Who has contributed the most to music ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaz02

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Was having a shower today and i thought which artist made modern day music possible, of course there was so many inspirational artists but who has moulded music the most ?

Bob Dylan : the 1st sing songer writer ? people were writing songs in admiration of this man years before he was born and even to this day people write music inspired by this man.

Elvis : 1st rock star ?, this man single handed created the whole rock star persona with his leathers and guitars.

ABBA : i believe they created the whole pop music scene , they were a boy girl band but with a edge , they also made cheesy dance music mainstream and even to this day artists from all genre's are inspired by them.

Led zeppelin: Some say these were the 1st hard rock band and sent the trend for the nezt 20 years with hard driven drums , bass and guitar with soaring vocals.

The beatles : led zeppelin may have created the 1st hard rock band but these made pop/rock and have inspired almost every band from their on , not a fan personally but the chemistry between paul and lennon became the envy fo the music world and still is.

---------------

feel free to discuss and add your own to the list , im all out.

Last edited:
If i had to take one off your list... Elvis

Some others for you to dwell upon:

Cliff Richard and the Shadows - The start of the Four piece???!!

Frank Sinatra

Aretha Franklin - Black Music ... .extreme stereo fields

Queen - The Live 'Show'

MJ - took music to a whole new entertainment level

Miricale_Drug said:
Cliff Richard and the Shadows - The start of the Four piece???!!

I'm glad someone mentioned them. The Shadows seem to be often overlooked, but they were pretty damn important and Hank Marvin did some really innovative stuff on the guitar. According to Wikipedia:

The Shadows inspired guitarists like Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Brian May, George Harrison, Mark Knopfler, Neil Young and Pete Townshend and are therefore considered to be Britain's most influential band before the era of The Beatles.

Zoomerang96 said:

and don't forget 7urassic park.

Heyooooooooooo!!!!11!!

Classical composers (yes, I realize this is insanely vague). Seriously, most all modern music still is based off of the same general structure originated by these composers.

JIMMY HENDRIX!! for rocknroll !!!!!!

led zeppelin!! for hard rock and the start of metal!!

the beatles, for soft rock!!

michael jackson for pop dance and soul!! and everything else!!

Strictly popular music of the last 50 or so years?

Elvis - the first rock star, the first real frontman. Every singer in a band owes a lot to him.
Beatles - made famous the songwriting concept of music, as well as the classic 4 man line-up of a rock band. Basically invented stadium playing with their Shea stadium show, did experimenting...
Beach Boys - beautiful harmony singing, Brian Wilson is the most underrated genius of pop music.
Bob Dylan - for lyric writing.
Rolling Stones - if Fab Four were the first "pop" band, this is the first rock band.

Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath/Sex Pistols: started hard rock and metal and punk.
Michael Jackson/Madonna: basically started off pop music as it is today.
Muddy Waters (or whoever was the first famous blues player)
First hip hop crew that made it big (NWA? Public Enemy?)

I don't know who has contributed the most to popular music as a whole. Different bands and artists have set examples for certain aspects of music, and I agree with most of the suggestions in this thread.

I think Pink Floyd were fairly instrumental for the whole idea of elaborate live shows with their tour for The Wall in 1980/1981. The NY Times called it "the touchstone against which all future rock spectacles must be measured." You got everything with that show. A giant 10.5 metre high wall being built across the stage throughout the course of the concert, amazing lighting, massive inflatable characters, a complex video projection synched in time with the music, pyrotechnics, etc.

Last edited:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Chuck Berry. The guy was writing, guitar playing, and singing his material. For Rock and Roll he may be the single most influential figure. Without him you don't have the Stones, Beatles, or Dylan.

forgot to mention beastie boys , just because they are white i dont think they get the credit they deserve in the industry :reject:

I think a few names are missing here, like Prince (pop+rock+funk+soul) and his irreverence and presence, Madonna (no words nedded for this case), David Bowie (idem), and many others...

vaz02 said:
forgot to mention beastie boys , just because they are white i dont think they get the credit they deserve in the industry :reject:
:up:

They definitely contributed to bringing rap music into the mainstream alongside artists like LL Cool J and Public Enemy.

Though their present musical output is different from the rap/rock type stuff they were doing back in the mid to late 80's.

U2 are my favourite band but i think the Beatles are the greatest band ever. It's amazing how they went through so many style changes of songs in such a short period of time. Perfect pop (most of their early work), Rock (Revolution, Helter Skelter), Psychadelic (Tomorrow Never Knows, Lucy in the sky with diamonds), Ballads (Let It Be, In My Life), Progressive (A day in the life), RnB (Got to get you into my life), Avantgarde (Revolution Number 9), Anthems (Hey Jude, All You Need Is Love), the list just goes on...

They hardly made a bad song and their influence is unparralelled imo.

The Beatles :bow: :bow: :bow:

Back
Top Bottom