Where poets speak their hearts then DESCRIBE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Irishteen said:

Strange, barely anyone would do that here, on the Junior Cert only about a dozen students in the country get straight A's

i suppose different countries have different ways of grading...here it's easier to get straight A's but they're much more necessary to get into an ivy league college or whatever...

i need to leave now too

ZD if you have any suggestions on good poets or authors to look into i'd love you forever...just post them in this thread and i'll look back through it later

see you guys later

VertigoGal said:

I haven't read any books/poetry lately...do have any suggestions of authors to get into? I think that's part of my problem

(I also think sometimes, when I write I always try to go straight for my deepest emotions/secrets/personal topics and end up disgusted with myself. i need to consider the world outside of myself when I write, if you know what I mean...)

The one thing that annoys me the most about some of my contemporaries is that they waste wonderful phrases on rather trite and trivial subjects and I myself usually avoid topics that are overdone and or innately clichéd by doing the complete opposite.

(There are even some well respected writers throughout history who piss me off)

However it is possible to approach more personal and introspective in a unique manner by thoughtful usage of metaphors and inventive language. Never show the world the full extent of your soul, the relationship that art, the artist and his audience has is based on what every good relationship should be founded on.

An ability to empathise but also the understanding of having to give to receive and this works both ways as always.

In hindsight you could negate the need to write about the effect(s) that other people have on you and more about the effect(s) that you have on other people.

As for what I’m reading now in terms of poets, I’d like to suggest that you investigate Patrick Kavanagh, Dylan Thomas and possibly what Leonard Cohen wrote before he became a songwriter.

(Just listen to him) :wink:

They’re pretty obvious yet influential men but you should find inspiration within their work.

VertigoGal said:

i suppose different countries have different ways of grading...here it's easier to get straight A's but they're much more necessary to get into an ivy league college or whatever...

i need to leave now too

ZD if you have any suggestions on good poets or authors to look into i'd love you forever...just post them in this thread and i'll look back through it later

see you guys later

Bye VG :wave:

Well here, the whole grade goes on the final exam

beau2ifulday said:

Thank God. That's all I can say to that.

I don't like it , it puts too much pressure on the final Exam

And if you are wondering what I am uploading it is a charity cd of U2 covers, so I am uploadin' it in case anyone wants it

And Bye Tuwie :wave:

Irishteen said:

I don't like it , it puts too much pressure on the final Exam

You're lucky though...because here there's pressure put on grades for everthing and especially final exams :madspit:

circa1992 said:

You're lucky though...because here there's pressure put on grades for everthing and especially final exams :madspit:

Ye I guess you could say we are lucky, but we would rather it was more like the way you have it.

Well History isn't all on the final exam, you do somethign before the exam that goes to afair bit of the grade

^^
I don't know about Ireland, but in Britain there is still pressure to do well in work - particularly in your last two years. If you want to stand a chance of getting in any good uni, you have to put 100% into both the schoolwork and the modular exams. The statements teachers provide in regards to your attitude and performance count for alot more now than they used to, hence the need to do well throughout the course of the two years.

It sucks, and even if you do put 100% in, you're still not guaranteed a place at a good uni. I guess that's just school in general though :down:

beau2ifulday said:
^^
I don't know about Ireland, but in Britain there is still pressure to do well in work - particularly in your last two years. If you want to stand a chance of getting in any good uni, you have to put 100% into both the schoolwork and the modular exams.

It sucks, and even if you do put 100% in, you're still not guaranteed a place at a good uni. I guess that's just school in general though :down:

We use a point system, were your best six results in the LEaving Cert are taken, and you get it out of 600, higher level subjects are worth 100 points max and Ordinary are worth 60 max. And about 360 is minimum in college with some courses requiring up to 580 or something

Irishteen said:

We use a point system, were your best six results in the LEaving Cert are taken, and you get it out of 600, higher level subjects are worth 100 points max and Ordinary are worth 60 max. And about 360 is minimum in college with some courses requiring up to 580 or something

Higher end subjects - English, maths, sciences etc?

What does Trinity require then - something at the 580/590 end, presumably?

All the educational systems in place in our various societies are overrated.

:wink:

Blanket statements

:wink:

beau2ifulday said:

Higher end subjects - English, maths, sciences etc?

What does Trinity require then - something at the 580/590 end, presumably?

No it all depends on what you take in college, things like Law and Medicane would be in the high 500's

^^
Yeah, it's free :up:

Irishteen said:

No it all depends on what you take in college, things like Law and Medicane would be in the high 500's

Yeah, I remember their A Level requirements for Law being entirely unreasonable. They were more demanding than Oxford, I think :shrug:

beau2ifulday said:

Yeah, I remember their A Level requirements for Law being entirely unreasonable. They were more demanding than Oxford, I think :shrug:

Well praise be that I'm not qualified enough to go to Uni this year even though I really should be.

Actually to be honest I now regret my rather wayward adolescence.

:|

Technical Colleges all the way. :wink:

Again.

:sad:

beau2ifulday said:

Strange, a Irish school demanding mroe than Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom