Where/how did you and your significant other meet? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2002, 10:19 PM   #1
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Where/how did you and your significant other meet?

I've always had those little daydreams where you meet the love of your life while...I don't know...school, just walking down the street, or at the music store (my favourite one)...etc...My relationship-obsessed friend and I were discussing this the other day. Where do people actually MEET nowadays?

I can't answer, as I am currently w/out a relationship. I will say that my last relationship though--was a friend of a friend that I thought was cute....I told someone who told someone else, who told his best friend, who told him....so he called me up...we talked, I asked him to meet me the next day for lunch....

*sigh* It was terribly unromantic. It didn't last long.

Oh...and my grandparents met in prison.

Well, technically, a forced labour camp. They both tried to escape Slovenija (Yugoslavia) back when it was a communist country. Both got caught and thrown into this labour camp. They met, fell in love, got out, had my father, escaped over the border and lived in a refugee camp in Italy for a few years before coming to Canada.

THAT'S a story! (No wonder my grandmother can't watch the final scene of "The Sound of Music" without bursting into tears!)

Old 10-02-2002, 10:24 PM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:02 AM

I met my fiance drgnwolf1969 in a chat room over 5 years ago. We continued to communicate online and over the phone for 4 years before we finally met in person. We spent a week together, and then he went back home. When I went to visit him a few months later, he proposed to me. We still live apart though, as we are finishing school. I haven't seen him since May, and I probably won't see him again until next May, which hurts a lot. We figure we can handle this time apart, since we'll be able to spend the rest of our lives together eventually. We do talk on the phone everynight as well, so that helps a lot. We spend time together online as well (hanging out here, etc.).

You can find out more about us here.

*edits to add my fave pic of us*

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-02-2002, 10:25 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

crys

Wow, what a story about your grandparents!

I can't answer, because, I, too, am without this signifigant other thingy you speak of.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:26 PM   #4
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:02 AM
everyone knows this story already

I met my baby at the place where I dance. My mom got me to go to a beginners nite thing one nite and I liked it and I decided to take lessons. Mr. cha cha fish asked me to dance a couple times at the parties and then he asked me out!

The rest is history.

____
I owe my mom my life
Old 10-02-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
War Child

My story is not romantic, except to me. I look back on it and smile.

My college roomate got hired by this company for a summer job. Her boss (now my hubby) actually called the dorm room to talk to her, but I was the only one there. So, I took a message.

She got the summer job, got a crush on the boss, and when he invited her and several friends to come waterskiing one weekend, she brought me. He and I had an instant attraction.... well, not too instant since when I first got introduced to him he was changing his three year old daughters dirty diaper (he was divorced).

We started dating just one month before I had to go back to college. We ended up having a long distant relationship for the next two years I was at college (although I lived with him during the summer).

Then I graduated, we got engaged, we got married, had two kids, and are still together 19 years later (married for 13 years).

Oh, the funny thing is that he is 17 years older than I. Yes, he was 38 when sweet, young, innocent, 21 year old me met him.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:58 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I met my fiance drgnwolf1969 in a chat room over 5 years ago. We continued to communicate online and over the phone for 4 years before we finally met in person. We spent a week together, and then he went back home. When I went to visit him a few months later, he proposed to me.

At one of the most romantic places on earth...... a gas station. I remember that U2 was playing on the cd player ....the song " All I want is you" ......and I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Anyways I finally did something I should have done earlier . I am just so very lucky that Bonochick said Yes....I am also very very lucky she is a part of my life....Love ya hun
Old 10-02-2002, 11:44 PM   #7
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:02 AM
i met my husband at the chat here.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:38 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Mine is boring. A friend coerced me into playing a game of indoor soccer with her. I was dressed in my absolute best in a lovely holey U2 shirt that really should have been used as a cleaning rag, equally holey leggings and my stinkiest sneakers. I had purple hair and toothpaste stains all down the front of my shirt. My hair was a birds nest and I am sure I must have stunk - I was definately sweaty. I looked a million dollars. He on the other hand, looked like he had broken out of jail as he had long hair, equally daggy soccer gear on...etc. We started talking, I found out he was a computer nerd and said thanks buddy but no, I'm an art student and we shouldn't interbreed...blah blah...2 years later we went out on our first date and have been together for...5.5 years or something.

Our alien is going to paint famous sports stars and write code when she grows up.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:04 AM   #9
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by drgnwolf1969

At one of the most romantic places on earth...... a gas station.
No kidding! Why didn't you propose to me on our boat ride or in the caverns?????? *lol* Silly boy........

Oh well...that Chevron station will always be so special...

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-03-2002, 10:24 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Bonochick and drgnwolf, that is the BEST engagement story I have ever heard!!
Old 10-03-2002, 12:19 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 07:02 AM
I owe your mom my life too!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I met my baby at the place where I dance. My mom got me to go to a beginners nite thing one nite and I liked it and I decided to take lessons. Mr. cha cha fish asked me to dance a couple times at the parties and then he asked me out!

The rest is history.

____
I owe my mom my life
We met at an event called a showcase where I sat at the table next to her. I knew her mother before I knew her.

Baby, do you still have the picture of us at the Showcase? I look totally bored in that pic. hehe....
Old 10-03-2002, 12:25 PM   #12
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

my mom loves you

Quote:
Originally posted by daafish
Baby, do you still have the picture of us at the Showcase? I look totally bored in that pic. hehe....
I think my mom has it. Buried deep somewhere.. never to be found.

You're right though.. technically we did meet that day but we didnt really talk to each other until like a month later when I started dancing.

Old 10-03-2002, 12:42 PM   #13
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

I just LOVE reading these stories.

Anyway, mine has a definite U2 theme. I was sitting in homeroom one day, and my non-U2 friend Lisa (who said that U2 was "boring" and "depressing") said to me that she had met a guy at work who looked JUST like the Edge and that she was going to set us up.

Sure enough, he DID look like the Edge (and had his bday 2 days apart from Edge's), and she DID set us up. Although it was obvious he liked me when he met me, he was shy and never heard from again. In my typical style, I had to hunt him down and stalk him at the movie theatre where he worked.

This was 12 years ago, and now he looks way more like Edge than he did then!
Old 10-04-2002, 01:02 AM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:02 AM
I hate you all...

JK I'm happy for you all really.... just slightly jealous...

*goes to gas station*

*waits...........*
Old 10-04-2002, 05:33 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

My boyfriend Michael and I met

OH LIKE HALF OF YOU DON'T KNOW

First day of class, we had Philosophy of Song together. After class I said something like "do you play anything? You sound like you know what you're talking about?" And I invited him to come play geetar with me and this guy Matt that I had met in Physics earlier that day. Which was SO unlike me, initiating conversation.

So that evening we all got together in Matt's room. Michael signed on with his sn on Matt's computer bc he was waiting for a friend to finalize plans fer later that nite. Before he left he asks us for our screennames. I tell him mine and he asked if it was like Bono Vox. I'm like "Yeah Bono and I got married." He asks something like "So do you have a boyfriend that's jealous of this?" and I'm like "No...." And he goes "No, he's not jealous, or No, you don't have a boyfriend?" I say "I don't have a boyfriend." He nods.

Then....

o gaw. If you don't know it all by now....

we've been together OFFICIALLY fer almost 3 weeks, but we've actually been friends since the first day of school, Sept 3