Whorehouse Meadow Superthread - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #841
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Cool. I'll send it to you when I feel it is perfect. AKA tomorrow.

I don't think I have seen Vertigo comics at my local comic book stores. What do you recommend?

That comic sounds cool. If it is focused on identity than I bet there will be great characters. So it will be a historical peice sort of?
Alright, cool.

Vertigo published Preacher by Garth Ennis, which is far as I know the most popular adult comic ever. It's good, but I think very much overrated. I don't think Ennis is as good with dialogue as a lot of people think, a lot of the weirder parts of it seem forced, too. Still, it's a very good read. And it has an Irish vampire in it (No surprise, Ennis is from Belfast). I don't buy comics regularly, mainly due to money restrictions, but check out any Scalped at your comics store. Pretty sure they'll have them - should give you a good taste of what you can expect from the publisher, though I think it's far above the average.

I'm undecided with exactly how historical the piece will be. I want to make the appearances of the characters accurate, at least - but it's not like they'll be speaking Latin or anything. I don't think any historical persona - at least not famous ones - will be main characters, and it won't include any major battles from the time, just skirmishes that affect the characters (the Iberians were the first people to use guerrilla warfare). I was considering writing about Viratho, an ancient general from what is now Portugal - but I wanted to write my own story instead, and I didn't want to twist the truth too much (300 is an example here).

Old 05-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #842
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Tori Amos is freaking awesome, and she's totally taking over my brain. Every song is weirder than the last.

Seriously, any song that contains the words "Colonel dirtyfishydishcloth" wins in my book.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #843
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
OK, I'm just deciding which one. I'm working on episode 78 right now, so...a lot to choose from.
Wow. Take your time.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #844
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Alright, cool.

Vertigo published Preacher by Garth Ennis, which is far as I know the most popular adult comic ever. It's good, but I think very much overrated. I don't think Ennis is as good with dialogue as a lot of people think, a lot of the weirder parts of it seem forced, too. Still, it's a very good read. And it has an Irish vampire in it (No surprise, Ennis is from Belfast). I don't buy comics regularly, mainly due to money restrictions, but check out any Scalped at your comics store. Pretty sure they'll have them - should give you a good taste of what you can expect from the publisher, though I think it's far above the average.

I'm undecided with exactly how historical the piece will be. I want to make the appearances of the characters accurate, at least - but it's not like they'll be speaking Latin or anything. I don't think any historical persona - at least not famous ones - will be main characters, and it won't include any major battles from the time, just skirmishes that affect the characters (the Iberians were the first people to use guerrilla warfare). I was considering writing about Viratho, an ancient general from what is now Portugal - but I wanted to write my own story instead, and I didn't want to twist the truth too much (300 is an example here).
I'll look for Scalped. Sounds interesting.

I would read your comic. It is probably best to stay away from history. I think a look at guerrilla warfare would be interesting considering today's world. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #845
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Yea, that's the rest of them lyrics DOL

Okay, I'm tired and I'm going to go to bed
I had a couple drinks about an hour ago
And they've gone straight... to... my... head.

tic tic tic

Lemahn! See through in the sunlight.

Ahem

Nighty night all.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #846
The Male

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Quote:
Wow. Take your time.
Sent it your way. Decided on a more recent episode.

Now.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #847
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud13 View Post
Tori Amos is freaking awesome, and she's totally taking over my brain. Every song is weirder than the last.

Seriously, any song that contains the words "Colonel dirtyfishydishcloth" wins in my book.
This is my favorite Tori Amos performance. She goes mad.

YouTube - Precious Things RAINN
Old 05-23-2008, 12:09 AM   #848
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:48 AM
See you later, Ravva!

I'm also off. Should be back sometime mid-evening. Have a good one, folks.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #849
Blue Crack Addict

Bye Axver.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #850
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I would read your comic. It is probably best to stay away from history. I think a look at guerrilla warfare would be interesting considering today's world. Good luck.
Yeah, I don't want it to only appeal to history nerds. But I want it to still interest them, while also bringing in other readers. I think the time the comic is set in is a good one that modern readers should hopefully relate to - we even saw the first major economic depression there not too far earlier, due to the extensive mining in Spain as performed by the Romans and Carthaginians. I just don't want to make it a story that could be done anywhere else, but with falcatas. I want it to be unique.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #851
Blue Crack Addict

Bye to those leaving. I'm gonna go get a late lunch soon, actually.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #852
The Male

See ya Axver and Ravva.

How many people in here make comics??? Jeez. I thought I was special.

Now.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #853
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
See ya Axver and Ravva.

How many people in here make comics??? Jeez. I thought I was special.
I was thinking the same.

I sketch rough comics with a biro before I go to bed, working with layouts and dialogue even if the plot is shit. I love the comic medium, but I think it still only appeals to certain types of people. It needs to reach more.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #854
The Male

Quote:
I was thinking the same.

I sketch rough comics with a biro before I go to bed, working with layouts and dialogue even if the plot is shit. I love the comic medium, but I think it still only appeals to certain types of people. It needs to reach more.
But hey, perhaps if we're all making comics, it's a good sign for the future. It definitely needs to reach more people. My comics are just more detailed and complex versions of my U2 cartoons, but for REAL artists, it's an incredible medium, and for me, it's just a lot of fun. I mostly love writing scripts, but animating can be fun too.

Now.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #855
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I was thinking the same.

I think great characters and mythologies appeal to tons of people in some form or another. I hope my comics inspire people to think about their own lives and find something to believe in. I hope my writing makes people see their worth no matter how different or alien they may be.

Tags
superthread