Who thinks weddings are corny?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a couple needs to define the purpose of the wedding (religious, family, social, party, etc.) and structure the event accordingly. We had somewhat of a traditional wedding, but no games or stunts usually occuring at the reception.

It may be one of the few times that you can bring a group of people together.

Big weddings can be a great celebration...but you have to have fun with it...I don't like it too stuffy and formal. My best friend had a fairly large wedding...and at the reception, not a soul was dancing! So I started hollering, "Who wants to dance with me?", and I found/forced some volunteers. :wink: Pretty soon, more people were dancing, it was just this big, awesome party. So fun.

So...I wouldn't mind a big, "traditional" wedding...as long as I can have some fun with it.

I used to sing in a wedding band in the mid 80s (stop laughing)

all I can say is.... thank God for people like you at weddings Bonochick

(Yes.... The Wedding Singer DID hit a little too close to home with me)

I was scared of having a traditional wedding because Im not always your most traditional person :wink:
And I wanted something really small and low key but that didnt exactly happen :|
But I did get ones stuffed into my wedding dress during the reception for dancing, and I got to wear my converse all stars so everything turned out fine :wink:
I do hate sitting forever at catholic weddings through a whole mass :yawn:

I don't mind weddings for the reason mentioned about how it is a rare time for your families and friends to be together all at once, I mean, other than your funeral, it doesn't happen.

But I don't like going to wedding and having work to do like being an usher,making speeches or stuff like that. My cousin was married recently and her fiancee whom I had only met twice before wanted me to stand for him in the wedding. I couldn't go so I dodged that bullet.

I agree u2bonogirl, Catholic weddings are very ceremonial, I have only been to one and was in awe of the pagentry and responses the people in the church had to make to the priest. I nearly jumped when the people started talking back to the priest. I don't know what it was about but the priest would say something and everyone would say something back.

GibsonGirl said:

:applaud:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the FUNNIEST thing EVER!!!

If I ever get married, I'll probably do something weird, like hire a U2 tribute band, and dress the family pets up in little suits. On second thought, maybe God wouldn't approve of that...or the bride:wink:

Whatever form it takes, I think it's cool to be spontaneous...too many weddings are like boring funerals.

Mr. Blu & I were married by a local Justice of the Peace at his home - due to geographical & economical issues. No matter where we had a "wedding" his entire family or mine was going to have to travel & since we were paying for it & we were broke, it had to be a verrrrrrrry small affair. :yikes:

If I had it to do all over again, I would have picked a natural area (a park, nature preserve, etc.) somewhere in the NC mountains (1/2 way between his folks in KY & my folks in NC), we'd have had a small civil ceremony with our siblings & parents & then partied with any friends who could have attended.

Point is, we spent about $100 bucks to get married - that includes the license & my dress - and we're just as married as folks who've spent $50,000 on a wedding. Hell, we've outlasted a lot of them! I just feel bad for couples who get railroaded into something they don't want because they're trying to make everyone else happy or trying to live up to some imaginary "fairytale wedding standard". :sad:

I've been in 15 weddings, played every role but bride and flowergirl. Yes I was even a bridesmaid once(but didn't wear a dress). In fact I'm in one more next weekend. I've attended, who knows how many. I've seen it all.

Some were amazing, some I would have rather been somewhere else. I think it's all about how the couple put themselves into the wedding, when their personalities shine through the ceremony and reception it's a good wedding.

My ceremony was somewhat big, but it definately had our personalities in it. We had an Irish bagpiper march down the aisle, the bridesmaids walked down to the church pianist playing October, we selected all of our own music for the reception, etc. We made it our own.

Now all that being said, I will never do a big wedding again. If I get married again, it's all about a few friends and the beach.

Have a friend whose family literally spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on the wedding. Which to me is ridiculous.

My wife organized our wedding, we kept it under $10K and had a grand time -- no muss, no fuss. We invited 120 close friends and family, kept it personal and simple (both our fathers gave speeches). I feel like the principle of a wedding is important -- vowing before family, friends, and God (if you believe in that sort of thing) to walk through life together forever. But the hoopla is a bit much.

It's a shame when people spend more time planning for the day than they do planning for the life.

For the most part weddings are all about trying to outdo and impress other people, it's insane what some people spend on them. It's not just all about some womens' fantasies either, I just read an article the other day about "groomzillas"

Too bad people don't try to outdo and impress others w/ their marriage and relationship rather than w/ one day of extravagance and what can often be a fake show that has nothing to do w/ reality

I'm really worried about how I'm ever going to afford having even a small wedding. Someone is selling a once used dress on our school forum and I honestly considered getting it now b/c I don't mind how it looks and it's less than $400 :reject:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm really worried about how I'm ever going to afford having even a small wedding. Someone is selling a once used dress on our school forum and I honestly considered getting it now b/c I don't mind how it looks and it's less than $400 :reject:

cheaper the better:up:

I got married a week and a half ago...my dress cost $37:lmao: our whole wedding cost like $500 and that was for food:drool: it was like a big BBQ/party....best time ever! We couldn't get people to leave..partied all night..what a blast!!!! It was very non traditional, we wrote the ceremony had a Justice of the Peace, got married outside:drool: it was so beautiful..and cheap:wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I don't think you should worry about that :) all that ever matters is that you know the person is right for you and that you want to make that commitment. Think of how many women had grossly expensive dresses and have nothing else to show for it now, or who just really had the dress and the show to begin with and nothing else that was real.

Everything else to do w/ weddings is just meaningless in comparison to the commitment. I'm glad I'll never have to worry about it..

Congrats dismantled and also Mr. Brau on the engagement....

All this talk about prices makes me think of the sex and the city episode where Charlotte gets married....she is at the back of the church ready to walk down the aisle and is having VERY last minute doubts (for ahem, reasons) and Carrie lies to her to make her feel better and says "She's 34, single, and was standing there in a $14,000 dress...she was getting married"

Can you even imagine that kind of money on a dress?! Yeah I'm sure it's gorgeous but....:banghead:

When my brother got married, it was a pretty small, low-key affiar, but my sister-in-law still was freaking out because when the flowers arrived they weren't exactly what she wanted and the photographer didn't do things exactly right.

If I ever get married I plan to do it in a church, but no fancy-schmancy reception. It's going to be a barbecue in the park or something like that. And I would totally consider a used wedding dress. I've seen some gorgeous ones in second-hand shops.

I personally like weddings. I had the traditional catholic wedding too. But it was so much fun, and I like to believe that the people who told me they had a great time were being truthful. What's so wrong about them? I'm catholic, I wanted to marry my husband in a church in front of my family and friends. Afterwards, we had a great reception with an awesome DJ and an open bar. Sure, some things may have been expensive, but certainly not over the top.

I agree too... bridal showers can be very boring. Mine started off traditional until we realized that there was a karaoke club downstairs. We all ended up down there and closed the place down (it was on a thursday night). I remember it (at least most of it) fondly.

My ideal wedding:

Married outside on top of a beautiful rolling hill surrounded by the fall colors in the trees. With a simple wedding dress and my sister standing as my matron of honor. After the wedding, I want an outdoor reception with BBQ. I even think having a reception in my parents backyard would be nice. :)

Now as far as the groom ... :wink:

I used to want a big church wedding in the Catholic church, but my views about the church have changed quite a bit that being married in the church would contradict my feelings about it. Regarding the reception, I want to be able to enjoy my wedding day and be able to eat my food without having be pulled in different directions to meet people that I may not know. If I do get married, there WILL have to be time for me to eat and for me to enjoy the meal otherwise there will be a massive bitch in a gown! :lol:

My cousin had a beautiful outside garden wedding on the campus of University of VA this summer. It was perfect. His reception however was pricey and was at a local vineyard.

Last edited:
I loved my wedding. I had a fairytale dress and my bridesmaids wore pink. This was at a time when people were going toward the strange colors so my pink and white colors were something different. The only thing I didnt like was my hair.

Maggie1 said:
I loved my wedding. I had a fairytale dress and my bridesmaids wore pink. This was at a time when people were going toward the strange colors so my pink and white colors were something different. The only thing I didnt like was my hair.

I hated my hair too. I had a practice one a few weeks before the wedding, and then the day of, I wasn't really paying attention and the hairstylist did a completely different style than I had anticipated. I had grown my hair out to just above my waist, it was supposed to be all curls etc... it was all pinned up! It looked ok, just not what I envisioned.

I think I'm going to do my own hair. I always laugh when I see friends and how excessive their hair is done for their wedding....it doesn't even LOOK like them! My wedding will be about me and should reflect my personality, and I've never spent more than 5 minutes messing with my hair, so as long as it looks pretty, there will be no reason to fuss.

I did my own hair. Tried having the bridesamaids do it but I got really mad because they werent listening to me :lol:
I just wanted it pulled back into my little tiara thing and they kept trying to make it look poofy.
When youve got 15 minutes to blastoff and your hair looks like an accident in an 80's hair salon your patience is TESTED :madspit:

HelloAngel said:
I hate weddings. I think big ones are a waste of money. :down:

If and when my boyfriend and I get married, we are going to the court house to seal the deal, and then will take all of our loved ones out to a great fun dinner or rent a condo with our families or something for the weekend.

I'm not one for following tradition.

That's how my wedding was. Just a short ceremony at the registry office with our immediate families followed by a meal out (and Sam and I went to the cinema to see Shrek 2 in our wedding clothes :D). Then we had a barbeque with friends and extended family the following Saturday.

Rachel Griffiths the actor said it best before her wedding: "Women over 30 should not wear matching dresses":wink:

As for Aussie hen nights, there should a male stripper (single or plural).
It's the law! :yes: :up: :lol: :happy:

I still think the prettiest wedding dress I've ever seen is Grace Kelly's.

I don't want the wedding and it ain't happening anyway, but I'd love to wear a dress like that just once.

The only wedding dress I've ever worn was my Mom's, I snuck in her hope chest and tried it on when I was about 14

Last edited:
Windmilllane said:
:wave:

I used to like weddings when I was younger, but the last few I have been to, I have come to realize that weddings are so corny. They are all the same. The dresses and suits are pretty much the same, the ceremony is the same, the reception is the same, how it flows with the eating, music, then eating, then more corny music, then stupid-ass dancing.

The chicken dance and the electric slide!

I agree! I loved them when I was younger but now I think they are stereotypical and corny. Even the old cake in the face routine that was so original at my cousin's wedding when I was a kid has become expected and cliche'.

I have also noticed from newspaper photos, at least in my area, that the grooms are getting increasingly uglier and older looking. Maybe all the young and/or hot looking guys around here refuse to have a big wedding, or even get married at all.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Who thinks weddings are corny?

RocknRollKitty said:
I have also noticed from newspaper photos, at least in my area, that the grooms are getting increasingly uglier and older looking. Maybe all the young and/or hot looking guys around here refuse to have a big wedding, or even get married at all.

We are all waiting for your picture so we can be as equally judgemental as you on YOUR looks.

I don't think I will ever get married, the idea that someone would willingly and openly want to state that he'd want to spend the rest of his life with me boggles my mind. If I ever do though, I definetly don't want to deal with the hassle of a traditional wedding....The only thing that I'd be super concerned about it getting a great photographer, no matter where the wedding is going to be.

Back
Top Bottom