Who is your favourite sports hero ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by brettig:
Ok here goes...

The twins are both as talented as each other, Mark is just more elegant. Steve can murder any attack when he wants to, but he changed his method to suit Test cricket...Mark just bats, no matter what sort of cricket hes playing. Perhaps it might be fair to say that Mark has half the cricketing tact of Steve, rather than twice the talent.

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 03-02-2002).]

Bravo!

Unfortunately, I don't have a VB in my hand, or I would hunker down and debate this with you. You make fair points. I just make sweeping statements.
wink.gif

P.S: Greg Norman is just as bad as M.Waugh, IMO. - No need to prove me wrong, thanks.
biggrin.gif

Let me make this one point though:
Waugh Brothers vs Chappell Brothers.
Mark is the under-achiever out of all four. He should be like Greg, statistics-wise.

No Matter.

I'm in America now, I should be debating if Jason Williams is the best player in NCAA Hoops!
wink.gif

Patrick Rafter

--Not just b/c he's, well, a god to look at
biggrin.gif
He also happens to be one of the nicest guys in the whole sport. I mean, he turns around and donates his winnings at the U.S. Open to charity. Throws a huge party for his friend. Starts his own charity (cherish the children). Is the nicest guy on the court (says "sorry mate" every time his ball is askew)...

*sigh* I'm in love.

I've always had a soft spot for Martina Hingis, for no apparent reason. But she better stop driving me to near-heart attack like she did in the Australian Open final this year (my God what a match that was though, who says that women's tennis is worthless now, Mr Rios?).

Originally posted by Saracene:
I've always had a soft spot for Martina Hingis, for no apparent reason. But she better stop driving me to near-heart attack like she did in the Australian Open final this year (my God what a match that was though, who says that women's tennis is worthless now, Mr Rios?).

Wow, I agree. I wish she'd win a major, any major. Poor girl. The French is coming up...

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
are you guys talking about Belfour? last I remembered he was Eddie the Eagle...

Oh lord.

That guy has to be the most ill-tempered goalie in history.

Apolo Anton Ohno.
biggrin.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

are you guys talking about Belfour? last I remembered he was Eddie the Eagle...

um I'm changing my favourite sports hero to Jeremy Roenick, I don't care how ugly the guy is or the fact that he has a wife and two kids, I'm marrying him
wink.gif

oh he's got such a cute personality
biggrin.gif

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

I have had many sports heroes:

Michael Schumacher
Mark Edward Waugh
Michael Jordan
Goran Ivanisevic
Kapil Dev
Sanjay Manjrekar
Greg Norman
Ronaldo

------------------
In this Ozland

Ron Hextall is simply the coolest goalie that ever lived, he's the one who made me fall in love with goalies anyway, well him and the great Pelle who died before I was even alive
frown.gif

plus Hexie's a complete opposite off the ice--just the sweetest personality
smile.gif

as for Belfour, well I still love that incident of a drunken Eddie having to be sprayed with mace by the police to get him to release his head-lock on a security guard
biggrin.gif

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
Ron Hextall is simply the coolest goalie that ever lived

He bitched and whined about being interfered with every time he gave up a goal. I was in Washington one night when he wailed a guy in the face with his stick after a whistle.

Yep, real cool...

Well, everyone knows my fav is Wayne Gretzky. He was such an artist, perhaps more so than a hockey player. Such inventiveness, such poetry. When he had a two on one (which was very often), everyone could sense the pass coming -- but it was always a little later, or in a different place, than expected -- and then there was a goal. He played the game differently. Hockey bacame more like Basketball in its refutation of chance when he was on the ice. His vision was uncanny. His dominance, well...let's just say that no one in the history of the game -- no one -- has ever had a 200 point season, except for Gretzky -- and he's had FOUR of them. He has more assists than anyone else has total points -- and he still has the most goals! (I could understand a player concentrating totally on playmaking, and therefore getting more assists than anyone else has points, but it boggles my mind to think of such a player also getting the most goals of all time.) Brett Hull once scored 85 goals in a season, but you could never expect him to have 110 assists in that same year. Likewise, Bobby Orr once had 109 assists (the old record), but you could never expect him, or anyone else, to then go out and score 85 goals, right? Well Gretzky has scored *92* goals and *120* assists in the same year! One year, Gretzky had 163 assists -- more than 2 *assists* per game, and finished the year with 215 points! Crazy. Something like the top 10 assist seasons of all time ALL belong to Gretzky. Remarkable. I could go on, but enough...

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 03-11-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom