Which Box Set Should I Buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which one should I buy?

• Billy Joel: The Complete Hits Collection, 1973-1997 (4 CDs, $19.99)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • The Clash: Clash on Broadway (3 CDs, $19.99)

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Bruce Springsteen: Tracks (4 CDs, $34.99)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Johnny Cash: The Essential Johnny Cash, 1955-1983 (3 CDs, $22.99)

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Bruce Springsteen: Live, 1975-1985 (3 CDs, $19.99)

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
You can never have enough Johnny Cash, imho. But that's just my preference.

Maybe if you're like me, someone will suggest one or two, and deciding whether or not they're right will help you realize that gut feeling of what you really want.

Ryan Adams is supposed to have a box set coming out in the fall. :drool:

From your list though...I'd say "Bruce Springsteen: Tracks".

Hello,

I have voted for Bruce Springsteen Live 1975-1985. You just need to hear Bruce Springsteen live (do you have any live recordings of him? If no, go get them!). Although that box-set has a few faults (you can still notice that the tracklisting was composed with the vinyl LP in mind) it has many excellent tracks on it. As Martha said, his early material (recorded in The Roxy in 1978) is superb. :hyper:

That's not to say that the other box-sets don't have any merit. Apart from Tracks I don't have them, but Johnny Cash sounds good, as does the Clash. I got the Tracks set for really cheap (25 euro's) and while there are many good tracks on it, it doesn't have a Blind Willie McTell on it. Speaking of which... if you have the chance to buy Bob Dylan's The Bootleg Series Volume 1-3 (cheap or not), go for it as that's another excellent box set with some superb tracks on it. Or Bob Marley's Songs Of Freedom. Or Phil Spector's Back To Mono. Aaahhhh, boxsets... :drool:

C ya!

Marty (who is a sucker for box sets)

P.S. If possible, but Springsteen Live 1975-1985 in the original configuration (the 12"x12" box with 3 separate CD's and a 12"x12" book) or the newly released long box. Much nicer artwork than the 3CD jewelcase.

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

I have voted for Bruce Springsteen Live 1975-1985. You just need to hear Bruce Springsteen live (do you have any live recordings of him? If no, go get them!).

Yep, in fact I have quite a few boots of Bruce, which is why I'm a bit hesitant to buy the Live set, seeing as how I already have a lot of those songs already on cd. :shrug:

It looks as though Johnny's getting a lot of votes. :hmm: But, I'd really like a Bruce set, as well. Decisions, decisions.... ;)

THE CLASH. even if you have all the albums, there's non-album tracks, the entire "cost of living" e.p. and the booklet rocks more than you can imagine; it's worth it just for the booklet alone. and it's the clash! i mean, how much better does it get? it's got nearly the entire slef-titled album, both american and u.k. versions (i think 'remote control' was the only thing left off). it's just really great...and there's a lyric booklet as well as the other booklet.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I know. :crazy:

I decided to go with the Man in Black. Maybe the next time they have that sale I'll get the Clash.

good choice. that's who i ended voting for. :up:

johnny. :heart:

I won Clash on Broadway.

It's so key.
Especially for traveling. (You can take three c.d.s instead of many...)

Back
Top Bottom