Which is better: Lamb Lies Down On Broadway or The Wall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
Both are double albums progressive in nature. Both tell a complex story and lead to groundbreaking tours. So which is better?

To me it is Lamb for its musical creativity and for superior lyrics on the part of Peter Gabriel. David Gilmour can’t compete with Tony Banks when it comes to creating mood and soundscapes. While both albums use instrumentals to advance the story, the ones on Lamb are far more creative than those on The Wall. Lyrically, Peter Gabriel is simply poetic. The people and locales are also more vivid on Lamb:

Rael stands astonished doubting his sight,
Struck by beauty, gripped in fright;
Three vermilion snakes of female face
The smallest motion, filled with grace.

Continually pacing,
With nonchalant embracing,
Each orifice disgracing
And one facing me moves to say "hellay".

So which do YOU think is better?

Let me put it this way: I just got The Lamb Lies Down and haven't had a chance to actually play it yet, but I already know it's better than The Wall.

I really hate The Wall. I think it's PF's worst album by a mile. It should be marketed as an insomnia cure; the only songs that do not bore me to tears are Comfortably Numb and Hey You. I find it hard to believe that it followed the brilliance of Animals and WYWH.

well , it's like to choose which child is favourite , but i'll go with lamb , cause it's still a band ( although Gabriel was almost out ) , no outsiders ,
the wall was done by Waters , Gilmour & Bob Ezrin in between , the band was done by then , the album , and the tour were terrific ( the wall live album is better then studio version )
in contrast , gabriel couldn't sing his vocals properly , cause of his masks , and before ( or maybe ) during the tour Peter told Tony Smith ( Genesis GM ) that he quit the band , feels like a divorce
and lamb is a bit more positive
However Comfortably Numb
Best song ever

or Carpet Crawlers ???

Both are great

There are probably a lot of people who haven't heard The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, so expect many to say The Wall.

I personally like The Wall a lot, but The Lamb is a musical experience that everyone should check out. The Carpet Crawlers is beautiful.

The only thing that Lamb suffers from is the production. It's difficult to hear Gabriel's vocals at times, and it makes for some frustrating listening.

I have listened to both several times, and I unequivocally prefer The Wall. The soundscapes, Gilmour's guitar, and Waters' lyrics are extremely evocative, and the despondancy and pain are quite palpable throughout. On top of that, Comfortably Numb is, in my opinion, the crowning achievement of modern music. The Wall is certainly not Floyd's best album, and it is bombastic in places, but nonetheless it is brilliant.
Lamb loses points for me because, as much as I love Peter Gabriel, the concept is a fairly egregious rip-off of The Who's Quadrophenia, which was released either a year or two before Lamb and is leagues ahead in terms of quality. For me, the more interesting question is The Wall versus Quadrophenia.

this is tough.....

but I am going to have to go with "The Wall"

Mother:drool:
Hey you:drool:
Comfortably Numb:drool:
In the flesh:drool:

Screwtape2 said:

Uhh...you're going to have to explain that one. :eyebrow:

Both are about eccentric, rebellious young men struggling to find their identity in a world that attempts to push conformity upon them at every turn. Only Quadrophenia concerns a Brighton Mod, and Lamb concerns a New York street punk. I must admit that my understanding of Lamb is superficial compared to Quadrophenia, so if anyone would like to critique this, I would be interested to hear it.

Axver said:
Let me put it this way: I just got The Lamb Lies Down and haven't had a chance to actually play it yet, but I already know it's better than The Wall.

I really hate The Wall. I think it's PF's worst album by a mile. It should be marketed as an insomnia cure; the only songs that do not bore me to tears are Comfortably Numb and Hey You. I find it hard to believe that it followed the brilliance of Animals and WYWH.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is my least favorite.

Sure it has Sorrow, but what else?

Nothing.

The Wall is poetry in motion.

The worst Floyd album, far and away, is Ummagumma. It is the only one that somewhat embarrasses me. Atom Heart Mother is not terribly strong either. I read an interview with Waters once where he said that, even if offered 1 million pounds, he would not play the AHM suite on his tour.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Iiiiiiiiiii have always been here
Iiiiiiiiiii have always looked out from behind these eyes
Iiiiiiiiiii am in need of a good lyricist and an actual musical idea for this song

cdisantis83 said:
The worst Floyd album, far and away, is Ummagumma.

What, you don't like Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict? :wink: That song's pretty avant-garde.

Last edited:
A Momentary Lapse Of Musical Direction
A Momentary Lapse Of Lyrical Ability
A Momentary Lapse Of Production Values

Oh, you can do so much with that album title. I will admit, though, that the intro to Sorrow was genius, and that it was worthy of God on PULSE.

But back on topic. I don't like Peter Gabriel, so my opinion is biased.

GibsonGirl said:

That song's pretty avant-garde.

I hear that if you slow down the LP during this track, in one channel you can hear Gilmour say exactly that!
No love for Momentary? Signs of Life and Terminal Frost at least are excellent.

cdisantis83 said:

Both are about eccentric, rebellious young men struggling to find their identity in a world that attempts to push conformity upon them at every turn. Only Quadrophenia concerns a Brighton Mod, and Lamb concerns a New York street punk. I must admit that my understanding of Lamb is superficial compared to Quadrophenia, so if anyone would like to critique this, I would be interested to hear it.

The difference is that while the conflicts in Quadrophenia are a result of outside forces, Lamb's conflicts are the direct result of internal faults. The mods are a culture while Rael is a single person. The story are complete opposites. The two albums have the same starting point but they go off in completely different directions.

Screwtape2 said:

The difference is that while the conflicts in Quadrophenia are a result of outside forces, Lamb's conflicts are the direct result of internal faults.

Well, Jimmy's conflict in Quadrophenia, is, as suggested by the title, a battle between the four sides of his personality; hence Quadrophenia. I suppose it is an internal struggle as a reaction to outside forces, which eventually leads to his suicide crisis on "The Rock."

Screwtape2 said:

Why?

Well what do you think of the album musically?

I don't know, there has just always been something about him that I've never warmed up to. There's something about Genesis in general that I've never warmed up to. I've tried to give the band a chance, but they're just not my style. And to be honest, the last time I heard anything from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway must have been almost five years ago when my father had it on in the car. I found it boring.

Originally posted by cdisantis83

I hear that if you slow down the LP during this track, in one channel you can hear Gilmour say exactly that!
No love for Momentary? Signs of Life and Terminal Frost at least are excellent.

That's why I included the quote. :wink:
And no, I find Signs Of Life to be a bit dull. I think the whole ethereal, spacy instrumental album intro is done better on a song like Cluster One. The 80s production on Terminal Frost makes me want to curl into the fetal position and cry.

GibsonGirl said:

I don't know, there has just always been something about him that I've never warmed up to. There's something about Genesis in general that I've never warmed up to. I've tried to give the band a chance, but they're just not my style. And to be honest, the last time I heard anything from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway must have been almost five years ago when my father had it on in the car. I found it boring.

Ironically, my dad played it for me in the car a couple years ago and I too found it boring. You should give it another try sometime. I did and gained a real appreciation for it. Maybe since you're older you'll be able to warm up to the band's music. Try listening to Nursery Cryme and Selling England By The Pound.

P.S. Don't form any opinion of Genesis from the Phil Collins-era. The band ceased to exist post Gabriel.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Sure it has Sorrow, but what else?

Nothing.

The Wall is poetry in motion.

AMLOR isn't that good either, but it has Learning To Fly and On The Turning Away, and Sorrow is absolutely godly and could redeem just about anything. AMLOR is at least better than The Final Dreary Cut and The Wall. I really, really hate The Wall. I have never been able to get through one disc of it, let alone the whole thing. I've tried, I think I did actually once force myself to finish the first disc or at least got bloody close, but I just couldn't keep going. It's the most boring album I've heard in my life. It's a shame, as the concept has great potential, but it just goes to prove a good concept is nothing without good execution. (Hey, Pain Of Salvation, are you listening?)

cdisantis83 said:
Atom Heart Mother is not terribly strong either. I read an interview with Waters once where he said that, even if offered 1 million pounds, he would not play the AHM suite on his tour.

I'm not all too interested in the AHM Suite, and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is little more than a curiosity, but the middle three songs are amazing. I honestly think Summer '68 is the best song the Floyd have ever done. Sure, Sorrow has better guitar and some of the best lyrics ever written, but Summer '68 is absolutely beautiful.

Axver said:

AMLOR isn't that good either, but it has Learning To Fly and On The Turning Away, and Sorrow is absolutely godly and could redeem just about anything. AMLOR is at least better than The Final Dreary Cut and The Wall. I really, really hate The Wall. I have never been able to get through one disc of it, let alone the whole thing. I've tried, I think I did actually once force myself to finish the first disc or at least got bloody close, but I just couldn't keep going. It's the most boring album I've heard in my life. It's a shame, as the concept has great potential, but it just goes to prove a good concept is nothing without good execution. (Hey, Pain Of Salvation, are you listening?)

Have you seen the movie?

I got a new appreciation for the album after watching it. I kind of understood it better.

The Wall ranks behind Dark Side, Animals, and Wish You Were Here as the best Pink Floyd album for me.

Learning to Fly is a cheesefest, On the Turning Away is good though.

Hands down, and you knew I'd say this Screwtape, I :love: Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. I can't even pick one song to quote a lyric too. I just wish I had been old enough to know of the band to have seen this performed live. I saw the next best thing a few years ago: Musical Box. PM me if you need details

It is here... it is now...

Axver said:

I honestly think Summer '68 is the best song the Floyd have ever done.

I would never expect someone to choose this as Floyd's best song, but I am glad that Rick Wright's songwriting gets some appreciation.

I would also have to add that The Final Cut is an incredible achievement, if it is given repeated listens. It is probably the preeminent example of a "difficult" album that I have ever come across, but, if afforded time, the power of the album is striking.

cdisantis83 said:

I would also have to add that The Final Cut is an incredible achievement, if it is given repeated listens. It is probably the preeminent example of a "difficult" album that I have ever come across, but, if afforded time, the power of the album is striking.

:up:

OK, I just listened to The Lamb Lies Down. While it hasn't suddenly become my favourite piece of music ever, it's an excellent piece of work, especially the first half, and it walks all over The Wall and drags it unceremoniously through the mud. Genesis for the win by knock-out!

LemonMacPhisto said:
Have you seen the movie?

I got a new appreciation for the album after watching it. I kind of understood it better.

No, I haven't. My stepfather actually has a copy of the movie but I never got around to watching it and now that I've moved out and live in a different city, I guess I'll just have to track down a copy somewhere else.

GibsonGirl said:

Gilmour-led Floyd > Waters-led Floyd. :wink:

Hehe, sorry, I couldn't resist. Waters still ranks highly in my books because of everything he did pre-Wall. I feel Gilmour's post-WYWH output far trumps Waters' post-WYWH output, though.

cdisantis83 said:
I would never expect someone to choose this as Floyd's best song, but I am glad that Rick Wright's songwriting gets some appreciation.

Actually, I'm not the only person on Interference to hold that opinion. Liamcool is the one who initially put me onto Summer '68, when I was very firm in my "Sorrow is the best Pink Floyd song ever" stance. But my resolve has steadily been weakened, and about 1-2 weeks ago, I realised that Summer '68 has taken over from Sorrow as my favourite. It's such a gem of a song and I wish it got more attention.

It's funny, the opposite happened to me. I liked it when I first heard it, but on every listen, my opinion of it has declined to the point that it now bores me. It's still better than The Wall, though.

The Wall is arguably the most fluid and well written rock opera of all time. It really is quite ingenious. The problem is that most of the songs aren't up to the quality of the albums the band released before it.

LLDOB is very good, but it's not Genesis's best album (Selling England By The Pound FTW!), though it is enjoyable. The story is too bizarre and convoluted to top the Wall's, but musically it is very strong.

I'll give this one to the Wall, but not by much.

Axver said:

And let me put it this way: I don't even have The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and have never ever heard something from it, but I have a very strong feeling it's better than The Wall.

I really hate The Wall. I think it's PF's worst album by a mile. It should be marketed as an insomnia cure; the only songs that do not bore me to tears are Comfortably Numb and Hey You.

While I won't go as far as to say that I hate it, I do think it's an extremely overrated record. What it's lacking is songs. Yes, I know it's a double album and that it has 26 tracks, but how many songs does it have? And I have no problem in saying that -especially with concept albums- there might be some tracks that are not full songs, but contribute to the narration. Still, I feel The Wall is extremely short on songs. Quoting Hey You or Comfortably Numb (or Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2) is of no effect. I know those are great songs. But tracks like Vera, Bring The Boys Back Home, The Happiest Day Of Our Lives, etc. are just fodder. And Don't Leave Me Now (I think it's that one, I mean the one with Roger Waters singing) is excruciating.
The sad thing of this all is, apart from the fact that there are some great songs on it, that it sounds amazing. I got this album based on opinions in an audiophile forum. I even went the extra mile to find one of the best-sounding versions (luckily it didn't cost me an arm and a leg). I think I'm gonna give it a spin again soon and I know I'll turn the volume knob up high, way high. If only the contents matched the sound quality. :(

So... erm... yes... The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom