Who do you like better? Led Zeppelin v. The Who

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, I've been sucked in...

The comparison is difficult to make, seeing as the musicianship in both bands is strong. It's a shame most didn't go beyond the Page and Townshend contrast, because the percussion sections of both bands are the best of all time.

Moon vs. Bonham? I don't know, but they can both play the hell out of their respective drum kits.

Entwhistle vs. Jones? Stictly as bass players, they're both very dynamic. Although on a whole, I would say Jones' background as a session player, and his diverse catalogue of instruments, makes him the standout.

Daltry vs. Plant? Depends. At times I can find them both grating, and both brilliant.

To me, they're not even in the same media of music... so the comparison is lacking in substance. The Who have an almost ambient-pop quality, but as well have the R&B sensibility that Led Zeppelin thrives on.

Both great bands. Good thing I don't live in a Rocktatorship.

Pinball Wizard said:
Alright, I've been sucked in...

The comparison is difficult to make, seeing as the musicianship in both bands is strong. It's a shame most didn't go beyond the Page and Townshend contrast, because the percussion sections of both bands are the best of all time.

Moon vs. Bonham? I don't know, but they can both play the hell out of their respective drum kits.

they're no phil collins!

:reject:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they're no phil collins!

Yes they're more like a pseu-pseu-pseudo phil collins.

Shit.

Is there any possibility I can walk away without revealing my secret passion?

But seriously, to be fair to Phil, I think it was his co-drummer that took the air out of that reunion.

i wonder what thread i was cross thread sarcasming with :hmm:

and 2 years on, it's still the who by, well...

secretariat_finish.jpg

I'm more familiar with Led Zeppelin material and like more of their songs than The Who's! So.. Zeppelin! :rockon:

Two amazing bands.

I like Zeppelin better overall. And not for the cliche Zoso either, so bugger off.

Tell all your friends round the world,
There ain't no companion like a blue-eyed girl

Zep for me.

Both have great drummers and very talented guitarists aswel as frontman who will forever remain legends.

Wow, this question is killing me..I have seen The Who live but Led Zeppeling is..well..Led Zeppelin!

I have to go with Zeppelin but by only like a half a point...

Very, very had decision..

Now the real q is...

Jimmy or Pete?

Hmmmm... I'm gonna go with Zeppelin but I think Pete Townshend is one of the greatest song writers EVA!!

tpsglick2424 said:
Wow, this question is killing me..I have seen The Who live but Led Zeppeling is..well..Led Zeppelin!

Now the real q is...

Jimmy or Pete?

As a standalone songwriter who can play some guitar and sing a bit, Pete.

as a lead guitar player, music composer, studio production wizard, performer and general rock icon, Page.

Zeppelin. The Who are great, but there's nothing like Jimmy Page riffs mixed with hobbits and whatnot. :drool:

Last edited:
Led Zeppelin are Gods in their own right, but they didn't make Quadrophenia.

The Who all the way baby!

Lancemc said:
Led Zeppelin are Gods in their own right, but they didn't make Quadrophenia.

The Who all the way baby!

:eyebrow:

But Zeppelin made I, II, III, IV, Houses Of The Holy & Physical Graffiti!

Zeppelin all the way, baby! :rockon: :wink:

tpsglick2424 said:

Now the real q is...

Jimmy or Pete?

Jimmy is on a different level really.

Jimmy is like god status along with jimi.

the hobbits and whatnot are exactly the reason why i don't really like led zeppelin

:up: Kinda silly and pretentious of them.

Not that I dislike them, I have most of their material, and have gone in and out of phases of loving them over the years. But lately, they bore me.

The Who, however, I've been absolutely digging, lately. :love:

the hobbits and whatnot are exactly the reason why i don't really like led zeppelin
Unfortunately, for a lot of classic rock fans, the only album Zep came out with was IV, and the only great songs they wrote were Stairway, Rock n Roll, and Black Dog

:rolleyes:

Crap, I forgot to answer my question...

I think Jimmy is better, but Pete is up there!

Canadiens1160 said:
Unfortunately, for a lot of classic rock fans, the only album Zep came out with was IV, and the only great songs they wrote were Stairway, Rock n Roll, and Black Dog

:rolleyes:

wasnt like all their songs from the Yardbirds sessions ?

I had a big led zeppelin period, which didn't happen with the who. But I did just see "The Who" in concert, which was great. Pete really blew me away. :wink:

vaz02 said:

wasnt like all their songs from the Yardbirds sessions ?
:lol:

Jimmy Page - plunderer of riffs and stealer of grooves. Yeah he was a sloppy guitar soloist, and stole a lot of shit from other people, but he cemented riffage into hard rock so I like him.

Back
Top Bottom