Whorehouse Meadow Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. I'll send it to you when I feel it is perfect. AKA tomorrow.

I don't think I have seen Vertigo comics at my local comic book stores. What do you recommend?

That comic sounds cool. If it is focused on identity than I bet there will be great characters. So it will be a historical peice sort of?

Alright, cool. :)

Vertigo published Preacher by Garth Ennis, which is far as I know the most popular adult comic ever. It's good, but I think very much overrated. I don't think Ennis is as good with dialogue as a lot of people think, a lot of the weirder parts of it seem forced, too. Still, it's a very good read. And it has an Irish vampire in it (No surprise, Ennis is from Belfast). I don't buy comics regularly, mainly due to money restrictions, but check out any Scalped at your comics store. Pretty sure they'll have them - should give you a good taste of what you can expect from the publisher, though I think it's far above the average.

I'm undecided with exactly how historical the piece will be. I want to make the appearances of the characters accurate, at least - but it's not like they'll be speaking Latin or anything. I don't think any historical persona - at least not famous ones - will be main characters, and it won't include any major battles from the time, just skirmishes that affect the characters (the Iberians were the first people to use guerrilla warfare). I was considering writing about Viratho, an ancient general from what is now Portugal - but I wanted to write my own story instead, and I didn't want to twist the truth too much (300 is an example here).

:lmao: Tori Amos is freaking awesome, and she's totally taking over my brain. Every song is weirder than the last.

Seriously, any song that contains the words "Colonel dirtyfishydishcloth" wins in my book.

Alright, cool. :)

Vertigo published Preacher by Garth Ennis, which is far as I know the most popular adult comic ever. It's good, but I think very much overrated. I don't think Ennis is as good with dialogue as a lot of people think, a lot of the weirder parts of it seem forced, too. Still, it's a very good read. And it has an Irish vampire in it (No surprise, Ennis is from Belfast). I don't buy comics regularly, mainly due to money restrictions, but check out any Scalped at your comics store. Pretty sure they'll have them - should give you a good taste of what you can expect from the publisher, though I think it's far above the average.

I'm undecided with exactly how historical the piece will be. I want to make the appearances of the characters accurate, at least - but it's not like they'll be speaking Latin or anything. I don't think any historical persona - at least not famous ones - will be main characters, and it won't include any major battles from the time, just skirmishes that affect the characters (the Iberians were the first people to use guerrilla warfare). I was considering writing about Viratho, an ancient general from what is now Portugal - but I wanted to write my own story instead, and I didn't want to twist the truth too much (300 is an example here).

I'll look for Scalped. Sounds interesting.

I would read your comic. It is probably best to stay away from history. I think a look at guerrilla warfare would be interesting considering today's world. Good luck. :up:

Yea, that's the rest of them lyrics DOL :wink:

Okay, I'm tired and I'm going to go to bed
I had a couple drinks about an hour ago
And they've gone straight... to... my... head.

tic tic tic

Lemahn! See through in the sunlight.

Ahem

Nighty night all.

See you later, Ravva!

I'm also off. Should be back sometime mid-evening. Have a good one, folks. :wave:

I would read your comic. It is probably best to stay away from history. I think a look at guerrilla warfare would be interesting considering today's world. Good luck. :up:

Yeah, I don't want it to only appeal to history nerds. But I want it to still interest them, while also bringing in other readers. I think the time the comic is set in is a good one that modern readers should hopefully relate to - we even saw the first major economic depression there not too far earlier, due to the extensive mining in Spain as performed by the Romans and Carthaginians. I just don't want to make it a story that could be done anywhere else, but with falcatas. I want it to be unique.

:wave: See ya Axver and Ravva.

How many people in here make comics??? Jeez. I thought I was special. :lmao:

I was thinking the same. :lol:

I sketch rough comics with a biro before I go to bed, working with layouts and dialogue even if the plot is shit. I love the comic medium, but I think it still only appeals to certain types of people. It needs to reach more.

I sketch rough comics with a biro before I go to bed, working with layouts and dialogue even if the plot is shit. I love the comic medium, but I think it still only appeals to certain types of people. It needs to reach more.

But hey, perhaps if we're all making comics, it's a good sign for the future. :up: It definitely needs to reach more people. My comics are just more detailed and complex versions of my U2 cartoons, but for REAL artists, it's an incredible medium, and for me, it's just a lot of fun. I mostly love writing scripts, but animating can be fun too.

I think great characters and mythologies appeal to tons of people in some form or another. I hope my comics inspire people to think about their own lives and find something to believe in. I hope my writing makes people see their worth no matter how different or alien they may be.

But hey, perhaps if we're all making comics, it's a good sign for the future. :up: It definitely needs to reach more people. My comics are just more detailed and complex versions of my U2 cartoons, but for REAL artists, it's an incredible medium, and for me, it's just a lot of fun. I mostly love writing scripts, but animating can be fun too.

So I read your comic, LemonMelon. I really liked the quirkiness. I'm not sure how I feel about the numbered dialouge though. You are really good at parody. Perhaps in your series you could do sketchs instead of a straight story or somehow incorporate those things. I really enjoyed it. To be honest though I enjoyed your U2 parodies more.

So I read your comic, LemonMelon. I really liked the quirkiness. I'm not sure how I feel about the numbered dialouge though. You are really good at parody. Perhaps in your series you could do sketchs instead of a straight story or somehow incorporate those things. I really enjoyed it. To be honest though I enjoyed your U2 parodies.

Perhaps I should get a job on Family Guy and bring the show back from the dead. :wink:

Glad you enjoyed it. I hate the numbered dialogue too. It's a mess, which is a shame because the dialogue is generally quite witty and the lines tend to bounce off one another, and if you can't find one of the bubbles immediately, it loses the effect.

Do you think it would make for a good television show?

Perhaps I should get a job on Family Guy and bring the show back from the dead. :wink:

Glad you enjoyed it. I hate the numbered dialogue too. It's a mess, which is a shame because the dialogue is generally quite witty and the lines tend to bounce off one another, and if you can't find one of the bubbles immediately, it loses the effect.

Do you think it would make for a good television show?

I think it would if you included your parities. People would love your animated parities. It would make people investigate who you were making light of. Another good thing is that when spoken your dialouge will be quicker. Some of the best comedy is fast paced. Maybe if you make your plots really insane you might be able to get on Adult Swim or something. This is a good start. I think after some more time it will come together for you. So my only suggestion is include your parodies and that will get you far.

I think it would if you included your parities. People would love your animated parities. It would make people investigate who you were making light of. Another good thing is that when spoken your dialouge will be quicker. Some of the best comedy is fast paced. Maybe if you make your plots really insane you might be able to get on Adult Swim or something. This is a good start. I think after some more time it will come together for you. So my only suggestion is include your parodies and that will get you far.

Thanks for the suggestions. :up: I think the dialogue would feel so much quicker if you didn't have to read it, but I agree, fast, witty dialogue is the way to go for me. And parodies are always great. I'm quite proud of those fake youtube comments I came up with.

Thanks for the suggestions. :up: I think the dialogue would feel so much quicker if you didn't have to read it, but I agree, fast, witty dialogue is the way to go for me. And parodies are always great. I'm quite proud of those fake youtube comments I came up with.

I loved the Youtube links. Really funny stuff and true. That's the kind of parity stuff I'm talking about. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom