Whip Ma Whop Ma Gate, York Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, War And Peace is one of the candidates to be the next book I read. I could have been reading it now - I was tossing between taking it or Monte Cristo with me to begin in Queensland.

Hopefully Tolstoy keeps things together. My experience with classic Russian literature thus far indicates that despite their admiration of French culture, they never quite got into the whole waffling thing that plagues Hugo.

I hate how books are expensive. I can't stand reading books in anything but hard copy, but they cost stacks and so I can't afford to buy many. So I haven't read much of any literature, sadly.

I hate how books are expensive. I can't stand reading books in anything but hard copy, but they cost stacks and so I can't afford to buy many. So I haven't read much of any literature, sadly.

This is why I bought so many books in the US - where they are much cheaper. I had to buy another suitcase to carry them all home!

Alternatively, the uni library holds shitloads.

Also, fuck you, Israel. I don't give a shit if you think you're YHWH's chosen and all that, you have no right to be slaughtering innocents.

Also, fellow Christians, what the fuck. Don't support Israel "just cause", or because of some misguided belief that they need to re-establish the Temple in Jerusalem for the Christ to return. Every person who stands up and supports Israel in this is just as guilty as the ones pressing the launch buttons on the rockets.

Ax, I don't have any reply to your last post in the Survivor thread. I actually laughed out loud at that one, good job! :up:

Interesting:

Tram catches fire in Melbourne CBD | theage.com.au

A tram driver suffered smoke inhalation and passengers fled when a W-class tram caught fire in the CBD this afternoon.

Fire crews were called to the number 30 tram on La Trobe Street about 5pm, where the front and rear axles were on fire, according to the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.

Now, I'm imagining a massive blaze from under the Tram From Hell, but the photo proves otherwise. :(

Also, fuck you, Israel. I don't give a shit if you think you're YHWH's chosen and all that, you have no right to be slaughtering innocents.

Also, fellow Christians, what the fuck. Don't support Israel "just cause", or because of some misguided belief that they need to re-establish the Temple in Jerusalem for the Christ to return. Every person who stands up and supports Israel in this is just as guilty as the ones pressing the launch buttons on the rockets.

This.

Israel's action is totally disproportionate, and the arguments I've seen about "well what IS proportionate?" are hilarious. I saw one article about how, in the past, it was considered a good thing if you were able to inflict large casualties on your enemy whilst suffering few of your own. Yes, in the past. We've moved on from such barbarism now.

Here's a proportionate response: letting it go because the land's not fucking yours. Some misguided belief in a divine right to possessing every goddamn acre in that part of the world has no basis in reality where another people have become so inextricably tied to the land that you could never effectively rule it.

And the premillennial dispensationalist knobs who wank over rebuilding the Temple are an embarrassment to religion.

Ax, I don't have any reply to your last post in the Survivor thread. I actually laughed out loud at that one, good job! :up:

Haha, awesome.

This.

Israel's action is totally disproportionate, and the arguments I've seen about "well what IS proportionate?" are hilarious. I saw one article about how, in the past, it was considered a good thing if you were able to inflict large casualties on your enemy whilst suffering few of your own. Yes, in the past. We've moved on from such barbarism now.

Here's a proportionate response: letting it go because the land's not fucking yours. Some misguided belief in a divine right to possessing every goddamn acre in that part of the world has no basis in reality where another people have become so inextricably tied to the land that you could never effectively rule it.

And the premillennial dispensationalist knobs who wank over rebuilding the Temple are an embarrassment to religion.

I agree with everything in this post.

And just by these three posts, we've completely pwnd FYM forever.

I agree with everything in this post.

And just by these three posts, we've completely pwnd FYM forever.

The Superthread renders FYM and its hysterical extremism irrelevant.

But generally any forum online that is geared towards political discussion is doomed to irrelevancy. It is only away from such forums that you can find sane, rational political discussion, as the radicalised right and left don't think to look there. There's no blinking neon sign saying "COME SPEW YOUR HATE-FILLED INVECTIVE HERE!"

Y'know what? Achtung Baby really, really needs to be remastered. I keep hearing people rave on about the drumming in Acrobat, but all I can hear is murky confusion.

The Superthread renders FYM and its hysterical extremism irrelevant.

But generally any forum online that is geared towards political discussion is doomed to irrelevancy. It is only away from such forums that you can find sane, rational political discussion, as the radicalised right and left don't think to look there. There's no blinking neon sign saying "COME SPEW YOUR HATE-FILLED INVECTIVE HERE!"

:laugh: FYM needs one of those signs asap. And all political discussion needs to be banned in EYKIW, for example, the "Bono performing at inauguration" thread.

:laugh: FYM needs one of those signs asap. And all political discussion needs to be banned in EYKIW, for example, the "Bono performing at inauguration" thread.

I've barely looked at that, but I saw some post about how it's hard to be a conservative when it comes to music. Yeah, when all you've got is Ted Nugent and Varg Vikernes, you might as well just realise the game's up - your side is lacking creative vision.

... might explain a lot, eh?

Y'know what? Achtung Baby really, really needs to be remastered. I keep hearing people rave on about the drumming in Acrobat, but all I can hear is murky confusion.

Every U2 album needs to be remastered. No exceptions.

My big problem with Achtung is that Edge's guitar in Zoo Station just disappears into murk during the vocal passages.

handfertigld7.jpg

I really do think this fake album art cover, posted by FuruftUta, is the best one yet.

I've barely looked at that, but I saw some post about how it's hard to be a conservative when it comes to music. Yeah, when all you've got is Ted Nugent and Varg Vikernes, you might as well just realise the game's up - your side is lacking creative vision.

... might explain a lot, eh?

"There's only two types of music that we listen to down here, boy, and that's Country... and Western!"

handfertigld7.jpg

I really do think this fake album art cover, posted by FuruftUta, is the best one yet.

Haha yes.

Also, if that photo proves to be the album art, then it just looks like the lazy man's rip-off of Nowhere by Ride, which is a superb cover.

Still, slays most U2 covers.

Every U2 album needs to be remastered. No exceptions.

My big problem with Achtung is that Edge's guitar in Zoo Station just disappears into murk during the vocal passages.

My big problem is that half the time I can't hear what's going on, unlike in Boy, October, War, TUF (most of the time), JT, R&H, ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

I'm all for innovation and stuff, and I love U2's 90s work, but honestly. Are there even instruments under all that distortion, people?

My big problem is that half the time I can't hear what's going on, unlike in Boy, October, War, TUF (most of the time), JT, R&H, ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

I'm all for innovation and stuff, and I love U2's 90s work, but honestly. Are there even instruments under all that distortion, people?

I can't hear much of what's going on in HTDAAB. All nuances are compressed out of the sound. Yahweh is like playing "spot the drums". And BOctoWar are easily the three best-sounding U2 releases, which seems fucking odd to me.

Oh, snap. He's probably right, too. That, or the reason is us. :hmm:

We hurt Bono's feelings.

I can't hear much of what's going on in HTDAAB. All nuances are compressed out of the sound. Yahweh is like playing "spot the drums". And BOctoWar are easily the three best-sounding U2 releases, which seems fucking odd to me.

Hmmm, actually, you may be right about Yahweh. I've never had many problems with, say, Vertigo or One Step Closer though, although if I recall correctly the drums in COBL are a bit of a stretch to hear.

We hurt Bono's feelings.

And yeah, we probably did. I still think Adam's comment about people having too much time and spending it by sitting on the internet listening to a crappy leaked song is probably the best thing out of a U2 band member's mouth in a while.

Hmmm, actually, you may be right about Yahweh. I've never had many problems with, say, Vertigo or One Step Closer though, although if I recall correctly the drums in COBL are a bit of a stretch to hear.

One Step Closer's production annoys the shit out of me, because it's mixed LOOOUUUUD like it's a RAWK song, when, you know, it's not.

And yeah, we probably did. I still think Adam's comment about people having too much time and spending it by sitting on the internet listening to a crappy leaked song is probably the best thing out of a U2 band member's mouth in a while.

:laugh: He probably spent a few hours rolling his eyes out of his head while reading WTAHNN.

I can't believe that some people have only joined in 08 and already have nearly as many posts as me. Too much time in WTAHAN breathlessly going :hyper: about a song title much?

Most of their posts are completely irrelevant though, which is the important difference.

:laugh: He probably spent a few hours rolling his eyes out of his head while reading WTAHNN.

And then posting all those U2.com videos to get a rise out of people and to see how they'd react.

HEY, that's actually a really plausible theory. And Adam Clayton being Adam Clayton, I can see him doing it, too.

Y'know what really scares me? People like dansm ee and l u and so on becoming respected, or regarded as authorities on U2's music, within EYKIW and WTAHAN. The day that happens would be a good day to leave for good.

I can't believe that some people have only joined in 08 and already have nearly as many posts as me. Too much time in WTAHAN breathlessly going :hyper: about a song title much?

Most of their posts are completely irrelevant though, which is the important difference.

"OMG guys this album's gonna be so good! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:"

And on the basis of WHAT do you say that? Good lord, people. Quality over quantity, please (I know that's hilarious coming from me).

You know, all of us should try to pile into every new WTAHAN thread as soon as it's made, make posts full of thunderous good sense, and try to kill the thread before it even begins to devolve into the currently bog-standard furious wanking over baseless :hyper:-isms.

And then posting all those U2.com videos to get a rise out of people and to see how they'd react.

HEY, that's actually a really plausible theory. And Adam Clayton being Adam Clayton, I can see him doing it, too.

... that makes far too much sense.

I'm really enjoying my alternate version of Pop, with helpful changes made by Axver.

Coolness. Still not entirely happy with mine, but I've decided instead to start from Boy and move through chronologically. I may end up with a couple of leftover songs from earlier eras that fit on, you never know. I mean, almost half of Pop dates to the Zooropa sessions anyway!

You know, all of us should try to pile into every new WTAHAN thread as soon as it's made, make posts full of thunderous good sense, and try to kill the thread before it even begins to devolve into the currently bog-standard furious wanking over baseless :hyper:-isms.

Ian, GG2, Bonnie and I already do this, but we're getting overwhelmed by the :hyper:ers. :(

Also, BVS seems to do that here and there, but I can never be sure of him/her and where he/she's leaning or thinking.

... that makes far too much sense.

WE HAVE A NEW U2 CONSPIRACY ON OUR HANDS.

ADAM CLAYTON ACTUALLY READS INTERFERENCE OMG!

I really enjoy the drumming on Please. Quite innovative, mixing the typical Larry Mullen militaryesque beat with... something else cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom