Which Led Zeppelin Record Is The Best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
What the title says, which Led Zep record is the best, out of

I
II
III
IV/ZOSO
Physical Graffiti
Houses Of The Holy
Presence
In Through The Out Door

Frankly, I think II and ZOSO are overrated. Stairway is an incredible song but ZOSO as a whole is overrated.

I think III is the best LZ record, and I think it's horribly underrated.

'Friends', 'Gallows Pole', and 'Tangerine' are some of my all-time favorite LZ songs. 'Celebration Day' and 'Since I've Been Loving You' are also great. This more acoustic Zeppelin was :drool:

Second-place for me goes to Physical Graffiti. 'Kashmier', 'The Rover', 'In The Light', 'Bron-Yr-Aur', and 'Down By The Seaside' would be worth the price alone.

LZ1 follows closely behind.

Ok, your turn.

Houses of the Holy.

It has "The Song Remains the Same," "The Rain Song," "Over the Hills and Far Away," and "No Quarter."

It also has "The Crunge" and "D'yer Mak'er," but nobody's perfect.

I'm going to have to go with Houses of the Holy. The first couple albums are great but they hadn't reached their full potential yet.

I agree that IV, like Dark Side of the Moon, is a bit overrated and not representative of the band's best work. The most popular album rarely is.

Houses has some rockers like Song Remains the Same, Dancing Days & The Ocean, some reggae stylings on D'yer Maker, and two truly beautiful masterpieces in Over the Hills and Far Away & The Rain Song. The only weak song on the album is The Crunge, but it's not enough to keep this from the top.

I'd also put Physical Graffiti up there, but with a double album you always have a little filler. Still, Kashmir, In My Time of Dying, Houses of the Holy (the song), and almost all of disc 2 make this one a contender for my favorite.

Oh yeah, namkcuR, I agree that Led Zep III is WAY underrated. Much mellower (save for Immigrant Song) than what they're known for, there's some great stuff. In addition to what you mentioned I have to say That's The Way is probably in my Top 5 Zeppelin songs.

laz

I absolutely love LZIII for it's acoustic gems like That's The Way, Tangerine and Bron-Y-Aur_Stomp. Don't like the Immigrant Song much though. Houses Of The Holy is awesome except for D'yer Maker. Only LZ song I can't stand. :yuck: I change the radio station when it's played. So...... albeit overrated, it comes down to ZOSO/IV. Every song is a classic. It's the most popular for a reason. It fuckin' kicks ass.

Physical Graffitti.

"Kashmir"
"Ten Years Gone"
"The Wanton Song"
"In The Light"
"In My Time Of Dying"
"Trampled Underfoot"

but you know what I think is criminally underrated? "Presence"......

if you like zep, you'll like this one; Bonham has never sounded better than this record.

"Achilles Last Stand"
"Nobodys Fault But mine"
"For Your Life"

:drool:

Houses of the Holy is sonic bliss.

I don't love "The Crunge," but I don't hate it either. Every other song on the album is damn-near perfect.

What? No votes for Coda?

:sexywink:

Achilles Last Stand is good enough reason for me to endorse Presence. But I'm not going to... it felt more like an EP to me, and the same goes for In Through The Out Door (Carouselambra and In The Evening are brilliant tracks nonetheless). Led Zeppelin IV is more of a greatest hits package of high powered tracks rather than a cohesive piece. III has amazing songs but the flow is inconsistent and there are a few sleepers on the album (That's The Way and Tangerine are the saving graces). Kashmir wins with quantity (Ten Years Gone and In My Time of Dying are probably my favourite Zeppelin tracks of all time), but for overall awesomeness and beautiful tunes I have to side with Houses of the Holy and Led Zeppelin II.

Bring It On Home, What Is And What Should Never Be, Thank You, Moby Dick.

:up:

Over The Hills And Far Away, The Ocean, No Quarter, The Song Remains The Same.

:up: :up:

Last edited:
cujo said:
What? No votes for Coda?

:sexywink:

Achilles Last Stand is good enough reason for me to endorse Presence. But I'm not going to... it felt more like an EP to me, and the same goes for In Through The Out Door (Carouselambra and In The Evening are brilliant tracks nonetheless). Led Zeppelin IV is more of a greatest hits package of high powered tracks rather than a cohesive piece. III has amazing songs but the flow is inconsistent and there are a few sleepers on the album (That's The Way and Tangerine are the saving graces). Kashmir wins with quantity (Ten Years Gone and In My Time of Dying are probably my favourite Zeppelin tracks of all time), but for overall awesomeness and beautiful tunes I have to side with Houses of the Holy and Led Zeppelin II.

Bring It On Home, What Is And What Should Never Be, Thank You, Moby Dick.

Over The Hills And Far Away, The Ocean, No Quarter, The Song Remains The Same.

:up: :up:

My name is u2popmofo, and I endorse this message.

What shouldn't be endorsed is my lack of sleep and the fact that I said Kashmir instead of Physical Graffiti.

Ostracized.

Whenever I happen to be watching Fast Time at Ridgemont High with non-music dork friends, I must always point out Ratt and his Led Zeppelin useage. Damone tells him that when it comes to "making out", you have to be listening to IV. But when he's taking Stacy home, Kashmir is playing. Perhaps that error is why he didn't give it up to Stacy that night (when he so obviously could have).

:wink:

IV, Houses of the Holy, Phyiscal Graffiti

(in order of release, not quality ;))

Since all the other albums have been paid homage to, I'll go with their debut release.

With very few overdubs and/or treatments done in studio, it was essentially a live album. It took less than three weeks to record. (Maybe a certain Irish band could make note of this..)

It was the first album of its kind, knocking the hippy singer-songwritter phase of the late 60's on its ass.

Songs: Dazed and Confused, Communication Breakdown, How Many More Times, Baby I'm Gonna Leave You, You Shook Me, I Can't Quit You Babe, Good Times Bad Times

If they would have added their take of "Train Kept A Rollin", it would have been amazing....

Tie for me between "I" and "Houses of Holy"

I has Dazed and Confused, my favorite Led song. Also has "Can't Quite You", which is incredible, although a cover. Also love "How Many More Times" and "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". Shit, I like the whole thing.

"House of Holy" is just perfection from start to finish.

Clark W. Griswold said:
Since all the other albums have been paid homage to, I'll go with their debut release.

With very few overdubs and/or treatments done in studio, it was essentially a live album. It took less than three weeks to record. (Maybe a certain Irish band could make note of this..)

It was the first album of its kind, knocking the hippy singer-songwritter phase of the late 60's on its ass.

Songs: Dazed and Confused, Communication Breakdown, How Many More Times, Baby I'm Gonna Leave You, You Shook Me, I Can't Quit You Babe, Good Times Bad Times

If they would have added their take of "Train Kept A Rollin", it would have been amazing....

I think you forgot 'Your Time Is Gonna Come'...

ya, forgot about IV. I think every song on the record rocks except "Evermore...", never got into that.

When the Levee Breaks :drool:

Houses of the Holy is a personal favorite of mine, but IV is probably the best. Nothing can beat Bonham's drumming on "When the Levee Breaks" :drool:

Zep IV certainly has what IMO are their most compelling songs...Battle of Evermore, Going to California and When the Levee Breaks...

But Zep III is out of this world...I can't think of a song I hum more in the shower than Tangerine...

Although not an official album, "How the West was Won" is a great live collection. Led Zep, like u2, are best when their live.

Back
Top Bottom