which do you like better: british/irish music or american music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

which is better?

• british/irish music

Votes: 29 85.3%
  • american music

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
ah well i know that the us fans in here are in the majority. i also do know that most of youll have at least one and some even more bands from the uk/ireland that they would rank above the avarage us band ;)

therefore suddenly this poll emerged in my head :hmm:

if you would have to choose: do you like american music better than british/irish music or the other way around. should be interesting.

i'll start myself. even though i think there are more american bands that i like (from pixies to r.e.m. to velvet undergorund), the bands that i rank undoubtedly highest are british/irish: u2 and rolling stones. throw in radiohead as well and my vote goes to british/irish.

Hmm, interesting...It seems we here (in Aus) get more of American artists than anywhere else, I suppose that is the same in most places, and out of the huge array there is a lot of good music...Then, in Pommieland, a hell of a lot of great acts come out.
I think Brit. But its a very close call.

in Singapore we get artistes from everywhere, but most of my favourite artistes are british. come to think of it, most of my guilty pleasures are british too (atomic kitten, for instance :reject:)

edit: let me pre-empt the 'it's just music no matter where it comes from' post. :wink:

Hmm, I really dont know how to vote on this. A year or 2 ago, I would have voted British without even thinking.

Lately I've been listening to far more American bands than anything else though. I dont know. I'll have to think about this.

I had to go with British/Irish for the following reasons:

U2
Radiohead
Coldplay
Oasis
Placebo (although they're hard to pin down geographically)

ahw mrbrau :wink:, take it from me you're not alone. but i do suppose you have an opinion on which of the two options you like better?

i'm going to abstain from voting...

modern american music blows... i'll give you that. but it may just be a phase... there are some good bands begining to pop up, and the n'sync's seem to be going away... and i still think the best band to come on the scene in the past 5 years is audioslave, an american band. in years past it's really even for me... america has springsteen, dylan, hendrix, elvis, sinatra, johnny cash... the stones, beatles, u2, zep, pink floyd on the other side of the pond... so i'm going to call it a wash for now... yeah we gave the world n'sync and the backstreet boys, but let us not forget that you guys gave us the spice girls...

I was thinking about this a while ago... and as of the past decade or so, I'd definitely go across the Atlantic... in an East direction that is.

british/irish
not only for U2, because the United Kingdom has given the best bands of history

MrBrau1 said:
Well, as long as the US is being slagged off, remember where it all started, it wasn't Britain.

I don't think anyone is denying that... but as of late the tables have turned, and it's raining tea and friggin' crumpets.

Tally Ho.

MrBrau1 said:
Well, as long as the US is being slagged off, remember where it all started, it wasn't Britain.

it isn't necassirly american started either

Most, if not all, music in america today can thank early roots blues music which the Africans brought over in the slavery years.

I am saying British music now in my vote. But, historically, it might be a different story.
Thinking of the likes of Dylan, Elvis, Robert Johnson, the great jazz players

Basstrap said:

it isn't necassirly american started either

Most, if not all, music in america today can thank early roots blues music which the Africans brought over in the slavery years.

I am saying British music now in my vote. But, historically, it might be a different story.
Thinking of the likes of Dylan, Elvis, Robert Johnson, the great jazz players

I see RnR as a combo of the early blues from the slave years, with the folk, jazz and country/bluegrass that also developed in America. If you're talking early RnR (50's) all I know are American names-Buddy Holley, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Elvis Presley,Bill Haley and the Comets. Are there any famous British artists from this period? I'm drawing a blank.

HeartlandGirl said:
I had to go with British/Irish for the following reasons:

U2
Radiohead
Coldplay

i'm with you....but i'd also add in The Beatles, Cranberries, Garbage, The Music....

they far outweigh the number of American bands I listen to...except for Motown! Lord can a good motown record get my ass shakin'!!

Back
Top Bottom