Whoops! UPS Callers Get Wrong Number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
From my local paper "The Saginaw News":

Tri-Cities residents who dial the wrong number for United Parcel Service may hear an offer for a shocking new type of customer service.

The latest edition of the Tri-Cities Directory, published by TransWestern Publishing, includes two numbers for the shipping company.

One connects callers to the Atlanta-based UPS customer service hotline, with information on package pick-ups and deliveries.

The other number -- a misprint, UPS officials are quick to point out -- dials up "Intimate Connections," a chat line offering "sexy introductions to live callers" for a $1.99-per-minute fee.

Officials at the Atlanta-based shipping company want to assure customers that UPS is still in the shipping business -- exclusively.

"We haven't changed anything," said UPS spokeswoman Vanessa Smith. "It's very bizarre."

Officials from TransWestern Publishing of San Diego, Calif., said the number likely once belonged to UPS and was included by mistake, said spokeswoman Kimberly Beales.

The company last month distributed nearly 200,000 copies of the directory to residents in Saginaw, Bay and Midland counties, Beales said. Editors will correct the mistake for the December 2003 version.

"It's unfortunate," Smith said, "but with the phone book it's difficult to print retractions."

This is the second consecutive year in which TransWestern has published the wrong number, Smith said.

Several confused callers have reported the error to local UPS officials, but so far the company has received no complaints from UPS or Intimate Connections customers.

The correct number for "United Parcel Service, E. Lansing" is (800) 742-5877 -- it spells out (800) PICK UPS, and is usually the only number listed for the company in local directories, Smith said.

Intimate Connections officials did not respond to questions e-mailed by The Saginaw News.

"It would be interesting to know if (the misprint) is helping their business," Smith said.

-Andy Grimm

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Dammit, this is funny!

I command you all to laugh!!!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Back
Top Bottom