Who Has To Work Retail On The Busiest Shopping Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
poor bc. :hug:

i don't work retail but i know there will be a million freeloaders in the library checking out our videos and dvds for the weekend. :mad:

That sucks major ass, unless you are on commisson of course, ive had to do it in the past, the malls holiday hours are ridiculous.

good luck bc....

Oh...I also can't forget to mention that we have to wear dorky Christmas hats all day. :|

:hug: you have my sympanthies, BC

Last christmas I worked at a pub - I had to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve AND New Years Day (as well as all the days in between). I spent the whole crimbo season just watching everyone else have fun :down: :|

'Twas not good.

I don't, but my mom does. She's been in this line of work for a few years now, and some of the horror stories she tells about customers are just amazing. It baffles me how stupid and rude some people can be-one person actually threw a roll of tape at her once after some incident. So mature :rolleyes:. And I always find it amusing when she tells stories about how some customer will yell at her when she explains the rules about getting certain merchandise or whatever. They fail to realize that she just works there, she didn't make the rules. Heck, she thinks some of the rules are rather dumb herself. But she has to follow them.

Yeah. She wasn't looking forward to today at all. I just hope that people won't give her grief today. Same thing for the rest of you who are working in department stores. :hug:.

Angela

Last edited:
I have to work retail today :mad: :sad: 6pm til midnight :scream: I work at Joanne's Fabrics and Crafts. It's going to suck so bad.

Last year i worked at JC Penney on the same day

Moonlit_Angel said:
I don't, but my mom does. She's been in this line of work for a few years now, and some of the horror stories she tells about customers are just amazing. It baffles me how stupid and rude some people can be-one person actually threw a roll of tape at her once after some incident. So mature :rolleyes:. And I always find it amusing when she tells stories about how some customer will yell at her when she explains the rules about getting certain merchandise or whatever. They fail to realize that she just works there, she didn't make the rules. Heck, she thinks some of the rules are rather dumb herself. But she has to follow them.

Yeah. She wasn't looking forward to today at all. I just hope that people won't give her grief today. Same thing for the rest of you who are working in department stores. :hug:.

Angela
:laugh: I love fellow retailers' war stories. I had a sweater thrown at me one time (not during Holiday, believe it or not)...now it's one of the funniest stories I tell. If you come to my store and you're yelling at me and I'm turning red and I have my hands in my pockets or I'm holding onto the counter for dear life, I'm NOT scared. I'm either about to laugh in your face for your pettiness or suppressing the Irish temper.

I had to work today, at my little GapKids/babyGap store, and it really wasn't that bad. I think it was the foggy weather, and I don't work in a mall. And it's been SO slow for SO long it was fun to have all those people to help and lots of new people on to teach things. We were also having a really fun contest so the friendly competition was great. I'm gonna call the store a little after closing to see how things went.

Schmeg said:

:laugh: I love fellow retailers' war stories. I had a sweater thrown at me one time (not during Holiday, believe it or not)...now it's one of the funniest stories I tell. If you come to my store and you're yelling at me and I'm turning red and I have my hands in my pockets or I'm holding onto the counter for dear life, I'm NOT scared. I'm either about to laugh in your face for your pettiness or suppressing the Irish temper.

:ohmy:

My favorites are the guy that was yelling at a rep who couldnt find an obscure phone number for him fast enough and asked for a supervisor...then proceded to yell at the top of his lungs calling us idiots and I lost it yelling SIR! SIR! loud enough that my manager came out of her office to take over the call. It ended up the guy was writing an article about customer service for a paper in UT. The other one was the guy that yelled the spelling of his name at the top of his lungs and then when he called back told me to be a woman and admit I was wrong. :mad: He has been banned from shopping with us. :D

Wait aren't you also the downfall of capitalism or the reason why the economy's bad? I keep forgetting which...but I LOVE that one!!

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I wore a black velvet top and black pants with some nice jewelry...and a Santa Claus hat...but I got compliments all day on how cute I looked. :)

I had sparkly green socks too. Woohay! :D

The busiest shopping day of the year is NOT today! I always thought so, too...but it's actually the Saturday before Christmas....

^That's because the last Saturday people shop in sheer desperation...I know for a fact they'll buy just about ANYTHING at that point just to put something in a box. :laugh: And at the rate I'm going this year, I will be one of those people!

Glad to see everyone's Black Friday went pretty well so far!

LOL, Kariann!

Schmeg said:

Heh, I'd probably do the same thing (you had a sweater thrown at you, eh?).

It's just so funny-my mom's telling me about people who will get something and they'll charge it and stuff...and they don't realize that by the time it comes to pay the credit card bills and stuff, they're going to be paying not the cheaper price of the item, but the original price anyway-perhaps even more than that.

And then, of course, you know, the Christmas stuff has been out for a couple of months now in a lot of stores, but a lot of people will just start shopping between now and Christmas, and they'll get all upset with the employees when the employees tell them that a particular item is out.

Well, ya know, if you'd come in, like, right when the stuff was starting to be put out on the shelves in October...

Originally posted by Schmeg
I had to work today, at my little GapKids/babyGap store, and it really wasn't that bad. I think it was the foggy weather, and I don't work in a mall. And it's been SO slow for SO long it was fun to have all those people to help and lots of new people on to teach things. We were also having a really fun contest so the friendly competition was great. I'm gonna call the store a little after closing to see how things went.

That's good to hear that things went well for all of you. My mom said it wasn't too bad for her today, either. :).

Angela

I'm soooo glad I don't work retail right now. This whole day-after-Thanksgiving thing has just gone to the ridiculous.

Maybe more people are taking celebrating "Buy Nothing Day" as it has been dubbed? :hmm:

My boss is so cool--my school cancelled classes Wednesday-Friday, but insisted the campus be open anyway, because they are morons. She closed our office and let us stay home on Friday. :D Thanksgiving break is crunch time for papers, you'd think the campus would understand that...only the school weirdos show up on holidays anyway!

My day wasn't that bad, there weren't THAT many customers when i got there at 6 and my department was well staffed. They said that the lines were insane earlier in the day though. My mom works at a different Joanne's and the line to have your fabric cut was 2 hours long and some little old lady passed out from standing in line for so long and the paramedics had to come :ohmy:. I should have fun with my mid-day shift tomorrow :slant:

I have to work. It'll probably be busy all day, but we were expecting it to be crazy yesterday, and it actually was pretty slow for most of the day.

I just pray that they haven't switched the music over to the christmas mix yet. :yuck:

Diemen said:

I just pray that they haven't switched the music over to the christmas mix yet. :yuck:

We have a mix now...it alternates between one of our regular songs and a Christmas song.

U2's version of "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)" is in the mix though!!!! :applaud: When it came on, there were tons of customers in the store, so I restrained myself. I told my co-workers that if it comes on and the store is fairly empty, they should get ready for a little performance of mine. :D

My boss told me I did a fabulous job this weekend. :heart:

ILuvLarryMullen, wow, that's scary about that old lady. So she's going to be okay, then, I take it?

Geez...on CNN this afternoon, they had a story about the holiday rush, and it showed some "adults" pushing at each other while waiting in line at stores.

I always hate seeing those people who push and shove others out of the way and snatch merchandise right out of someone's hands and gloat about getting something to those who didn't get it. :rolleyes:. It's like, okay, how old are you people again? Grow up.

And we wonder why some kids don't have manners-look at their sorry excuses for parents.

Bonochick said:
We have a mix now...it alternates between one of our regular songs and a Christmas song.

U2's version of "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)" is in the mix though!!!! :applaud: When it came on, there were tons of customers in the store, so I restrained myself. I told my co-workers that if it comes on and the store is fairly empty, they should get ready for a little performance of mine. :D

LOL, cool to hear that you'll get to hear U2 while working. That ought to make your work day a little easier to handle. :).

Originally posted by Bonochick
My boss told me I did a fabulous job this weekend. :heart:

Aw, that's fantastic. :hug:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom