Which movie are you expecting the most... Batman or Fantastic 4 ? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Definitive Batman trade paperbacks

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

-by a guy named Frank Miller, you may have heard of him, both story and art, Batman in the future as old guy

Batman: Year One

-written by Frank Miller, art by David Mazzuchelli, origin of Batman

Batman:The Long Halloween

-writer/author Jeph Loeb, 12 issue series involving many Bat villains

Batman: Hush

-writer Jeph Loeb, artist Jim Lee, recent yearlong storyline involving whole rogues gallery

Batman: Death in the Family
-writer Jim Starlin, artist Jim Aparo, has death of Robin

Batman: The Killing Joke
-writer Alan Moore, artist Brian Bolland, features Joker at his most evil plus origin

Son of Demon, Bride of Demon, Birth of the Demon

-graphic novels with Ra's Al Ghul as bad guy

and anything written by Denny O'Neil with art by Neal Adams, great classic Batman from '70s

Most of these books are available as trade paperbacks at comic book stores or Amazon. I would recommend Year One, Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke as must reads however. They are beyond comic books.

Check out a book called the Watchmen too. In development as a film,but again, an incredible book.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
ANSWER MY QUESTIONS
I just did.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Dalton,
For a great history of Batman, I'd recommend the following graphic Novels, in chronological order.

1) Year One
2) Year Two
3) Death In The Family (the death of the second Robin)
4) A Robin Reborn (I think that's the title) - the origins of the 3rd Robin
5)Knightfall - The back-breaking of and replacement of the original Batman
6)KnightsEnd - The return of the original Batman
7)The Dark Knight Returns - Batman in the future
8)Kingdom Come - A future tale involving many heros.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:04 AM
WTF? How many robins have their been?

Trev or 80's will one of you give me a condensed timeline of the major batman moments? That would be cool.

BTW - I will pick up year one tonight.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

4 Robins to date, one in future.

Condensed Batman timeline (Spoilers ahead).

1)Joe Chill kills Bruce Wayne's parents.

2)Bruce becomes Batman.

3)Batman hunted by cops.

4)Batman befriend Gordon and some other cops.

5)Dick Grayson's parents killed in acrobat "accident", taken under Bruce's guardianship.

6)Years later, Robin leaves Batman partnership and latchges on to the Teen Titans.

7)Robin becomes Nightwing.

8)Batman gets second Robin, Jason Todd, a street urchin who was stealing things.

9)Second Robin killed by Joker.

10) Third Robin, Tim Drake introduced.

11)Super freak of a villain, Bane, releases inmates from Arkham Asylum. In "Knightfall", Batman and Robin hunt down the villians, which wears Batman down. Eventually, Bane breaks Batman's back.

12)New Batman is appointed by Bruce. He ultimately defeats Bane, but turns very brutal and kills and maims the villains; Bruce wouldn't kill.

13) After healing, Bruce takes back the "mantle of the bat" by beating the new Batman.

14)3rd Robin quits – new Robin, a girl, starts, but I think the 3rd has come back.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:04 AM
yeah, Tim Drake returned to be Robin and the girl (I can't remember her name!) became Spoiler

and Captain Boomerang (Flash villian) killed Jack Drake, Tim's father
Old 06-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #52
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The ending of Batman was great too, but I wasn't sure how they were wrapping it up...

For all that have seen it do u think that they were setting it up for a sequel, or to tie in with the 1989 Batman?

*I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I will keep my foot out of my mouth*
Old 06-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think (and hope) they were setting it up for a sequel, because Nolan and Bale said like 465456 times that this movie isn't a previous movie, it's another, very different, Batman
Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
4 Robins to date, one in future.

Condensed Batman timeline (Spoilers ahead).

1)Joe Chill kills Bruce Wayne's parents.

2)Bruce becomes Batman.

3)Batman hunted by cops.

4)Batman befriend Gordon and some other cops.

5)Dick Grayson's parents killed in acrobat "accident", taken under Bruce's guardianship.

6)Years later, Robin leaves Batman partnership and latchges on to the Teen Titans.

7)Robin becomes Nightwing.

8)Batman gets second Robin, Jason Todd, a street urchin who was stealing things.

9)Second Robin killed by Joker.

10) Third Robin, Tim Drake introduced.

11)Super freak of a villain, Bane, releases inmates from Arkham Asylum. In "Knightfall", Batman and Robin hunt down the villians, which wears Batman down. Eventually, Bane breaks Batman's back.

12)New Batman is appointed by Bruce. He ultimately defeats Bane, but turns very brutal and kills and maims the villains; Bruce wouldn't kill.

13) After healing, Bruce takes back the "mantle of the bat" by beating the new Batman.

14)3rd Robin quits – new Robin, a girl, starts, but I think the 3rd has come back.

A couple of additions to 80s excellent list

1.5) Young Bruce Wayne comforted by Dr. Leslie Tomkins who runs clinic in poor part of Gotham(Crime Alley), Bruce disappears for a few years (like the movie) but the comic books have never really delved into the exact training he received (there have been hints but no definitive story),

5.5,6.5) Robin grows up, leading to rift between Batman and himself, you know how teenagers rebel

8.5) Readers are given a phone number in part 3 of the Death in the Family storyline to give thumbs up or down to the fate of Jason Todd who was a punk,for the record I voted for death

Many Batman stories are imaginary and not part of the regular continuity in the life of Batman. There are over 50 years of stories published every month in many different comics involving Batman like Batman, Detective, Batman Family, Robin, Catwoman, Azrael, Legend of the Dark Knight, multiple mini and maxi series. The Dark Knight Returns is an imaginary future story, just as the Son of the Demon is outside the regular continuity as Talia, Ra' Al Ghul's daughter gives birth to Batman's son and leaves him at a monastery. The Killing Joke is a part of the continuity, actually it became of the defiinitive moments in the development of the Joker as a true psycho and if the rumours about the next film are correct, could become the greatest movie villain ever making Nicholson's performance look like Crusty the Clown.

The remarkable thing about comics which people forget is that the characters like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc. are not silly stories written for kids. Yes, typically in the distant past (the 50's & 60s) it was geared towards children and sometimes the writing and art has been weak.

But more often than not, these characters have a deep rich history unmatched by any other form of literature. Multiple writers and artists have been given the opportunity to provide their vision of the characters.

It would be like James Bond films being directed by Spielberg, Tarantino, Kurosawa, Woo, Ron Howard, Rodriguez, etc. The Broccoli brothers would never let this happen because they like the formula they have for Bond films and don't want to mess with it.

Comics allow their "James Bonds" to be put in the hands of different "directors" leading to unique and sometimes incredibly fresh interpretations of this modern mythology.

Comics are not just about superheros either. There are many genres which deal with war (The Nam -produced back in 90's where the characters rotated out after a year just like the war unless they were killed), the supernatural and bizarre (Vertigo line of books, various titles from other companies), social issues ( Maus- classic award winning story depicting the Holocaust portraying the Nazis as cats and Jews as mice). The development of the graphic novel has allowed comic books to be considered legtimate forms of entertainment in the eyes of many people today. Writers such as Alan Moore, Frank Miller and Neil Gaiman have become as acclaimed as many of today's contemporary writers.

I haven't collected comics since 1997 but I still pick up the odd paperback because I still love the medium. And just like the movies, a lot of stuff produced is just crap but sometimes they produce magic which transports your mind and soul to another world.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:29 AM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:04 PM
The Cavalier

I started reading the Golden Age stories first which did descend into stupidly cheesy storylines after a while but then I discovered Miller's work which is fantastic. I also love the painted comics like Arkham Asylum; very dark storylines and the art is phenomenal.

I'm going to try and watch the film tomorrow, I really like the things I'm hearing about it.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:42 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Ra's A Ghul being involved in training a young Bruce Wayne and him being Japanese

***Pseudo-spoilers***

Don't be so sure...
Old 06-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #57
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon

***Pseudo-spoilers***

Don't be so sure...
bumbumBUM
Old 06-18-2005, 06:00 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

I thought Batman was very good-the acting, the score, the cinematography, the writing. Christian Bale played it perfectly.

I really liked that it wasn't campy. Definitely the best quality of all the Batman movies.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

a question for you guys

What villains can you recognize in Arkham?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Zsaz, or however you spell it. They even say his name.