Whorehouse Meadow Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends have never been big on gifts for each other. We just go out to eat and split the birthday person's meal cost, or my friend who didn't want to go out got a six pack from us...I'm glad it's not a big deal as I hate spending money and I'd be awful at getting stuff as well.

My friends from high school and I have an agreement that we simply don't get presents for each other. I believe I've told the story before about why we do this. My friend Sam's birthday is 14/01 and I'm 17/01. For his 14th birthday, I gave Sam $20. Three days later, he gave me the very same note back. From that point on, no presents. We all suck at buying presents and think money is the best gift, so we figure it's pointless to just give money we'll get back later!

What's the word limit?

my lovely department provided neither hard deadlines nor a word limit. I'm doing two credits. I kind of thought it should be around 75 pages (15k words?) based on how long friends in this department and others did their 2 credit theses. a master's thesis worth 1/3 of the degree credits in a year is 20k-25k at a mediocre so 15k seems right for 1/4 of my undergraduate year at a top institution...i guess. then, i heard a public policy minor 2 years ago did a 1 credit that was 15 pages and got by!

so basically i am hoping to hit 50 pages at this point. when i double space i'm at about 30 now, 6500 words. i'm gonna turn it in as a pdf so they can't see that i've made margins 1.3 instead of 1.25, i might make the font 12.2 and the spacing 2.1 instead of 2. bad bad bad.

my lovely department provided neither hard deadlines nor a word limit. I'm doing two credits. I kind of thought it should be around 75 pages (15k words?) based on how long friends in this department and others did their 2 credit theses. a master's thesis worth 1/3 of the degree credits in a year is 20k-25k at a mediocre so 15k seems right for 1/4 of my undergraduate year at a top institution...i guess. then, i heard a public policy minor 2 years ago did a 1 credit that was 15 pages and got by!

so basically i am hoping to hit 50 pages at this point. when i double space i'm at about 30 now, 6500 words. i'm gonna turn it in as a pdf so they can't see that i've made margins 1.3 instead of 1.25, i might make the font 12.2 and the spacing 2.1 instead of 2. bad bad bad.

Hell, that's just a bit confusing. As far as I'm aware, the Honours year thesis here is 10,000 words. I don't get how it seems some places over your way do page limits - that seems to unduly penalise people who use large words. If you're a person who writes in short words, you could fit in more content. Same if you're just lucky with your paragraph breaks.

And sneaky. :tsk: :wink:

hey can someone tell me how to make only the last line of text in a paragraph (footnote actually) have a double space? so that the footnotes individually are single spaced but there's an enter between them?

Hell, that's just a bit confusing. As far as I'm aware, the Honours year thesis here is 10,000 words. I don't get how it seems some places over your way do page limits - that seems to unduly penalise people who use large words. If you're a person who writes in short words, you could fit in more content. Same if you're just lucky with your paragraph breaks.

And sneaky. :tsk: :wink:

when i'm pressed to meet a count i totally add extra words to sentences that will push my paragraph breaks over.

hey can someone tell me how to make only the last line of text in a paragraph (footnote actually) have a double space? so that the footnotes individually are single spaced but there's an enter between them?

I have no idea. I'd just do that manually.

Also, note how the way I wrote that comment shows my clear bias towards longer word limits ... can't wait for the 10,000 word Honours thesis! Or 50,000 words for my PhD ...

Just as I was getting the hang of that "enter the page number" box, it's gone... :(

Hey Ax and Vari :wave:

ETA: I like this edit thing. Just found the box... :der:

Seems every time I whinge about something, the solution appears!

:hmm:

OH DARN I WISH I HAD MORE MONEY......

Just as I was getting the hang of that "enter the page number" box, it's gone... :(

Hey Ax and Vari :wave:

ETA: I like this edit thing. Just found the box... :der:

Seems every time I whinge about something, the solution appears!

:hmm:

OH DARN I WISH I HAD MORE MONEY......

:laugh: I could forward you an email I just got from Nigeria....

Hi Ali! :wave:

Beside the page numbers selection at the top right, see the arrow? Click on that and the page search box appears. Had to have that pointed out to me too ...

Fucked if I know. I'd go check but I'm cooking a very, very, very late dinner.

OK, just checked. Pure Honours (i.e. Honours in just one discipline) has 100 points; 37.5 for the thesis and 62.5 for coursework, which equates to five subjects over the course of the year. Combined Honours (i.e. Honours in two disciplines) is 37.5 points for thesis in one discipline, 25 points for two subjects in the same discipline as the thesis, and 37.5 points for three subjects in the other discipline.

I find it amusing that we can now see exactly how many lurkers are floating around the forums, even if we can't tell who they are... :giggle:

OK, just checked. Pure Honours (i.e. Honours in just one discipline) has 100 points; 37.5 for the thesis and 62.5 for coursework, which equates to five subjects over the course of the year. Combined Honours (i.e. Honours in two disciplines) is 37.5 points for thesis in one discipline, 25 points for two subjects in the same discipline as the thesis, and 37.5 points for three subjects in the other discipline.

jesus that's complicated

i am on my final subsection before i send it to you :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom