Who has seen Peter Greenaway's 'The Pillow Book', and what did you think of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
Personally I thought it was amazing as a film experience. Which is interesting because the characters in the film are admittedly two-dimensional, and deeply unsympathetic.

And yet despite these faults (if they are faults) I still find the film tremendously moving.

Side note: the soundtrack makes good use of the intro from Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car (fanfare from 'Lenin's favourite songs', or whatever it is).

It was quite unusual. I saw the film during my Friday morning film class, and I think the early hour hurt the experience since I was half asleep.

Attention ladies: if you like Ewan McGregor, there's plenty of full frontal nudity in this film.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by PopFly:
Attention ladies: if you like Ewan McGregor, there's plenty of full frontal nudity in this film.

Now this part I do remember
tongue.gif

I saw the movie and remember liking it, but it was quite a while ago... I will have to watch it again to refresh my fading memory.

It was the inclusion of 'Daddy's Gonna Pay...' that woke me up, actually. I was like "Huh? U2? What?"

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by PopFly:
It was the inclusion of 'Daddy's Gonna Pay...' that woke me up, actually. I was like "Huh? U2? What?"

Yes, and three times in one film, to boot. Like me, the director probably couldn't get enough of it.

it was a little odd for my tastes, but I was watching it for the wrong reasons. i was trying to figure out what the deal WAS with ewan mcgregor. was he smart? an actor with INTENT? or just an actor?

so i think i was a little bit...confused...and saddened by the whole film.

i saw it a couple of years ago, and all i remember feeling is "SAD" and probably crying at some part.

didn't she drink some ink to die?

and didn't someone's skin become a book?

Originally posted by stefananny:
I own this movie. I got it for Ewan (muahaha!) but aside from that I did enjoy the film. Very artsy.
smile.gif

ARTSY! Yes! That's the word I was looking for.

Ewan McGregor's character (a dyslexic translator or something) killed himself by overdosing on pills or something. For reasons which still escape me. His lover, if love even exists for these people, had the evil publisher executed for exhuming the body of Jerome (McGregor) and using the skin for a book. I believe...

The ending is quite emotional though. That last line - 'writing of love, and finding it...'

I really liked the Pillow Book. It's absolutely stunning visually. Greenaway really pushes the medium of film and produces incredibly amazing images.

The story was definitely unlike any I've ever seen before. I absolutely did not expect Jerome's death and the turning of his skin into a book. Yikes. The male nudity is also something that I think a lot of viewers have to get past. I'll admit, there was a couple of times I felt like my mom was going to walk in and I'd have to guiltily turn off the TV, even though I don't live with her anymore.

The other Greenaway film I've seen is Prospero's Books which is also stunning visually. Kind of like Illuminated manuscripts and paintings brought to life and put of film. I highly recommend it.

Originally posted by lylas:
I really liked the Pillow Book. It's absolutely stunning visually. Greenaway really pushes the medium of film and produces incredibly amazing images.

The story was definitely unlike any I've ever seen before. I absolutely did not expect Jerome's death and the turning of his skin into a book. Yikes. The male nudity is also something that I think a lot of viewers have to get past. I'll admit, there was a couple of times I felt like my mom was going to walk in and I'd have to guiltily turn off the TV, even though I don't live with her anymore.

The other Greenaway film I've seen is Prospero's Books which is also stunning visually. Kind of like Illuminated manuscripts and paintings brought to life and put of film. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, his visual style is mindblowing really. And the use of music. I'll have to watch this one a lot of times before I really 'get' it, but I think it's worth getting.

i can't believe i didn't see this thread. I absolutely LOVED the Pillow Book, it is now one of my "top 10 must see" movies. Was blown away by the cinematography and visuals, and was absolutely kicking myself for not seeing it "on the big screen" (rented it and was disappointed because of my small TV screen, blargh). Very emotional film...

Oh yeah, and as a bonus: if you like Ewan, you'll get to see (not so!) 'little Ewan' as well. I think this made about the 4th or 5th nekkid Ewan pic I'd seen, heh.
smile.gif

disco

*sigh* This movie depressed me so much I couldn't finish watching it.
frown.gif
But it looked like art. lol. I guess I just wasn't mentally or emotionally up for it when I saw it.

-sula

Back
Top Bottom