Who else grew up on musicals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy

ONE<br>love, blood, life
Lookin' for the face I had before the world was ma
So I was discussing this with some friends the other day...

I was telling them how much musicals have influenced my life. I grew up with them. I continually quote from them and sing the songs... my life would be a musical if I could have it my way :sexywink:

Anyway, they all never had that "musical" education in their youth. :(

So I was wondering how many other people grew up like me? How many gathered nightly around the television with the entire family, everyone curled up in their blankets, to watch these wonderful slices of pure magic? :D

My family's favorites were:

West Side Story
The Music Man
The Pirates of Penzance
Oklahoma
Guys and Dolls
Damn Yankees
Fiddler on the Roof
My Fair Lady
Bye Bye Birdie
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Camelot
Kiss Me Kate
Godspell
Jesus Christ Superstar
The Sound of Music

And now that I'm older I especially like Hair and the Rocky Horror Picture Show

So who else is in? :D

Annie
The Sound of Music
The Wizard of Oz
Singin' in the Rain
Grease

WHen I was older:
Miss Siagon
Les Miserables
Evita
Godspell
Jesus Christ SUperstar
Rent
Chicago
Cabaret

Yay martha. I love My Fair Lady.
Mary Pooppins, The Sound Of Music, West Side Story, Les Miserables, The Glass Slipper, American In Paris, The Shrew (richard burton/liz taylor)

Is Kiss Me Kate the Moonlighting version of Taming Of The Shrew?

Now that I watch Flower Drum Song, Breakfast At Tiffany's or The World of Suzi Wong, I am a little disturbed at the portrayal of Chinese people.

foray

You know I did. :D

My faves:

West Side Story
Les Miserables
Phantom of the Opera
Rent
Annie
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Grease
Jesus Christ Superstar
Hair
And I've also been known to enjoy doing the time warp from time to time. ;)

I remember one time my family sat down to watch tv and West Side Story had JUST started, so we unexpectedly got to watch the whole thing. At the end, I look around and EVERYONE was just WEEPING, especially my dad. It was such a sweet moment. :sad: :heart:

:heart: musicals :heart:

I was definitely raised on musicals! My older sister was never into rock music at all, but she loved show music. We shared a bedroom and she constantly had the music from West Side Story, South Pacific, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof playing on her record player. I think I knew all the lyrics to every single song by the time I was six.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

I remember one time my family sat down to watch tv and West Side Story had JUST started, so we unexpectedly got to watch the whole thing. At the end, I look around and EVERYONE was just WEEPING, especially my dad. It was such a sweet moment. :sad: :heart:

:heart: musicals :heart:

awwwwww I KNOW! I :heart: musicals!

but I feel like I'm forgetting some that we watched.. grr... that's frustrating...

anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I was getting upset with the people around me when they couldn't quote the next line of the song I was singing ;)

MARY POPPINS!!! How could I forget Mary Poppins!?? That, along with Annie, was my "sick day" movie. Whenever I stayed home sick from school, I'd watch those two. I think I could probably recite them from memory. lol.

hey, I totally "grew up with" musicals! Here is my list:

Oklahoma!
Hello Dolly (played violin in the pit for HS production)
Music Man (same)
Pippin (played violin in HS production and partied with Drama students, lol)

Joseph and His Technicolor Dreamcoat (sang half of it at a BBYO district convention called "Machon" in Irvine, CA)

Other likes: South Pacific, Annie, West Side Story

(there are tons that are worth a mention, can't quite think of them right now...:)) oh, how about Million Dollar Hotel? Does that qualify as a "musical?" or Grease, Saturday Night Fever (an oldie but goodie from the late 70's, seen on big screen...:) or Fast Times at Ridgemont High...hmm, maybe these are far from an actual "musical" as modern (nineteenth century) plays:wink:

The Wiz --used in game of "hide-and-go-seek" with Adam Duritz (Counting Crows singer) and friends at family dinner

(edited: wrong smiley)

Last edited:
Probably my earliest childhood memory of TV was watching Musicals, I used to love the classics

Wizard of OZ. (It was on every christmas without fail)
West side story
Calamity Jane
Fiddler on the roof
Sound of Music

Many a day I would walk around humming soungs from musicals that I couldnt get out my head, Songs like "Wandering Star" from paint your wagon or that song from Tomb Thumb I cant remember the title of it but it goes.

Du bi Du bi Du, Du Du bi Du bi, Du bi Du Bi Du

You know then one, It gets stuck in your brain for weeks on end :)

I think my fav musical is Oliver, I was brought up in childrens homes so I could sort of relate to the characters. It had some great tunes and an excellent story..

I remeber queing for hours to see Grease and then queing again

They dont seem to make these feel good films anymore.. Or not as good anyway..

you know I did...
but I just woke up and the only three I can think of ARE:
west side story
the king and I :)heart: :heart: :heart:)
My fair lady
fiddler on the roof

I HATED musicals as a kid...

and I nmean HATED them

damn, how annoying is it when they start singing for EVERYTHING

someone will go to the fridge for milk...

*start the milk song!*

I had a few select musicals that I watched all the time:

Mary Martin's Peter Pan
Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music
Wizard of Oz

And I loved all the Disney movies with songs!

My mom loved musicals so I would watch them with her and have to say that I still love them. They have a summer movie series here at one of the theatres downtown and we try to catch at least one. It's fun to be able to see them on the big screen in a fancy theatre

My Fair Lady
Sound of Music
West Side Story
An American In Paris
Funny Face
Singing in the Rain
Grease
Cabaret
Chicago

I've never been that huge a fan of musical films (apart from wizard of oz, rocky horror picture show and my fair lady) but I love the stage shows. Favourites that I've seen include the Rocky Horror Show, Les Miserables :)heart: :sad:), Phantom of the Opera, Joseph & his Technicolour Dreamcoat, the Lion King.....ooh too many to list! You can't beat going to london for the weekend to see a muscial...

a family friend who loves les miserables got a really cool 50th birthday present recently - apparantly the Palace Theatre in london, where les miserables is on, is letting members of the public go on a course where they can audition and take part in an amateur version of les mis, using the actual set and orchestra and stuff. How cool would that be?!!!

I'm going to see Rocky Horror again soon - there's a 30th Anniversary tour happening in a couple of months, and I got tickets near the front! Yay!

enough inane ramblings.......

:wave:

Last edited:
I certainly did hippy. We had Sunday afternoon movie matinees on the old b&w TV and it was such a treat when the drive-in opened and we saw some movies on a big screen and then...COLOUR TV..!WOW!
I could usually remember the whole score after one watching of those I loved...(don't get me started) but as I looked down people's lists then I could hear fragments of the orchestra's and the songs...ahhh Yul..the King and I and see Gene Kelly singin' and dancin' in the rain...oh I'm started, thanks.
Maybe here is a good place. I have a Yul Brynner biography I shall be readind asap. I scanned this pic 'cause it gave me a bit of a chuckle...it reminds me of Bono' s "bubble pants".

..prescisely...my cup of tea........

Have fun at the Rocky Horror Picture Show...it's just a jump to the left...

bubbles?:bow: :bow:

Attachments

• yuletcetc.jpg
    yuletcetc.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 25
And then a step to the riiiiiiight!

How could I forget the King and I and Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

You're right, foray, about Flower Drum Song, but I just love the music!

A hundred million miracles...
Are happening every day!

Me! I remember West Side Story, anything by Gershwin, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, and others I can't really put a name on right now.

O_O

remembered another one...

Show Boat :D

I was just talking about this subject with my mom and she goes "Yeah, not everyone was as lucky as you were to grow up with awesome parents who let you watch such valuable pieces of history!" ;)

Oh, how could I forget Fiddler on the Roof? I only saw it four times! I'm a Gershwin fanatic. Just tonight I went to the symphony and they played Rhapsody in Blue, which I love to pieces. Of course that's not from a musical but he wrote my favorite musical "Porgy and Bess". Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom