Who is the greatest/best Canadian musician of all time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
I'm curious who people rate most highly in terms of Canadian musicians.

It could be a group, or an individual or you can make two choices one for groups one for individuals.

If you think it's relevant (I'm undecided if it is or isn't) you can also state your nationality... :shrug:

EDIT TO ADD: This person wouldn't be my top band/musician because it wouldn't be fair to the bands that I listen to way more frequently...but top Honorable Mention for me would be Oscar Petersen. He's just pure genius!

:)

Last edited:
My favorite off the top of my head is Sarah McLachlan. (My cousin's husband in Vancouver has done some sound work for her.)

I'm American-born, but half-Canadian.

Easy .... Matthew Good.

EDIT: I am American, but I have had some major make-out sessions with a few canadian girls.

Seriously question, why are Candian girls so much more prolific with the tongue?

Last edited:
RavenBlue said:
I would have to say Stan Rogers. The man was incredible. It's too bad that he passed away so young, I always wonder what other musical gems he would've created.

Wow, someone who knows Stan Rogers and who is not my father... :up:

You are right, it was a great loss when he died.

My favourite song by him would be either Northwest Passage or The Idiot

I don't think you should be ashamed to say Lightfoot. Whether they want to admit it or not, I would say a great number of cdn artists have been influenced by him :up: I would say the same of Bruce Cockburn, Tom Cochrane and, for that matter, even Brian Adams (altho I'm likely gonna get creamed for that one lol).

Where does anyone else factor bands like Blue Rodeo, 54-40 and Skinny Puppy - in their respective genres they rank highly to me...

1. Leonard Cohen (Not many people seem to agree with me, but I think his voice is absolutely sexy. I'm You Man :drool:)

2. Neil Young

Oh my god, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald! :love:

It references Wisconsin, so I have to love it.

"The legend lives on, from the Chippewa on down, from the great lake they call Gitch-a-goo-mee."

"Later that night when its lights went out of sight, came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgeraaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllld!"

Some years back I was listening to NPR back home in Wisconsin and there was a story about the anniversary of the wreck, and of course they played the song, and then there was a recording from a ceremony at whatever church it is in Michigan that holds services for those who die in the shipwrecks.

The church bell, it did indeed ring twenty-nine times for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Then I cried. :reject:

1. Neil Young (without question!!!)
2. The Tragically Hip
3. Joni Mitchell
4. The Rheostatics
5. Gordon Lightfoot
6. The Guess Who
7. Rush
8. April Wine
9. Stan Rogers
10. Leonard Cohen

No way Tragically Hip is even in my top 10 lol.

I'd rather listen to Gowan, Kim Mitchell, Corey Hart, or...shudder...David "I'm always hammered" Wilcox..

what, no Glass Tiger?

ok now Im bein silly.

:lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom