Which subject should I choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what should I do?

• Modern History

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Irish Studies

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Do something random!

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
Ok. so at university in your first year you have to do 3 modules a term (6 modules a year) but with French and Spanish I am only doing 2 modules so I have to pick a third subject.

This is something I do not want to do but I don't really have a choice in the matter, I only really enjoy doing languages, I enjoy learning other things but I prefer to do that at home and learn and read about what I enjoy.

Seeing as my subjects are in Humanities I can only pick Humanities subjects and there is a really bad selection of subjects on offer.

I have narrowed down my options and ruled out other languages like German and Irish because I dont want to study another one.

I got an A in my A-level English but I dont really want to study it for another year - I just hated it (probably due to I didnt like the teachers I ever got in English)

The other subjects on offer are things like Geography, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, History of Art, Film Studies, Women's Studies....I know ppl who have done these and have read what the course entails and I have been put off from choosing any of them.

So to cut an even longer story short - I have decided to do either Irish Studies or Modern History.

Pros And Cons of each

- Irish Studies - I know a fair bit about Irish History - I am very interested in the politics of Northern Ireland and I have read a lot of books about Ireland at school and at home - we would be studying the Famine, The rise of Unionism and Netionlism from the late 18th centruy until the present and then we would study northern Ireland and parades/ murals are examined in detail. I wouldnt say im a particularly smart person and I dont know a lot about history or anything but Im confident in saying I know a lot about this as I have read lots about these things before/

- The first semester is Irish folklore and language - not great but interesting.

Cons -

I think it could involve a lot of essays - I dont like essays.

Modern History

- Pros.

You learn a lot of things about a very broad range of subjects so I imagine you dont go into THAT much detail.

-Cons.

Probably even more essays

I dont think I'd be that good at history - I havent done it in 5 years.

I know nobody can make up my mind but I would like to see what other ppl think

Thank You

:wave:

Last edited:
Im afriad I wont be able to cope with something random and fail the subject - I have to pass all the courses to get into 2nd year

:reject:

From what you've written it seems you want to do Irish History. It will be the most interesting to you and won't put too much pressure on you academically. :up:

Personally I would've gone for psychology or film studies co sthey sound the most interesting/fun/
But yeah it sounds like you're leaning towards Irish Studies... that could be fun too...so just roll with that :yes:

If I had to choose I'd go with Irish studies, just because I don't think a lot of colleges give you the chance to study that subject (at least colleges in England/Wales don't - Irish ones probably do. :wink: ) and so it's a good opportunity to learn about it.

If you already know quite a lot about the subject it would probably be helpful 'cause in your first semester at uni you're often busy getting used to the study methods used there and making friends and all that fun stuff. :) On the other hand, if your college is one of those where your first year grades don't count towards your final degree classification then it's a good opportunity to study something completely random and interesting even if you're not sure you'll be good at it.

IWasBored said:
what would be something random?

Uhm....something like "Barbarians, Romans & The Crusaders" or "Byzantium Studies"

:wave:

Barbarians, Romans and the Crusaders! I did a history survey course that went all the way from around 500BC to the present day. It was the most interesting (and challenging) course ever! :)

Back
Top Bottom