Who saw "Lord of the Rings?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooman91

The Fly
I saw it on Friday night. Excellent movie, hope I can keep calm till next December.
On a strange note, LOTR was half empty, while How High was sold out long before we arrived.

Saw it, loved it, rereading it for the third time in a week or two, after I finish the Silmarillion (3rd time) and the Hobbit (roughly 5th time).

I saw it twice...liked it. The theater was packed here ...with long lines outside waiting to see it..and this place is a backwater...
Its doing quite well with the box office numbers...

dream wanderer

Originally posted by Lilly:
All of my friends went and saw it on Wed at midnight. They said it was long. That's a cue for me not to see this movie until in the privacy of my own home where I can fall asleep and rewind to where I left off.

The first time you see this movie you should DEFINITELY see it on the big screen!

And though it was long, they cut tons from the book and it felt to me like they really rushed through some scenes. I guess that just indicates that the book is REALLY long.
wink.gif

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

I saw it, it was brilliant. Didn't seem overlong to me at all.

And definately definately definately don't wait for it to come out on video, you willb e doing yoruself a great disservice.

I'm with scattero on this one. I would definitely recommend seeing it on the big screen. The landscapes, the effects.. it's just one of those movies that begs to be seen in the theater.

I honestly didn't feel like it was too long either. I guess if you're really into the books and have strong images in your mind of how certain things should be, then you're so interested in how they will be interpreted that you sort of forget about how long you've been sitting there.

[This message has been edited by travu2 (edited 12-23-2001).]

All of my friends went and saw it on Wed at midnight. They said it was long. That's a cue for me not to see this movie until in the privacy of my own home where I can fall asleep and rewind to where I left off.

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

Originally posted by Zooman91:
hope I can keep calm till next December.

i saw LOTR and it was an excellent movie and i am definitely going to see it again on xmas day!
what's going on next december? sequel?

------------------
touch me, take me to that other place, teach me, i know i'm not a hopeless case

I'd be interested in hearing from people who saw the movie, but haven't read the books. I loved the film, but I love the books too.

When it ended, there seemed to be two distinct responses in the audience. About half the place clapped, but there was also an audible "huh?" or gasp from the other half of the people. Then some kid yelled out, "Read the book, people!" It was pretty amusing. But I'm guessing that people who haven't read the books found the ending very abrupt and somewhat unsatisfying. Is that the case?

One of my housemates who has never read the books before had a slightly different reaction to the ending. She wanted more IMMEDIATELY. She said it was the most frustrating cliffhanger (in a good way) that she had ever seen. I let her know that The Two Towers actually has about twice as many great scenes to look forward to as were in Fellowship. The coming of the White Rider, THE ENTS(!) the Riders of Rohan, the Battle at Helms Deep, Shelob...

Should be exciting and only one year away.

MAP

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Page2000 (edited 12-24-2001).]

I look for Frodo and Sam's journey to be played down a bit, except for Faramir, some scenes with Gollum, and Shelob. It tends to drag on a bit, and has thrown me off several times (as in actually putting the book down for a few days). I also think that if they don't, they won't have time to bring out all the stuff that happens in the first half of the book.

I saw the movie Friday and thought it was really good. It is so action-packed that the time flies by. I thought that the movie was really moody and disturbing in strange ways that were exaggerated a little from the book, but in a cool way. For example, Bilbo's reaction in Rivendell, and Galadriel's little trip. She didn't have that enchanting, alluring quality portrayed in the book. She just seemed like a spooky freak IMO. Also, the fact that most of the scenes are set in physically dark places adds to the mood. The portrayal of the black riders was pretty much genius. They were so terrifying. I also liked the surrealness every time Frodo put on the ring. I thought that was well done.

I wish they had included Tom Bombadil and the trip through the woods (Mirkwood? I can't remember the name) with the evil trees, and maybe the barrow wights. I had looked forward to the woods.
Go see this on the big screen. If you sleep through it, you've got a medical condition or something.

Originally posted by agentorange:
I saw the movie Friday and thought it was really good. It is so action-packed that the time flies by. I thought that the movie was really moody and disturbing in strange ways that were exaggerated a little from the book, but in a cool way. For example, Bilbo's reaction in Rivendell, and Galadriel's little trip. She didn't have that enchanting, alluring quality portrayed in the book. She just seemed like a spooky freak IMO. Also, the fact that most of the scenes are set in physically dark places adds to the mood. The portrayal of the black riders was pretty much genius. They were so terrifying. I also liked the surrealness every time Frodo put on the ring. I thought that was well done.

I wish they had included Tom Bombadil and the trip through the woods (Mirkwood? I can't remember the name) with the evil trees, and maybe the barrow wights. I had looked forward to the woods.
Go see this on the big screen. If you sleep through it, you've got a medical condition or something.

Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights are actually in the forest right outside of the Shire, "The Old Forest". Mirkwood is on the other side of the Misty Mountains, on the way to the Lonely Mountain. Mirkwood is also the home of Legolas, useless piece of info for you all.

Yeah, good movie. The ending was sort of quick, but it's all part of the trilogy, so...

I'll tell you which movie was disappointing: ALI.

Here I was all set to see the life story of that fabulous, intelligent, beautiful, hard-working Mrs. Hewson, and instead I got some poetic boxer. Very disappointing, people!

A note on the ending: It's actually the beginning of the Two Towers more than the end of the Fellowship. But since Tolkien really wanted his trilogy published as one volume instead, I don't think it really matters.

Originally posted by agentorange:

I exactly agree with you, especially about Galadriel. ANd yes, the Black Riders were amazing.

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

I haven't read any of the books so it was my first trip into the mysterious universe of Tolkien - and what a trip. Great scenery and GREAT visual effects (But God, I thought that Balzog (?) was scary). Incredible. As for the ending, I don't think it seemed too abrupt - as my father said (who hasn't read the books either): "They don't need to make any more movies". Not that he didn't like the movie, but he thought that the ending was good as it was. And I agree with that! But maybe I should read the books to become hungry for more?
smile.gif
(I guess Frodo will destroy the ring sooner or later - if it should follow the rules of a proper fairytale with a happy end
smile.gif
- but maybe I'm wrong?! )

------------------
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is though everything is a miracle". - A. Einstein

happy ending?
smile.gif
Everyone who behaves in a noble manner gets a reward...though maybe not the reward he or she expected...
biggrin.gif

Now you will have to read the books..including the appendix...

dream wanderer

I haven't read LOTR, although I do own the book-set, and plan to read them. I did read The Hobbit before seeing LOTR. I have to say, that's one of the best movies I've seen in YEARS! It ended a bit more abruptly than I'd expected, but I knew it would leave me "hangin'". I agree with the U2Patriot...it did what it was intended as a movie!! ***** Five Stars!

excellent, excellent movie although I must say by the end I didnt think I could take too much more
biggrin.gif

so needless to say the ending pissed me off lol

and the dude who played Strider..Viggo Mortenson I believe...damn. I'll take him with or without hair thankyou
eek.gif

hes gorgeous!!

i havent yet read the books besides The Hobbit, but i certainly will now
now how to wait til next december
frown.gif

here you go..

viggo.aragorn2.small.jpg

he is nice without hair too but i wont post a hundred thousand pics and annoy you all
biggrin.gif

------------------
and everything you hoped would last
just always becomes the past
it hurts but...

I was gripped for the first two hours or so of the film and then it started to drag. Bit I haven't read the book so I didn't know what to expect. And what fantastic film making! The sets, effects and scenery are just out of this world. Ian Mckellan as Gandalf is great.

------------------
Rain from Heaven.

"Ain't no thang."

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
here you go..

viggo.aragorn2.small.jpg

he is nice without hair too but i wont post a hundred thousand pics and annoy you all
biggrin.gif

i will never get annoyed with his pics
biggrin.gif

Have loved the books for years, so I was extremely excited by the news of the films! I loved it! Wow! It's best to take it as a companion to the books, I think.
smile.gif

Viggo *is* amazing. And Sean, and Ian. All of the acting is, actually! Perfect casting! But I absolutely love love *love* Elijah!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
excellent, excellent movie although I must say by the end I didnt think I could take too much more
biggrin.gif

so needless to say the ending pissed me off lol

and the dude who played Strider..Viggo Mortenson I believe...damn. I'll take him with or without hair thankyou
eek.gif

hes gorgeous!!

i havent yet read the books besides The Hobbit, but i certainly will now
now how to wait til next december
frown.gif

just a little bit of information - Hobit was a book for kids, while LOTR is much more dark and moody and serious - you should read it for it's a life-lasting experience. You will always go back to that book

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Back
Top Bottom