where is your fave travel destination?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I recently got back from a trip to the Uk and Italy and had a ball.
Ive been to the UK, Ireland and Hawaii before also.
I think I basically want to spend my life as a traveller, nice dream anyway..
Favourite places Ive seen so far are definitely Ireland, this little fishing village in Co. Cork called Kinsale. Just like something out of a fairy tale.The mist on the water, and the lil coloured rows of houses on the hill...

On Hawaii, you cant get much better than the strip along Kaanapali in Maui. Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous shores...

Italy I fell in love with on my last trip. Venice is like a dream
Florence...ahhh what a beautiful city
but theres nothing like driving through the Tuscan countryside, with all the poplars lining the hillsides and the gorgeous olive trees in rows. Everything is in perfect rows in Italy.
All those images you have in your head actually come to life in Italy. its quite an amazing place.

So come on, tell me about the favourite places you've travelled to...

Honduras, just like something out of a fairy tale that takes place in Honduras and is about Honduras rather than fairies. And nothing in Honduras is in a perfect row.

Seriously, Honduras is my favorite travel destination. Some of the best people in the world, and it's cheap, cheap, cheap!

I agree manda-Kinsale is beautiful. In Ireland-well, I love the WHOLE country-but especially County Kerry-and Galway.

Unfortunately, I haven't traveled much-would so love to go to Hawaii-and Italy too.

My fave travel places in US-Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Savannah, Georgia

Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket-MA

Coastal Maine

My hometown (in the U.P. of Michigan) and where my fiance lives (in Virginia).

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

interrrrestin.
Manda, like you, i would love nothing more than to spend my life traveling.
It's hard to pick a favorite place, because we go to different places for different things. Aruba is my favorite beach destination. I have never seen water like that. And the people are so incredibly nice.
For culture, I pick London. I have always had a fascination with that place and it was exactly as I pictured it.
Places I have been so far (aside from the continental US) - Maui, Hawaii; London, England; Dubin, Ireland; Aruba...i think that's it. Oh and Martha's Vineyard (yes I know it's in the continental US but it merits a mention since it is truly one of my favorite places on earth...Edgartown in September after all the crowds have left..lovely!)
Places I want to go next: back to London, Paris, Italy, Prague, Dublin again...

*sigh*

[This message has been edited by Fritzy (edited 11-15-2001).]

I love Finland (Turku, specifically) because I've spent more time there than anywhere except home, and my grandmother lived there till she died, and sometimes I miss her and Finland so much I can't even think about it. It hurts too much.

Last year I traveled into the middle of Switzerland, the Interlaken area, maybe the most beautiful area I've seen. The mountains are beyond words.

I went to Mexico last year, south of Cancun and the beaches are so beautiful there. I'm supposed to go again in a few weeks but the airline we were supposed to fly went bust. We're currently uncertain as to whether the travel agent will arrange something different.

London is probably my favourite city that I've visited though I only spent a week there. I think it is the greatest city on earth.

Venice, where I went when I was seven going on eight, is the most beautiful city I have ever seen or will ever see, probably. On that same trip, Paris was amazing.

And I only spent a few days in Dublin but next year I may move there. Maybe next year I actually will instead of just talking about it.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

Places I've been to: Venice/Italy, Strasbourg/France, Vienna/Austria, Split/former Yugoslavia, Dublin/Ireland, Santa Eulalia/Ibiza, the southwest of the US.

If I could only visit one of this places again it would definitely be USA. I have to see Yosemite Valley just one more time and San Francisco and Monument Valley and Grand Canyon and and and *sighs & dreams*

annalivia

I havnt done that much travelling, I have seen a lot of Australia and have been to the west coast of America and to Hawaii which were both pretty nice, anyway I will give you my wish list of places I really want to visit....

Ireland- now I wonder why????

Scandanavia- to see some auroras up close and personal

Ghana- west African music at its best

Morocco- too rock the Casbah

Cuba- more great music and to see a running communist country

The Amazon- would love to trek into the deepest depths of that magnificent rainforest
smile.gif

Spain (all of it, whether a major city like Madrid or the small towns throughout the mainland or the coastal regions)

Austria (though the people aren't as friendly as other places, the scenery alone is stunning)

Budapest, Hungary (with the Danube separating the city into an "old world" and "modern," the people are great and everything is affordable)

Zagreb, Croatia (many students and young people, very out-going, friendly and fun-loving, great sense of history in a place that survived a war, and the city's vibrant attitude reflects that)

New York, USA (can't wait till I get there again next month, I haven't been in over a year, I'm sure it will be very emotional to go back now especially at Christmas)

Chicago, USA (it's been called "the NY of the middle America, probably why I like it so much)

Amsterdam, Netherlands (dreary weather and the architecture is very uniform, but I think everyone must experience a night in Amsterdam at some point in their life)

Belgium (only visited Brouge for a day, but one it's just one of those places that you have to see to believe)

Paris, France (loved it except the part about it being too expensive to really do anything except walk around and see everything, so many places that are just over-priced tourist traps)

oh, and Florida is nice, haven't been to California, shockingly enough
frown.gif

Oh mandababe, you know I have to answer this question.
smile.gif

I've spent most of my life travelling (my parents worked overseas) and I just got back from a 2-month Europe trip. Of all the places I have been to...I don't know if I could pick just one best.

1. Sulawesi. Yeah, that should be obvious right? But even if I hadn't grown up there...it's still one of the most beautiful places on earth. Lush green jungles, mountains, blue oceans cascading over coral reefs, tropical fish, amazing food, beautiful people. It will always be the place my heart calls home.

Others...

Lake Geneva area in Switzerland. The Alps, the water, the chocolate, the peaceful hills and valleys with the cows and their bells. What's not to like?

Venice. It is very much like a dream. It seems as if you could walk right back in time. Cream and pastel coloured houses all running together...tiny winding cobblestoned streets...finding a solitary bridge crossing a lonely canal...these are some of the mental postcards I'll keep from Venice.

Cinque Terre, Italy. Five Italian villages on the coast. Winding terraced vineyards on the steep hills, furious waves pounding the rocky coast, amazing wine and great locals.

Scotland. The Western Highlands were wild and beautiful...rugged and yet (dare I say it) homey. Glasgow had a great feel to it. Less touristy than Edinburgh and I found it to be very friendly.

Dublin. All the U2 stuff is a fan's dream. But other than that it's still a fantastic city. Upbeat, friendly, great beer, cool accents...and actually it was more cosmopolitan than I had expected. The streets make no sense. Just head towards the River Liffey.

Iceland. Cold and wild and beautiful. Endless expanses of white snow broken by mountains, black lava rock everywhere, geysirs, volcanoes, hot springs, waterfalls.

I could go on, but I think I'm gushing, so I'll quit for now. Our world is a beautiful place. We should take great pains to see it as much as possible.

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

There's no way I could pick just one place...

Dublin (for the people), London, Seagrove Beach Florida (see Bama we agree
wink.gif
), the volcanos in Maui, New York City.

I love to travel.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

London
San Francisco
Vegas
Boston/Martha's Vineyard
(I found Bar Harbor to be waaay overhyped)

I also spent 2 weeks in Burkina Faso on a mission trip a few years ago. An *extremely* poor country, but the beauty of that place was seeing people who had absolutely no "riches" in the world, yet didn't even seem to realize it and were somewhat content with what they had. All they needed was love, medical assistance, and attention.

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
Seagrove Beach Florida (see Bama we agree
wink.gif
),

Yes, but if I recall, you prefere Bud & Alley's; we prefer The Red Bar. Although the Roof Bar at Bud & Alley's is cool when Brad Vroon/Salty Dog are playing.

Well I am the nomadic one... however the best places depend on what you?re after.
I could think about this forever but...my favourites are probably as follows:

Best Urban environment: London, Rome, New York.

Best City vibe/party towns: Dublin, Edinburgh, Rejkavik Barcelona, Prague, Vilnius and... any city with U2 playing

Best Culture: St Petersberg, Rome, Paris, Madrid, London

Best food: London, Melbourne, Sydney, throughout Italy, Spain and Portugal.

The place for sheer madness: Hong Kong, Moscow, Beijing, Riga

Most Spectacular Environment: Garangefjord (?) and Northern coastal Norway, Iceland, the southern steppe of Mongolia, the Schozjan (spell for me please u2girl) caves of Slovenia, west Vancouver island, maybe sth-west Tasmania.

Best place to relax: queensland ? both up the north and around fraser island, skiing in the French or Austrian Alps, southern Spain and Portuagal but not the touristy areas.

Best looking people: St Petersburg, Russia and Tallin, Estonia (something about the east European chicks does it for me ok?) with honourable mention to Norway.

Place with something for everyone: London and I think probably New York

Best place to live and raise a family: Australia, maybe canada

Most important place to visit as a human being: a few I?d rather not say why they were so important to me, however I think everyone should go to Aushwitz at some stage if they can.

Best Place overall:
1. Wherever U2 are playing
smile.gif

2. Melbourne (but im based
biggrin.gif
)

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

Originally posted by zoomerang II:

Best place to relax: queensland ? both up the north and around fraser island,

Best place to live and raise a family: Australia, maybe canada

Most important place to visit as a human being: a few I?d rather not say why they were so important to me, however I think everyone should go to Aushwitz at some stage if they can.

Best Place overall:
1. Wherever U2 are playing
smile.gif

2. Melbourne (but im based
biggrin.gif
)

I realy like what you had to say Zoom, I live near Fraser Island so I know how relaxing Queensland can be, and talking about places of meaning I think that all Aussies should visit Gallipoli one day, I know that I really want to do it some day and friends of mine who have been there have said that it is a very moving place to visit. Dont know about Melbourne though- bit too cold for me, but still nice choices though
smile.gif

I really haven't been many places but I adore traveling, it's something I'd love to spend my life doing too

the beach in Florida by Ft. Lauderdale is just gorgeous in June.. I could live there

I also love the beach in South Carolina, Myrtle Beach to be precise..just so much fun. really I'd love to be near the ocean anywhere as long as it's swimmable. sadly, I've never been to Hawaii which is one place I NEED to see.

I visited Europe and it was really a crammed affair..I saw most of Holland and a good part of Germany in 2 weeks
eek.gif

needless to say, sleep was not a part of that vacation. I was supposed to go to Paris too but lost almost $1000 to a pick-pocket in Amsterdam so that plan was scratched.
Amsterdam has to be THE MOST interesting city I've ever seen in my life.
Cologne Germany was gorgeous too.

I've visited most of the eastern part of Canada..Quebec has to be my fave province altho I also love Nova Scotia. Quebec City is just awesome, I'd like to live there for a bit.

Maine is one of my fave states; northern Maine especially..it's so rugged and beautiful.

of US cities, Philly and NY are my faves but they're also the only two I've really explored at all so I suppose that doesnt count.

that's about it for me...wish I had more but hopefully that will come with time!
smile.gif

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

Damn! I need to get out there and travel more!

My favorite place I've ever been so far is a cabin up in the woods of New Hampshire right on the water of Lake Sunapee - it's great!
biggrin.gif

------------------
How do you keep a moron busy for an hour? Two words... Extreme Paddleball

"wow...look at those two birds... they look just like airplanes, the way they're flying..."

" because they are airplanes..."

Like you Amanda, I have the travelling bug, too...but it's not enough to visit there, I always need to LIVE there!! lol!!

So I will be one course shy of graduating at Xmas so in January I'm off...
My tentative plan is to move to Dublin for a few months (my old company in London have an office there and can get me a job no problem! yipee!)..I've always loved Dublin...I needed something different after living in London for the past few years....

Then it's off to Mexico or some other Spanish speaking country for a few months to learn Spanish...

But it looks like London comes out on top so far and I must agree....
London does have something for everyone as someone just pointed out.
Like someone (Samuel Johnson??) pointed out, "When you tire of London, you tire of life"

But the only other city I would take over London is New York...
What a fab town...and Wanderer, as you probably know, Xmas is the BEST time to go there...ahhhh, New York at Xmastime - doesn't get any better than that folks!

But alas, I love all of Europe, North America, Asia (from the few countries I've lived in there and seen)...and I'm sure the places I haven't seen are just as wonderful!

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 11-16-2001).]

Quick favourites would be....

Margaret River region of Western Australia

Northern Italy around the lakes, Como etc

New York. I'm dying to go back there now I'm a bit older (went when I was 17).

London.
Paris.
Bali.
Port Douglas.

Dublin - I fell in love with and in this city...

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

I read somewhere once how the vast majority of people on the planet, live and die with in a certain radius of where they are born, It was a surprisingly small radius. I shall be one of those people and I don't mind at all.
Dublin and Florence are the 2 cities that sneak into my dreams.
Bono Voyage amanda.

------------------
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Back
Top Bottom