Which Sufjan Stevens album should I buy first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2dork

Rock n' Roll Doggie
...I know I'm slow on the whole "picking up on new. great things" thing. I've only just recently sort of noticed him after crawling out of the deep dark hole of university life.

So, I've heard bits and pieces of his music in different places. What's a good starter on his music? Any suggestions?

Well, Illinois was the only album they had at the shop I went to. I'm about to pop it in now.

If I fall madly in love with it, where do I go from there?

I've been enjoying the latest album, The Avalanche, quite a bit lately. It's nice soft, mellow summer chill out music

I guess go with Seven Swans or Michigan next.

The Avalanche technically isn't out yet, Enjoy Your Rabbit is not the Suf-jeezy style you're looking for (but it's still pretty good), and A Sun Came, well I'm just not crazy about that one.

inmyplace13 said:
I guess go with Seven Swans or Michigan next.

The Avalanche technically isn't out yet, Enjoy Your Rabbit is not the Suf-jeezy style you're looking for (but it's still pretty good), and A Sun Came, well I'm just not crazy about that one.

Lowell, Suf-jeezy :lol:

1 vote for Michigan: Two of my favorite Sufjan songs are on Seven Swans but I'd recommend Michigan next.

Illinois, then work your way back as each more recent effort is better than the one that preceded it. The first two albums are a bit different.........A Sun Came has a lot of filler and some weird little interludes, while Enjoy Your Rabbit is an instrumental affair. The other three are pretty close in terms of quality and songwriting.

Illinois first obviously, though it takes a long time to digest. When you do buy it, don't forget to keep listening right the way through, even if there's a temptation to hone in on the first ten tracks. 'Predatory Wasp' and 'Zombies' are great tracks, with some brilliant ideas and hooks. You won't be disappointed!

If you like Illinois then Michigan is the obvious next choice as the structure of the album is similar. Then Seven Swans after that, which is more traditional but has some great great songs on it (Sister, A Good Man Is Hard To Find, That Dress Looks Nice On You, etc)

Back
Top Bottom