Who is the BEST "Big" band right now? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Who is the BEST "big" band right now?
U2 44 50.57%
Radiohead 11 12.64%
Pearl Jam 4 4.60%
R.E.M. 0 0%
Muse 3 3.45%
Red Hot Chili Peppers 4 4.60%
The Flaming Lips 2 2.30%
Wilco 4 4.60%
The White Stripes 0 0%
The Arcade Fire 8 9.20%
Coldplay 3 3.45%
Interpol 2 2.30%
Other (Please state your choice in thread) 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #46
The Male

Local Time: 06:40 PM
My question is...

6 votes for Arcade Fire?

Now.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
My question is...

6 votes for Arcade Fire?
I'm surprised it's not more considering the love they get in B&C...

Old 04-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

The Rolling Stones and Madonna!? They aren't current at all. People know who they are but the average music fan probably wouldn't know that they've released new material...hell most people probably think the Stones are dead. The Rolling Stones are not a "big" band and Madonna sure isn't a "big" artist. You might want to look at the music landscape again.
Well, when it comes to concerts and live music, Madonna and the Rolling Stones are two of the biggest artist around. The Stones "A Bigger Bang Tour" is the highest grossing tour of all time with $440 million dollars and they have just added 27 more shows to that tour this summer in Europe which will eventually put the tour easily above the Half a Billion mark. These artist are stadium artist, far bigger than some artist that can't even sellout a small theater are plays small alternative venues.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I had the strange urge to vote for the Lips, so I did. Even though I think U2 or Radiohead are much more deserving of that title.

The Lips have been around for a while and they're now peaking plus they put on amazing live shows, they have charismatic Coyne and have a pop sensibility to even their more serious or darker songs.

Wilco are right up there, but I think that along with the Lips, they're much more of a personal preference. I'm not sure that they have a universal feel in their music to transcend barriers such as language and be heard throughout many other countries.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #50
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Exactly right, if formulaic was :"evil" or "bad" or whatever, Wild Honey Pie and Rev 9 wouldn't have been voted off so early in Survivor: White Album.
that doesn't make a difference, those songs suck.

Experimenting and farting into a microphone and calling it genius are two very different things.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Well, when it comes to concerts and live music, Madonna and the Rolling Stones are two of the biggest artist around. The Stones "A Bigger Bang Tour" is the highest grossing tour of all time with $440 million dollars and they have just added 27 more shows to that tour this summer in Europe which will eventually put the tour easily above the Half a Billion mark. These artist are stadium artist, far bigger than some artist that can't even sellout a small theater are plays small alternative venues.
Tours are one thing but the fact that neither artist has released any albums that the average fan would know in the last 5-10 years makes it hard to say they are "big". I could be wrong but I think a lot of people who go to those shows probably don't have any of thier current work or go exclusively to hear thier past work.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:

Tours are one thing but the fact that neither artist has released any albums that the average fan would know in the last 5-10 years makes it hard to say they are "big". I could be wrong but I think a lot of people who go to those shows probably don't have any of thier current work or go exclusively to hear thier past work.
I would agree with you on The Rolling Stones, but not about Madonna. Yes, "American Life" was a total clunker and sucked!

But even all the non-gay people I know have "Confessions On A Dance Floor". That album was pretty damn huge . . . . at least here in California.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry

I would agree with you on The Rolling Stones, but not about Madonna. Yes, "American Life" was a total clunker and sucked!

But even all the non-gay people I know have "Confessions On A Dance Floor". That album was pretty damn huge . . . . at least here in California.
"American Life" only sucked because the american critics wanted it and said it sucked. It was well received in Europe and anyone who knows well her discography says that this is among her best albums.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

As soon as I read FitzChivalry's "American Life" comment, I knew I'd see you come in here for the rebuttal.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Aygo is a crazy Madonna fan!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

Gosh, I hope you mean Aygo is crazy about Madonna, not that she (I hope Aygo's a she, or else I'll feel pretty dumb here) is a crazy an.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Gosh, I hope you mean Aygo is crazy about Madonna, not that she (I hope Aygo's a she, or else I'll feel pretty dumb here) is a crazy an.
I'm not a Madonna fan, I only know her discography very well and I like somee of her albums (I opened a thread bout it recently).
I was entered into it because a girlfriend of mine liked her and I started to listen to it a lot, that's how I was introduced a bit better.

Yes, I am a male. A male liking Madonna means anything is specific (I'm just guessing what you're wondering, boys LOL...).

I am only realistic about saying that "American Life" is one of the most underrated albums ever.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Whoops! Many apologies for assuming you were a she.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aygo

"American Life" only sucked because the american critics wanted it and said it sucked. It was well received in Europe and anyone who knows well her discography says that this is among her best albums.
Maybe I'll have to give it another whirl.

Anyway, my comment wasn't to diss Madonna, but to counter Screwtape's "she hasn't released anything relevant" argument.

I'd say Madonna's still huge in output, sales and tour attraction.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:45 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:40 PM
nobody reads this

still, the biggest acts in the world right now are:

The Rolling Stones
U2
Madonna

we have yet to see about The Police Reunion Tour, the Genesis Reunion Mini-Tour, the impact that Muse's Wembley openers have, the ongoing Pink Floyd Reunion rumors

still... Roger Waters rocks...

and i think the 5th biggest musician in the world right now, is Robbie Williams

sure, not so much in the US, but go ahead and try to sell 5 (FIVE!!!) Wembley stadiums in 90 minutes.

so:

U2/Rolling Stones
Madonna
Roger Waters
Robbie Williams

then the rest...

Quote:

so...

A Bigger Bang ?
Confessions from the Dance Floor?

does ANY ring a bell?

Streets of Love?
Hung Up?

where have you been living the past 10 years?