Who would be a good NAME/ newsmaking addition to Live 8?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
The reformation of Pink Floyd (for just this concert) had me thinking that there are other bands out there who would give Live 8 a huge boost in terms of promotion of the event that would wow the world and get people's attention. I mean, one can't deny the Pink Floyd news was/ is huge relatively speaking. Are there any other bands/ individuals that would make Live 8 the concert event of the decade outside of the bands already on the bill that aren't performing. Sure a true reunion perfromance of Sunny Day Real Estate under their own name at Live 8 would be great for "me" but not a big deal. I'm talking Pink Floyd big deal.

Anyone got names?

People are saying we might see a Spice Girls reunion and Michael Jackson at one of the shows. Thats big star power.

I'd say the Police, Van Halen with Diamond Dave and "Van" Hagar. Maybe Zeppelin even though Bonham is dead. How about a Cream reunion or all three of the famous Yardbirds (Beck, Clapton, and Page) getting together on stage for that one night?

What about a Wham reunion? That would also be up there with Pink Floyd.

Any other suggestions. Geldof and Bono reaching for that kind of legend power would definitely attract attention. Wouldn't those guys be up for it?

Flying FuManchu said:
Maybe Zeppelin even though Bonham is dead. How about a Cream reunion or all three of the famous Yardbirds (Beck, Clapton, and Page) getting together on stage for that one night?

Those were the first three that came to mind. The latter would be especially interesting. Zeppelin already did the reunion experience at Live Aid, and I think the Phil Collins fiasco made them wary of repeating a performance without Bonzo (although Jason Bonham or Dave Grohl, like many have said, would do a decent enough job). Then again, if Live8 wanted to get Grammy style crazy, they could unite Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, Krist Novoselic, and Dave Grohl to perform a Teen Spirt/Baba O'Riley medley.

:sexywink:

I would have like to have seen the Pumpkins reform for this.

Sound fucking Garden (at least for one show)
the orginal Genesis (Peter Gabriel on vox)
McCartney, Starr, and Julian Lennon and Harrison's son
Zepp with Jason Bonham
Faith No More with Jim Martin
The Police
Alice in Chains as a trio
STP
the orginal Helmet
Depeche Mode with Alan Wilder

among others, I guess

U2DMfan said:
the original Genesis (Peter Gabriel on vox)

:drool:

Not that that many people would go nuts about it, but I know a lot of people that would... We were all at Musical Box in December when they made their appearance in L.A. doing 'Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' :bow: :bow:

:drool:

I argee with all of your ideas, here are some of mine

Bob Dylan (should come back to prove he still has it and make everybody forget about his other Liveaid performance)

Yardbirds (it was funny, I was reading this thread and somebody else had this idea but, I was thinking about them reuniting for this a couple of weeks ago. All three guitarist should be there {Clapton, Page, Beck})

Rolling Stones

I really hope Radiohead performs. It would be incredible to see them on a global scale!

What about a duet between Jay-Z and Nas in Philly!!! :hug:

The Verve reuniting would be big in the UK. Or Stone Roses.

G-d, one or both of those NEEDS to happen. Particularly The Verve....Roses' place in history is assured but the sooner people realize that URBAN HYMNS absolutely crushes OK Computer (and most any other album, too, to be fair) on a bad day, the better.

this Live 8 need TH ROLLING STONES... last time they were divided... mick jagger on his own, then keitha nd ronnie with Dylan... JUMPIN JACK FLASH :rockon:

Also, Dylan maybe, but NEIL YOUNG would be nice.. and WHERE IS PEARL JAM????!!!! :mad:

wolfeden said:
howsabout any artists actually FROM Africa? :|

And they are....?

This arguement from ppl annoys me sometimes, it happened at Live Aid back in 85 too I believe. Geldof and the organisers want big names that are gonna attract ppl to go to the gig, to go to Edinburgh, to watch it on TV and to most importantly, realise what the event is being staged for.
Now that Ladysmith....band is the ONLY African group I can think of that have become world famous - maybe others can think of some, i'm only 22.
U2, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney and (dare I say it) Coldplay, are the kind of artists that they want to help them put the message across the the public around the world.
There is also a Live8 gig now happening just down the road from me in Cornwall, which will feature ONLY African artists.

I hope that goes well...:up:

Aardvark747 said:

Easy E is dead now isnt he? The rest of them could still join up tho, perhaps for a rendition of 'Hello'....:wink:

Easy E is dead but it would be more of Jason Bonham/ John Bonham type of thing. He wasn't that great a rapper either. They've done pseudo reunions before and I think Eminem or Snoop filled in on some parts.

Geldof should get Tupac to appear. That would be a considerable coup.

Back
Top Bottom