White Stripes slight U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riteshbhatt1

The Fly
I read this on Billboard.com & thought Jack White from The White Stripes was referring to U2, though it could be about The Rolling Stones or any other big group touring this year:

"There's nothing more plastic than a real famous band going on a million-dollar tour playing some big concrete arena and playing the same show they played the night before, and [the same show they will do] in another town the next night," he concluded. "It's not an event anymore."

Well.... I wouldn't get to bent out of shape over it. To me Jack White isn't exactly all that, you know? :shrug:

I don't see how this references U2 in any way, shape, or form. Don't get all up in arms over this.

The White Stripes are the most visceral live band I've ever seen, bar none. I've seen them about 10 times, and each time I was floored. Their energy is nuts, and their setlists - well, I saw two shows on back-to-back nights, each show was about 26 songs long, with only 6 or so songs repeated. So they've definitely got the live goods.

I don't think this was really a bash on U2, I think it was calling out of bands at the U2 / Rolling Stones level. I mean, the U2 aesthetic is about as far removed from The White Stripes aesthetic as it could be. I wouldn't get upset about it.

Meanwhile, both U2 and Rolling Stones are usually referenced as two of the best live bands of today.

BTW, what is with that Blue Orchid song? It's terrible. I like a couple of its older singles but the new song is so irritating. I'm sure critics will think its brilliant.

We need a "Stupid Comparisons Between U2 and Other Bands" forum instead of lumping all this shit here.

riteshbhatt1 said:
I read this on Billboard.com & thought Jack White from The White Stripes was referring to U2, though it could be about The Rolling Stones or any other big group touring this year:

"There's nothing more plastic than a real famous band going on a million-dollar tour playing some big concrete arena and playing the same show they played the night before, and [the same show they will do] in another town the next night," he concluded. "It's not an event anymore."

This may be an accurate description in terms of being the same songs over and over. The problem is that fans love the songs being played right now; our boys have recorded song great songs and people want to hear them again and again.
I personally would like to see U2 play other songs instead of the usual staple but the same U2 concert night after night is better than what most bands have out there. U2 is an event, no matter what they play.

blueyedpoet said:
it makes me sick to see U2 and the rolling stones grouped together

Tell me about it. I mean the Stones stopped being good around when? 1972? Give me a break.

I think he's talking more about big bands in general. The White Stripes are choosing not to do arenas and will be playing clubs, in major cities like Chicago they'll be playing several nights. I think he's just trying to prove how cool "keeping it real" is.

Whether he was bashing U2 or not the man is correct...what is there to playing the same show you played the night before...I have seen the Stripes a couple of times and it was amazing each time...

i enjoy their albums, but the white stripes were one of the worst live acts i've seen. zero energy, they were completely uninterested and seemed like they wished they were anywhere else. i'll take arena rock fossils over them any day.

bollox said:
i enjoy their albums, but the white stripes were one of the worst live acts i've seen. zero energy, they were completely uninterested and seemed like they wished they were anywhere else. i'll take arena rock fossils over them any day.

Zero energy? :huh:

They brought the fuckin house down when I saw them.

riteshbhatt1 said:
BTW, what is with that Blue Orchid song? It's terrible. I like a couple of its older singles but the new song is so irritating. I'm sure critics will think its brilliant.

You're kidding, right?

Jack White, if talking about U2, has a point. U2 should just give control of their setlists to Axver.

frozenmuze04 said:
The White Stripes are the most visceral live band I've ever seen, bar none. I've seen them about 10 times, and each time I was floored. Their energy is nuts, and their setlists - well, I saw two shows on back-to-back nights, each show was about 26 songs long, with only 6 or so songs repeated. So they've definitely got the live goods.

Thank GOD I read this! I was thinking of watching somebody else at Glastonbury while they were on!!! :huh: We'll definetely be seeing them now, cheers! :wave:

the tourist said:
Jack White, if talking about U2, has a point. U2 should just give control of their setlists to Axver.

That's just asking for trouble. We all love and appreciate Axver (well, most of us), but one also must realize that an Axver setlist would not have anything from the 1990s, which I regard as their best musical period.

Funny, The White Stripes played an arena in Glasgow not that long ago, he seems to have forgotten that.

Haven't you all heard of revisionism?

I'm really looking forward to seeing the White Stripes next time they're in town (missed last time due to unfortunate circumstances).

Back
Top Bottom