Which Internet Browser do you use? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2002, 08:59 AM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:33 AM
The reason I was asking is because I'm learning how to become a web designer. And I was curious to see which version of the broswers most people use.

The older the broswer, the more work is required getting the website to display properly. And I really don't want to go to extra time and effort to get a site displaying perfectly in Netscape 4, when the majority of people are using using Internet Explorer 6 (which from the development aspect is the most kindest browser).

Old 12-12-2002, 11:12 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Opera has banner ads. I'm sorry. I'm not a demographic.

If you're talking about web design, I would suggest programming for IE 5.0 and, maybe, Netscape 4.x. However, Netscape sufficiently pissed off enough people with Netscape 6 that it has contributed to its own demise, and I know very few people who even run Netscape anymore. Nonetheless, in programming for Netscape 4.x, you would have to forego most interesting uses of CSS/DHTML, as it does not support overlapping layers, and, as such, I generally will program for Netscape 6+.

Even though Netscape has generally become a non-issue, I would encourage having Netscape 7 only because it is strict HTML 4 compliant, while IE 5.0+ is filled with some Microsoft-proprietary tags and will "clean up" your code for you if you mess up. Viewing it in strict HTML 4 should ensure that your page looks good for other browsers, along with IE.

FYI, I use IE 6.

Melon

Old 12-12-2002, 11:26 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 AM
IE 6
Old 12-12-2002, 03:24 PM   #19
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyChicken
The reason I was asking is because I'm learning how to become a web designer. And I was curious to see which version of the broswers most people use.

The older the broswer, the more work is required getting the website to display properly. And I really don't want to go to extra time and effort to get a site displaying perfectly in Netscape 4, when the majority of people are using using Internet Explorer 6 (which from the development aspect is the most kindest browser).
People who design their sites so they only work with evil IE really desperately irritate me.

Dont do it!
Old 12-12-2002, 05:23 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I use IE. Only because I hate Netscape and I'm too lazy to download anything else.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:21 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 03:33 AM
And everyone who went into Help...About to find their version, also got to see the name of my school:

Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.