Who is more overated??? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser

Anyway, i think Nirvana are more overrated. Took credit for a movement which the Pixies had already started. They did some good songs and they did some bad songs. I don't understand all the hype around them really.
Nirvana (and other grungers) became the mainstream alternative to other crap that was also being played on the radio at the time. Hair metal, hip hop, boy band crap, etc. It really is easy to see why they took off so quickly.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:21 AM
Pearl Jam since 1994 might not be as accessible for others, but they've done some great things if you can get into them, their songwriting has been so varied and creative over the years, they made their mark on music history with Ten and versus but their range continues to impress.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by powerhour24
Pearl Jam since 1994 might not be as accessible for others, but they've done some great things if you can get into them, their songwriting has been so varied and creative over the years, they made their mark on music history with Ten and versus but their range continues to impress.
Amen
Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

I just picked up Touring Band 2000 yesterday... , it's a very unique concert DVD experience.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #80
She's the One

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Not liking a band is not the same as saying they're overrated!
I know.

There are other bands I don't like, but none of them are considered as great as Pearl Jam is. People seem to think PJ is the greatest thing since canned peaches. I just don't get it.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Ugh, give me PJ over peaches.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #82
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Different strokes for different folks!

Pearl Jam is in my opinion one of the greatest bands ever! It's amazing how their discography defies being categorized into grunge and one album wonders.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

^^exactly, it takes some listening and effort, not just hearing the occasional song to fully appreciate them. The same way U2 comes off as the same and aggravatingly over-rated to people who don't know the depth of their catalog.

I will admit that when I came here I never expected so many U2 fans to love PJ as much as me, they're my two favorite and it seems the same goes for more than a few others in these parts. The R.E.M. and Radiohead obsessions make a little bit more sense.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:25 PM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier

I came here with U2, REM, Pink Floyd, Beatles obsessions. You folks of B&C helped add the Pearl Jam, Radiohead and Tori Amos obsessions, bands and artists I was only somewhat familiar with up to that point!
Old 04-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Quote:
Exactly! How can anybody call Pearl Jam, of all bands, overrated??! They have been totally under the radar until the self titled one was released. It would be like calling Muse overrated.
Um, Muse could easily be considered overrated.

Just because a band is "under the radar", or not as big as U2, Nirvana, Oasis and Pearl Jam, doesn't mean they cannot be considered overrated.

Even bands with a cult following can be "overrated."
Old 04-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

Well... any band such as Muse that I never ever hear on the radio, I find it hard calling them overrated.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #87
Acrobat

I think Nirvana is the most overrated band of these two. They got some good songs but I can't listen to too much Nirvana because then I would get..depressed.
It's true that someone before said that they probably wouldn't still be so popular if he still was alive.
But I still think Oasis also is kinda overrated. I don't like Liam. Noel is okey. And 'What's the story..' is a great album.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Well... any band such as Muse that I never ever hear on the radio, I find it hard calling them overrated.
Muse is highly overated too...
Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:21 AM
I like Muse, a lot!... but they're overrated too, the last album wasn't that great and all the hype gives me a clue of how people is lost when is about "risky" music
Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:21 AM
if anyone's ever read Bill Simmons' Sports Guy column on ESPN.com, he gave a nice synopsis on Nirvana's rise to fame after Cobain died. the following was a response to a column where he said that Cobain's suicide was "the best marketing move he ever made" and mentioned how other altrock bands were held higher at the time...

Q: Did you seriously just come out and publicly state that Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins really could hold a candle to Nirvana? I know this is supposed to be about sports, but c'mon. You're way outta line. An "In Utero" follow-up wouldn't have been better than the 40-watt snooze powerhouse "No Code"? Or that "Infinite Sadness" crap? I haven't even finished the column yet, but I'm moved to respond. You're talking like Nirvana was J.R. Rider, when they were quite clearly Lenny Bias. (Maybe Biggie was Lenny Bias and Nirvana was Reggie Lewis. MAYBE.) Who would Pearl Jam be if we made the comparison now? Christian Laettner probably. And Smashing Pumpkins? Shawn Kemp.
– Evan Brown, Northampton, Mass.

SG: Hey, I'm with you on Nirvana. Not only were they the defining band of that decade, their ceiling was higher than anyone else's ceiling at the time. But that doesn't change the fact that Cobain's death was the best possible thing that could have happened to them. Looking back, Nirvana was a little like Lorne Michaels, who always gets credited for making sketch comedy popular on television. As John Landis pointed out in the recent SNL book, there were sketch comedy troupes flourishing all over the country at the time. Michaels was smart enough to realize that this format could translate to TV, and he was the first one to pull it off ... but it would have happened at some point. Yes, he deserves some credit; just not all of it.

Nirvana
Give Cobain credit for his genius -- just not too much credit.

Same goes for Nirvana and alternative rock. Too many people mistakenly credit Nirvana with launching the grunge genre in 1991, when the reality was that dozens of grunge/alternative bands were thriving in Seattle and Los Angeles at the time they broke through, stemming back to Jane's Addiction's success in the late '80s. For instance, Pearl Jam released "Ten" (their first album) on Aug. 27, 1991, four weeks before "Nevermind" (Nirvana's breakout album), and yet most people mistakenly believe that Pearl Jam piggybacked Nirvana's sound and rode their coattails.

College radio stations started playing Nirvana's album right away because they had credibility from their first two albums, but Pearl Jam's album took nearly six months to gain any momentum. When it finally did, "Ten" was just as big as "Nevermind," with the big difference being that "Ten" was rollicking and enjoyable, whereas "Nevermind" felt like a grander achievement, like something had happened. Nirvana was like John McEnroe; Pearl Jam was Jimmy Connors. That's the best way I can describe it. Connors was great, but he was no McEnroe.

(As for the Pumpkins, they released "Siamese Dream" in July of 1993, one of the best albums of that entire decade and something that still holds up 12 years later. Just a kick-butt album. Their big mistake happened two years later, when they released "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" as a two-disc album when it had maybe nine good songs on it; if that had been 12 songs and one disc, everyone would have loved it. Whatever. I've written this before, but the best career move Billy Corgan ever could have made was blowing his brains out like Cobain did. Instead, he became a raving self-parody and it affected the way people remembered his music. I still remember seeing the "1979" video and thinking, "Uh-oh, we're in trouble ... ")

Anyway, Pearl Jam released "Vs." (their second album) in October, 1993, one month before Nirvana released "In Utero" ... and absolutely crushed Nirvana with it. Look, I was there. People were disappointed in "In Utero" at the time; everyone loved "Vs.," which sold more records, received superior reviews and had twice as many good songs. By any criteria you can come up with, Pearl Jam was the biggest rock band in the world in 1993 and 1994. Meanwhile, Nirvana was teetering along because Cobain was slowly going crazy – because of his destructive relationship with Courtney Love, his drug problem, his death wish, his aversion to fame – capped off by the mediocre "MTV Unplugged" album in December of '94, which actually made me sad when I watched it for the first time. It was like the end of an era.

The bottom line was that Cobain was slipping as a musician because of his personal problems; his songs were getting weirder and weirder; and if he had somehow managed to stay alive, he probably would have spent the next few years floating in and out of rehab centers and insane asylums. Since we don't know what would have happened next, we assume the best for him. Same goes for Lenny Bias – what if he had a drug problem but didn't die? What if he ended up like William Bedford or Chris Washburn, or even had one of those Bernard King-type careers and had to get traded a few times before he found himself? We don't know how it would have played out, so we assume he would have been fantastic. By dropping dead, he became immortal. Same with Cobain. Now Nirvana gets credited with launching an entire era of music that was already in place when they broke through. How does that make sense?

and for the U2 fans, he had another good column entitled "Who is the U2 of sports?"

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/050303