Which Internet Browser do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat
I'm wondering which Internet Browser people use these days?

I'm looking for the name and version number

Eg. Internet Explorer 6
Netscape 7

And if you don't know its as simple as going to: Help -> About
(in most broswers)

Hello,

At the project I'm currently working I have to use IE 5.5. On my laptop and at home I use Mozilla 1.1 (have yet to download 1.2). I also use Opera 6.0 sometimes at my laptop.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. What are YOU using?

Phoenix 0.4, to be renamed next week since Phoenix BIOS is mad...

p.s. Popmartijn and cloudimani are the two coolest people in the history of the universe :D :D

havent tried opera since its v. early releases year and years ago, but it does look quite cool, then again could I be bothered switching over all my email stuff?

Anyway, I love my mozilla, the email client is excellent and the personal toolbar folder is soooooooooo handy. Use it with the pinball theme for a minimilist toolbar, make your screen seem so much bigger :)

The reason I was asking is because I'm learning how to become a web designer. And I was curious to see which version of the broswers most people use.

The older the broswer, the more work is required getting the website to display properly. And I really don't want to go to extra time and effort to get a site displaying perfectly in Netscape 4, when the majority of people are using using Internet Explorer 6 (which from the development aspect is the most kindest browser).

Opera has banner ads. :eyebrow: I'm sorry. I'm not a demographic.

If you're talking about web design, I would suggest programming for IE 5.0 and, maybe, Netscape 4.x. However, Netscape sufficiently pissed off enough people with Netscape 6 that it has contributed to its own demise, and I know very few people who even run Netscape anymore. Nonetheless, in programming for Netscape 4.x, you would have to forego most interesting uses of CSS/DHTML, as it does not support overlapping layers, and, as such, I generally will program for Netscape 6+.

Even though Netscape has generally become a non-issue, I would encourage having Netscape 7 only because it is strict HTML 4 compliant, while IE 5.0+ is filled with some Microsoft-proprietary tags and will "clean up" your code for you if you mess up. Viewing it in strict HTML 4 should ensure that your page looks good for other browsers, along with IE.

FYI, I use IE 6.

Melon

JimmyChicken said:
The reason I was asking is because I'm learning how to become a web designer. And I was curious to see which version of the broswers most people use.

The older the broswer, the more work is required getting the website to display properly. And I really don't want to go to extra time and effort to get a site displaying perfectly in Netscape 4, when the majority of people are using using Internet Explorer 6 (which from the development aspect is the most kindest browser).

People who design their sites so they only work with evil IE really desperately irritate me.

Dont do it!

And everyone who went into Help...About to find their version, also got to see the name of my school:

Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. :D

Back
Top Bottom