Where were you in 1997?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrattyIrishPunk

War Child
I was...

-In school:madspit:
-In third grade[I am in 7th going into 8th now]:huh:
-My brother just finished High School[and I caused chaos at his graduration party]:evil:
-Just started to listen to U2:yes:

I attached a picture, i'm the one at the bottem making the weird face, the guy with the blonde hair is my brother and the girl is his ex-girlfriend.

Attachments

• bip, jesse, lauren.jpg
    bip, jesse, lauren.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
1997.......let' see, I was 16, first year of high school

I just had broke up with my girlfriend, we lasted like 1 year.

In March I went to the Kiss Reunion Concert in Mexico City, one of the best nights in my life.

Went to Reno, Nevada all Summer, then right before school started went to Cancun with 12 of my friends, I've never had so much fun in my life, but I don't think I'll ever do so many stupid and fun things in my life like we did that week. Can't believe all our parents gave us permission!!

And finally got back with my girlfriend, just to lose her next year for good (she went to France for a year, and returned with a French boyfriend) God I loved that girl

Anyway all in all a very good year, learned a lot of things

Uh let's see...I was 31 and I was sitting at this same desk, doing the same work. My life is pretty predictable :|

I was 20 and majoring in Communication in college.

I was working for a rock band.

I saw U2 for the first time live in Jacksonville; 5th row Edge's side.
I missed most of the concert because I was bent over crying harder and longer than I ever had the second I saw Bono in person. :lol:

I was, on a regular basis, doing 8 lemon drop vodka shots a night on the weekends. :yes: :cool: :eeklaugh:

Hmm In 1997 I was partying ...alot.. :tongue:

Dominos, smokes, drinks.. :up: and me tugging on my brothers arm.

3348285523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3B838%3B2%3A2ot1lsi

And I just have to laugh.. about your hair.. bratty.. cuz when I was a senior ( oh so many years ago.. :p ) I had black hair with blonde too.. :huh:

Scary no? :no:

3348285523232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3B838%3B2%3A3ot1lsi

* runs full speed away from this thread :eek::eek:

I was 20, sophomore/junior in college, got REALLY sick [life-threatening and independent of drinking beer], went to my first U2 show [Columbus, Ohio!], my Detroit Red Wings won their first Stanley Cup in 40 years, drank lots of beer, ate lots of french fries, went to the great college party called Hooch Fest, pissed off the entire football team which caused my student newspaper to be banned from interviewing the team, drank more beer.

Sicy-- ya know, I never learned how to drink, smoke and play dominos at the same time. Hell, I have no idea how to play dominos in general. Can you teach all of us your talent? :sexywink:

I was 10 years old, and that would be, what.. 5th grade? I'll be in 10th in the fall. I think I was going around saying something like "yay, I'll finally be a 2-digit number" when I turned 10. :rolleyes:

By the way in 1997 I was at the University of Delaware going into my senior year.

Hehe that wasnt me with the blonde hair that was my brother, I was the one making the face at the bottem, but I do have blonde hair now.

BrattyIrishPunk said:
Hehe that wasnt me with the blonde hair that was my brother, I was the one making the face at the bottem, but I do have blonde hair now.

Ohhh my bad!

Now I know how you got your nick.. :wink:

*counts years on fingers*

That would be the end of 7th grade and the start of 8th grade for me. My very first girlfriend dumped me in January (see below). Anyways, I was listening to the radio quite a bit, and my first temptation to buy a U2 CD happened when I heard "Staring at the Sun" that summer. I didn't buy it for another 2 years though. My supergoth friend at that point really liked U2, but now he constantly trashes them. Later that year I met probably my best friend ever, Ben Dennis. Sadly he moved away early in 98, but he was really cool. The only problem was that his mom was really stuck up towards my mom, racism I suppose, Ben was an African American from New York, and apparantly his mom didn't think too much of his having white friends. That's about it.

For those who care, you know how much I talk about my crappy luck with girls. Anyway, Tammy was my first girlfriend, and things are soooooo great when you're not scarred by bad relationships. She broke up with me after about 4 months, and admitted regretting it about 3 years later. At that time though, I was so scarred by being rejected and dumped and lied to that when we tried to get back together, I was so nervous that I ruined it. There's still a spark between us, and if things don't work out with Jennifer and myself(and I really don 't think they will, we're just toooooo different), I'm gonna give her a call. I need to anyway, but I can't get over the guy she's dating now (even she admits he's an arrogant, self-absorbed prick).

that was end of 7th grade / beginning of 8th...i was a HUGE DORK!!! i mean huge...you have no idea...anyway...i was really into yoyos (the big fad of those years)...hmm...i had so many bangs that it was practically a mullet...and i didn't have a boyfriend or anything (too dorky...it didn't come for a few more years...:huh:...ahh...back in the day...

btw sicy...you actually DID have a mullet...nice...;) :D

In 1997 I was 19 and attending classes at a community college. (Bleh. :p) I was working at a grocery store in the Service Counter, doing things like ringing up prescriptions and printing out lotto tickets. I also was flirting with a lot of guys, but cause I'm an idiot and so damn shy nothing ever happened. Things were pretty lame and tame for moi.

I also missed out on seeing U2 in Detroit on Larry's birthday. I was on the phone (a group of us from work were all going to go) but stupid me....it was taking too long to get through so I hung up. :no: *smacks head

In 1997 I had just graduated from University with my Bachelor's degree and then spent August in Denmark before spending the next four months freezing my ass off in Russia. :D

Other than two very traumatic events, 1997 was a very good year...

This pic was taken on the shore of the river Volga just north of Kazan'. It was unbelievably cold- I must have had a few layers on, not too metion the scarf wrapped around my head like a baba.

Attachments

• russia.jpg
    russia.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
at this time I was 24. I was finishing up at De anza college so I could transfer to San Jose State to study art. This was also the last year I did a dance performances, or dancing of any kind. And still I had no girlfriend just a crush here, a crush there, and no guts to ask them out.

I also went to puerto vallarta with a couple of bowling buddies. Early to rise to go finishing and out late at the strip clubs for the whole week. It was a blast!

Here's the red snapper I caught...

Attachments

• jimpv.jpg
    jimpv.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 89
  • I was 12 too
  • Graduated from Primary school and started a new school life in Secondary School
  • Hong Kong turned from a British Colony to a 'Special Administrative Region' of China.
  • I moved from a country side house to a city area apartment.

1997 was quite a big year for me...

Last edited:
I was in my last year of school and trying to decide what I was going to do with my life.
I also spent way to much time getting drunk and trying to fit in to the cool group :rolleyes:
That was also the first year I went abroad on holiday and I passed my driving test too.

In 1997, I was in the airline industry and watching a lot of MTV.

I also didn't know what I wanted in life. Uh-oh, seems like every year is 1997 for me. :lol:

b stage popmart in skydome, toronto, ontario on 27th of october.

OAC(grade 13) of high school. partying. drinking. golfing. golfing. partying. golfing.

Back
Top Bottom