area of praise. They don't actually like music, it's more fashion to them. They're the EXACT same as people who listen only to Top 40, only the other side of the coin. They never have favorite bands, they never actually listen to an album w/o talking over it, they never "like" a band unless it's been approved by their "scene." They should all drink gasoline.

:up:

I think 'Green Day' wins most annoying band of all time - the whiny, horrible watery vocals of Billy, and the super-repetitive, incredibly limited musical style that they keep on recycling, with absolutely no innovative evolution in their blood.
'The Strokes' are the most bland band of all time, and they don't deserve much else said about them. Other than that, I love U2, and they are part of the mainstream.
Oh yes, as for the fans, I the know-it-alls of the last 1, 000 years of music history are the most annoying. The kind of people who state nothing is good unless you 'haven't heard it' on mainstream radio stations - the ever-snobbery of the Music-ologists!

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

Actually I've met "musicologists" who appreciate some of the mainstream... its the indie crowd that discounts the mainstream moreso then the musicologist snob, or so I've noticed. Its sort of funny... Of course complexity or talent (alah being able to do something very few people can do/ sing). I think Eric Johnson had one mainstream hit with Cliffs of Dover.... the musicologist would cream their pants over that song cause of the combination of speed and extremely clean playing. Or the appreciation of Mariah Carey's range... though I've been told she is fairly sloppy in terms of her singing. Green Day and the Strokes would be labeled as either too sloppy or to simple for them to listen to.

i used to be a "muscian"
luckily i avoided the temptation to drink gasline and now i can appreciate any type of music for what thats worth
i think that it is the feeling behind the music that counts, not the fact that you can play 1000+ notes per second....
indie kids piss me off the most.....

I like music. I like music indie snobs like. I like music musicologists like. I like music people with "no taste" like. I'm a whore.

Back
Top Bottom