Whiskeytown to reunite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
We have mentioned this in another Ryan Adams thread, and im sure its old news to BC....:wink: , but this was on Pitchfork today......

Whiskeytown Considering Reunion Album
Pitchfork licks chops at prospect of twice the Adams-panning

Rod Waterman reports:
Ryan Adams, that rare combination of the prolific and the lazy, reportedly has plans to reunite with Caitlin Cary and the old gang to give Whiskeytown another try. Whiskeytown originally broke up three years ago, after five-plus years and three-plus albums of heartache and strife. Earlier this week both parties made a number of conciliatory (read: disingenuous) statements about the reunion, telling Rolling Stone that they "always thought that this would happen."

Cary was quoted as saying, "Ryan made a good point. 'Why wait until we're old and pathetic? We should have a reunion while we're young and vibrant.'" Or you could just do it while you're still young and pathetic! Also involved in the putative reunion will be drummer Skillet Gilmore (best alt-country name ever), who also happens to be epoused to the aforementioned Ms. Cary. Ryan told fans on his website, "I'd like very much to go and work on some music with Caitlin and Skillet. I think it's time Whiskeytown make an actual record we like." No argument here, Ryan-- it might also be time that you make a Whiskeytown album we like, too. Hey-OHHH!

Lost Highway, home to both Ryan and Whiskeytown, was distinctly less forthcoming, however, and offered us only a terse statement stating that, "Ryan is writing for his new LP," and pointedly refusing to confirm the Rolling Stone story. The "new LP" in question would be Ryan's next solo album, Love Is Hell, recorded in New Orleans. Adams himself claimed to have finished the long-awaited follow up to Demolition way back in March, a claim at which Lost Highway demurred, telling Pitchfork, "we don't have a release date or time line... on the new solo album." Seems that the label had a different understanding of the words "ready" and "finished" than Ryan! In fact, some music is circulating on file-sharing services as we speak labeled "Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell" which runs some 26 tracks in length and sounds... not entirely unlike Guided by Voices. Hmm.

The tentative tracklist for Adams' next solo album might look something like this (note the Oasis cover buried in there), but since he's not quite on the same page with Lost Highway, and we're on a different page altogether, we might be way off:

01 The Shadowlands
02 Black Clouds
03 Please Do Not Let Me Go
04 World War 24
05 Political Scientist
06 Afraid Not Scared
07 This House is not For Sale
08 Avalanche
09 I See Monsters
10 Thank You Louise
11 Anybody Wanna Take Me Home
12 Wonderwall
13 My Blue Manhattan
14 Chelsea Nights

Meanwhile, Bloodshot Records, Adams' home away from home, recently released a topper compilation to mark their 100th release. Entitled Making Singles, Drinking Doubles, the compilation brings together a whole bunch of singles and EPs that have been unavailable for quite a while, including a raft of highly unlikely collaborations and cover versions. Check it out-- these folks are covering Jimmy Cliff, P-Funk, Loretta Lynn, Poison, Freddy Fender, Madonna, XTC, and Hank Williams, to name but a few. And is that Jon Langford of The Mekons we see hiding all the way down there at the bottom of the list? We think it might be. And look how Jack White sneaks in there all discreetly to guest on the two Andre Williams tracks! This is hard on the heels of Ryan's announcement that he has indeed buried the proverbial hatchet with Mr. White, to the extent that he felt comfortable enough to proclaim that The White Stripes' Elephant "may be the best rock 'n' roll record ever made." Shut up, you fuckin' dork. Tracklist:

01 Waco Brothers, "Harder They Come"
02 Kelly Hogan, "!000,001"
03 Ryan Adams, "Goodbye Honey" (previously unreleased from the Heartbreaker sessions)
04 Andre Williams & 2 Star Tabernacle, "Lilly White Mama/Jet Black Daddy" (feat. Jack White)
05 Moonshine Willy, "Complicated Games"
06 The Meat Purveyors, "The Madonna Trilogy"
07 Neko Case and the Sadies, "Rated X"
08 Rex Hobart and the Misery Boys, "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"
09 The Sadies, "Little Sadie"
10 Moonshine Willy, "George Set Me Strait"
11 The Volebeats, "Maggot Brain, Parts 1 & 2"
12 Kelly Hogan and the Mellocremes, "Hanky Panky Woman"
13 Ryan Adams, "To Be Young" (Acoustic Version-previously unreleased)
14 Rex Hobart and the Misery Boys, "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights"
15 Kelly Hogan and John Wesley Harding, "It's Only Make Believe" (previously unreleased)
16 Andre Williams and 2 Star Tabernacle, "Ramblin Man" (feat. Jack White)
17 Moonshine Willy, "Alone"
18 Jonboy Langford, "Nashville Radio"

Elvis Presley said:
We have mentioned this in another Ryan Adams thread, and im sure its old news to BC....:wink: , but this was on Pitchfork today......

Yep...I've been hearing about it a lot. That would be really cool to see. :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom