Where were you in 1997?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Class of 1997!!

Graduated from high school that year. Then I had 3 straight Fridays of bad luck: my car was totalled in an accident (the other guy's fault), i got appendicitis and had to have an emergency surgery whilst at a conference...my parents were two states away and had to give their consent over the phone...and I am one of those who hates doctors and needles with a virulent passion, and the last friday my parents and brothers headed back to Indonesia and I was 17 and alone in America. Moved to Minnesota knowing only 1 person and started college. :D

Definitely a big year for me.

I was a senior in high school- going to prom with Diemen (by the way D, if you attatch that picture, I'll kill you), singing all the time, and getting ready to go away to college.

Well damn...that's a good picture! And it's also the only high school pic I have on my 'puter. Ah well.

1997 - graduated high school in Oklahoma, went to prom in California with Pease (*picture two fabulously good looking people together in standard prom attire, with the standard fancy prom picture background* :D), and then started college at the University of Oklahoma.

btw, some of these replies in here make me feel ancient. 5th grade in '97???? :eek:

I was 16 and going to my first U2 concert, Popmart at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal..

Me before the concert (yes that's a U and a 2 painted on my cheeks..pathetic, I know)

Attachments

• mestefpop2.jpg
    mestefpop2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 43
You are so lucky you live 400 miles away, D. Grrr. I have huge hair in that pic. Nobody wants to see that. I was still working my way out of an ackward phase.... oh, wait... I'm still there.

Oh please...your hair looks fine in that pic. besides, it was five years ago. You're allowed slack on any stylistic thing before college ;).

In 1997 I...

- packed up 15 years of my life in NYC and said goodbye to everyone and moved to the desert. I smoked a joint in the passenger seat of the Uhaul which my best friend was driving and had a nervous breakdown along with the first, one & only case of heartburn I've ever had

- then flew right back to NYC to attend Jeff Buckley's memorial service to say goodbye to him and had a nervous breakdown

- turned down PopMart tickets to opening night in Vegas because I was having a nervous breakdown

- had an affair with a younger man which led to a nervous breakdown

- hung out with my best friend who helped me through the nervous breakdown

So, um...it was a quiet year for me. :D

Hmmm...June 26, 1997...I was in drivers ed., tellin' everybody about my very first U2 concert the night before! :D

In my second year at Cable Company #1. Working at Buca too. Having fun - dating people - flying to Houston the night of the Vegas/ABC fiasco (worse rated television in history - until this year). Traveled to Chicago to see U2. Saw U2 on my half-birthday with a woman from Denmark. Went to both shows with my same friend I went to the Vegas Elevation show!

I'm bored. Here's a slightly less blurry pic. maybe if you're lucky I'll work my way to the unblurred pic (if anybody actually cares ;)).

Attachments

• prom97a.jpg
    prom97a.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 27
June 28 1997. I had just left university after getting my degree. I had been applying for jobs. On Monday I will get an interview. On Thursday I will be asked for another interview at a much better place for a much better job. On Friday I will have the first interview. On Saturday I will be told I don't have the job. On Monday I will have the second interview. Late Monday I will be told I have that job. On Wednesday I will start it. I'm still there!

In other news, I also got a haircut.

What a terrible time for me. I had just lost my Dad, my dog died, my husband got thrown in jail for drunk driving, some of the neighbors were really causing trouble, I was broke, and then U2 came out with this album and image that I really hated so I didn't even have my favorite band. :sad: Bad times. :down:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom