Where to start with Radiohead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
I was too young to know much about Radiohead when they became big. The fact that their songs aren't played on the radio doesn't help. I would be interesting in testing the band out a little more though. Of the songs I have, I would have to say I love Where I end and you begin and I'm not too fond of Creep. Where should I start with exploring their music? It seems like the consensus is that Ok Computer is their best album, but what about the Bends? Is there a definitive approach to Radiohead's music, or is it all subjective to the style of their music you like? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

The Bends is more straightforward alt-rock (but not as banal as their debut).

OK Computer is more representative of their experimental side (but not as out there as their later stuff).

Both are probably the most "balanced" albums they've recorded, so flip a coin or something. Can't really go wrong with either.

Go with The Bends, it has the best automatic appeal. OK Comp took me a while to really appreciate.

I WANNA LIVE FREE
I WANNA BE PART OF THE HUMAN RAAAACE!

You must listen to Paranoid Android on OK Computer. After OK Computer go with Kid A, which I think is there best album. The Bend and Pablo Honey tend to bore me as they are not really that representative of where they are now.

Go with the Bends first. And then Ok Computer. The former is easier to get into but equally brilliant.

Both are probably the most "balanced" albums they've recorded, so flip a coin or something. Can't really go wrong with either.

Agreed :yes:

Ok Computer is maginficent..... i think the gold now is the Kid A / Amnesiac double - they are brilliant in a different way....

Kid A is a little easier to listen than Amnesiac - it seems to work a little better as a complete album whereas Amnesiac is a bit more work for the ears but has some beautiful stuff on there....

Back to your question - if you start at the Bends as mentioned above and then move to OK you will get a better understanding of the evolution of the band and have a better appreciation for where they are at......

Listen to The Bends first then listen to Ok Computer, 2 true classic albums if ever there was! Then progress with caution towards Kid A , which is great but needs time to grow on you, then Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief which are good but fall well short of the above mentioned classics!

i think you must listen to the bends first in order to truly appreciate the beauty of ok computer. so yeah... do that.

Thanks for your tips!

It looks like I should start with the Bends, then OK Computer, and if I like what I hear, progress to Kid A and Amnesiac.

go with the bends first, it's one of their best, and it's the most listener friendly. then pick up ok computer. after that you can move onto kid a. and amnesiac. if you must, pick up pablo honey and hail to the thief last, if at all.

i don't know, i think pablo honey is a good place to start. the first radiohead album i ever owned was kid a, but while i love that album i didn't really get into the rest of the music until after spending some time listening to pablo honey.

but i know i'm in the very small minority when i say it's my favorite thing they've done.

Back
Top Bottom