Who thinks weddings are corny? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I think a couple needs to define the purpose of the wedding (religious, family, social, party, etc.) and structure the event accordingly. We had somewhat of a traditional wedding, but no games or stunts usually occuring at the reception.

It may be one of the few times that you can bring a group of people together.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #32
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:17 PM

Big weddings can be a great celebration...but you have to have fun with it...I don't like it too stuffy and formal. My best friend had a fairly large wedding...and at the reception, not a soul was dancing! So I started hollering, "Who wants to dance with me?", and I found/forced some volunteers. Pretty soon, more people were dancing, it was just this big, awesome party. So fun.

So...I wouldn't mind a big, "traditional" wedding...as long as I can have some fun with it.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 06:17 PM
I used to sing in a wedding band in the mid 80s (stop laughing)

all I can say is.... thank God for people like you at weddings Bonochick

(Yes.... The Wedding Singer DID hit a little too close to home with me)
Old 10-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I was scared of having a traditional wedding because Im not always your most traditional person
And I wanted something really small and low key but that didnt exactly happen
But I did get ones stuffed into my wedding dress during the reception for dancing, and I got to wear my converse all stars so everything turned out fine
I do hate sitting forever at catholic weddings through a whole mass
Old 10-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:47 PM
I don't mind weddings for the reason mentioned about how it is a rare time for your families and friends to be together all at once, I mean, other than your funeral, it doesn't happen.

But I don't like going to wedding and having work to do like being an usher,making speeches or stuff like that. My cousin was married recently and her fiancee whom I had only met twice before wanted me to stand for him in the wedding. I couldn't go so I dodged that bullet.

I agree u2bonogirl, Catholic weddings are very ceremonial, I have only been to one and was in awe of the pagentry and responses the people in the church had to make to the priest. I nearly jumped when the people started talking back to the priest. I don't know what it was about but the priest would say something and everyone would say something back.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Klingon weddings are ESPECIALLY corny.

http://custurd.b3ta.com/mirror/klingonwedding/

That's the FUNNIEST thing EVER!!!

If I ever get married, I'll probably do something weird, like hire a U2 tribute band, and dress the family pets up in little suits. On second thought, maybe God wouldn't approve of that...or the bride

Whatever form it takes, I think it's cool to be spontaneous...too many weddings are like boring funerals.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Mr. Blu & I were married by a local Justice of the Peace at his home - due to geographical & economical issues. No matter where we had a "wedding" his entire family or mine was going to have to travel & since we were paying for it & we were broke, it had to be a verrrrrrrry small affair.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have picked a natural area (a park, nature preserve, etc.) somewhere in the NC mountains (1/2 way between his folks in KY & my folks in NC), we'd have had a small civil ceremony with our siblings & parents & then partied with any friends who could have attended.

Point is, we spent about $100 bucks to get married - that includes the license & my dress - and we're just as married as folks who've spent $50,000 on a wedding. Hell, we've outlasted a lot of them! I just feel bad for couples who get railroaded into something they don't want because they're trying to make everyone else happy or trying to live up to some imaginary "fairytale wedding standard".
Old 10-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:17 PM
I've been in 15 weddings, played every role but bride and flowergirl. Yes I was even a bridesmaid once(but didn't wear a dress). In fact I'm in one more next weekend. I've attended, who knows how many. I've seen it all.

Some were amazing, some I would have rather been somewhere else. I think it's all about how the couple put themselves into the wedding, when their personalities shine through the ceremony and reception it's a good wedding.

My ceremony was somewhat big, but it definately had our personalities in it. We had an Irish bagpiper march down the aisle, the bridesmaids walked down to the church pianist playing October, we selected all of our own music for the reception, etc. We made it our own.

Now all that being said, I will never do a big wedding again. If I get married again, it's all about a few friends and the beach.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:13 PM   #39
Refugee

^ Bravo Blu Bravo
Old 10-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Have a friend whose family literally spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on the wedding. Which to me is ridiculous.

My wife organized our wedding, we kept it under $10K and had a grand time -- no muss, no fuss. We invited 120 close friends and family, kept it personal and simple (both our fathers gave speeches). I feel like the principle of a wedding is important -- vowing before family, friends, and God (if you believe in that sort of thing) to walk through life together forever. But the hoopla is a bit much.

It's a shame when people spend more time planning for the day than they do planning for the life.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Laird/Bono
^ Bravo Blu Bravo
:curtsies: Thank you. :sheepish grin:
Old 10-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:17 PM
For the most part weddings are all about trying to outdo and impress other people, it's insane what some people spend on them. It's not just all about some womens' fantasies either, I just read an article the other day about "groomzillas"

Too bad people don't try to outdo and impress others w/ their marriage and relationship rather than w/ one day of extravagance and what can often be a fake show that has nothing to do w/ reality
Old 10-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I'm really worried about how I'm ever going to afford having even a small wedding. Someone is selling a once used dress on our school forum and I honestly considered getting it now b/c I don't mind how it looks and it's less than $400
Old 10-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I'm really worried about how I'm ever going to afford having even a small wedding. Someone is selling a once used dress on our school forum and I honestly considered getting it now b/c I don't mind how it looks and it's less than $400
cheaper the better

I got married a week and a half ago...my dress cost $37 our whole wedding cost like $500 and that was for food it was like a big BBQ/party....best time ever! We couldn't get people to leave..partied all night..what a blast!!!! It was very non traditional, we wrote the ceremony had a Justice of the Peace, got married outside it was so beautiful..and cheap
Old 10-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I don't think you should worry about that all that ever matters is that you know the person is right for you and that you want to make that commitment. Think of how many women had grossly expensive dresses and have nothing else to show for it now, or who just really had the dress and the show to begin with and nothing else that was real.

Everything else to do w/ weddings is just meaningless in comparison to the commitment. I'm glad I'll never have to worry about it..