Where/how did you and your significant other meet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
I've always had those little daydreams where you meet the love of your life while...I don't know...school, just walking down the street, or at the music store (my favourite one)...etc...My relationship-obsessed friend and I were discussing this the other day. Where do people actually MEET nowadays?

I can't answer, as I am currently w/out a relationship. I will say that my last relationship though--was a friend of a friend that I thought was cute....I told someone who told someone else, who told his best friend, who told him....so he called me up...we talked, I asked him to meet me the next day for lunch....

*sigh* It was terribly unromantic. It didn't last long.
:|

Oh...and my grandparents met in prison.

Well, technically, a forced labour camp. They both tried to escape Slovenija (Yugoslavia) back when it was a communist country. Both got caught and thrown into this labour camp. They met, fell in love, got out, had my father, escaped over the border and lived in a refugee camp in Italy for a few years before coming to Canada.

THAT'S a story! (No wonder my grandmother can't watch the final scene of "The Sound of Music" without bursting into tears!)

I met my fiance drgnwolf1969 in a chat room over 5 years ago. We continued to communicate online and over the phone for 4 years before we finally met in person. We spent a week together, and then he went back home. When I went to visit him a few months later, he proposed to me. We still live apart though, as we are finishing school. I haven't seen him since May, and I probably won't see him again until next May, which hurts a lot. We figure we can handle this time apart, since we'll be able to spend the rest of our lives together eventually. We do talk on the phone everynight as well, so that helps a lot. We spend time together online as well (hanging out here, etc.).

You can find out more about us here. :cute:

*edits to add my fave pic of us* :heart:

JK1.jpg

Last edited:
everyone knows this story already

I met my baby at the place where I dance. My mom got me to go to a beginners nite thing one nite and I liked it and I decided to take lessons. Mr. cha cha fish asked me to dance a couple times at the parties and then he asked me out!

The rest is history.

:flirt: :kiss: :heart:

____
:hyper: I owe my mom my life

My story is not romantic, except to me. I look back on it and smile. :)

My college roomate got hired by this company for a summer job. Her boss (now my hubby) actually called the dorm room to talk to her, but I was the only one there. So, I took a message.

She got the summer job, got a crush on the boss, and when he invited her and several friends to come waterskiing one weekend, she brought me. He and I had an instant attraction.... well, not too instant since when I first got introduced to him he was changing his three year old daughters dirty diaper (he was divorced).

We started dating just one month before I had to go back to college. We ended up having a long distant relationship for the next two years I was at college (although I lived with him during the summer).

Then I graduated, we got engaged, we got married, had two kids, and are still together 19 years later (married for 13 years).

Oh, the funny thing is that he is 17 years older than I. Yes, he was 38 when sweet, young, innocent, 21 year old me met him. :)

Bonochick said:
I met my fiance drgnwolf1969 in a chat room over 5 years ago. We continued to communicate online and over the phone for 4 years before we finally met in person. We spent a week together, and then he went back home. When I went to visit him a few months later, he proposed to me.

At one of the most romantic places on earth...... a gas station. I remember that U2 was playing on the cd player ....the song " All I want is you" ......and I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs:lol:. Anyways I finally did something I should have done earlier:sexywink: . I am just so very lucky that Bonochick said Yes....I am also very very lucky she is a part of my life....Love ya hun:)

Mine is boring. A friend coerced me into playing a game of indoor soccer with her. I was dressed in my absolute best in a lovely holey U2 shirt that really should have been used as a cleaning rag, equally holey leggings and my stinkiest sneakers. I had purple hair and toothpaste stains all down the front of my shirt. My hair was a birds nest and I am sure I must have stunk - I was definately sweaty. I looked a million dollars. He on the other hand, looked like he had broken out of jail as he had long hair, equally daggy soccer gear on...etc. We started talking, I found out he was a computer nerd and said thanks buddy but no, I'm an art student and we shouldn't interbreed...blah blah...2 years later we went out on our first date and have been together for...5.5 years or something.

Our alien is going to paint famous sports stars and write code when she grows up.

drgnwolf1969 said:

At one of the most romantic places on earth...... a gas station.

No kidding! Why didn't you propose to me on our boat ride or in the caverns?????? *lol* :D Silly boy........

Oh well...that Chevron station will always be so special...:lmao: :D

I owe your mom my life too!

Sicy said:
I met my baby at the place where I dance. My mom got me to go to a beginners nite thing one nite and I liked it and I decided to take lessons. Mr. cha cha fish asked me to dance a couple times at the parties and then he asked me out!

The rest is history.

:flirt: :kiss: :heart:

____
:hyper: I owe my mom my life

We met at an event called a showcase where I sat at the table next to her. I knew her mother before I knew her. :yes:

Baby, do you still have the picture of us at the Showcase? I look totally bored in that pic. hehe....

my mom loves you

daafish said:
Baby, do you still have the picture of us at the Showcase? I look totally bored in that pic. hehe....

I think my mom has it. Buried deep somewhere.. never to be found. :|

You're right though.. technically we did meet that day but we didnt really talk to each other until like a month later when I started dancing.

:heart: :dance: :heart:

I just LOVE reading these stories. :cute:

Anyway, mine has a definite U2 theme. I was sitting in homeroom one day, and my non-U2 friend Lisa (who said that U2 was "boring" and "depressing") said to me that she had met a guy at work who looked JUST like the Edge and that she was going to set us up.

Sure enough, he DID look like the Edge (and had his bday 2 days apart from Edge's), and she DID set us up. Although it was obvious he liked me when he met me, he was shy and never heard from again. In my typical style, I had to hunt him down and stalk him at the movie theatre where he worked. :mac:

This was 12 years ago, and now he looks way more like Edge than he did then! :laugh:

I hate you all...:scream: :sad:

JK I'm happy for you all really....:) just slightly jealous...

*goes to gas station*

*waits...........*

My boyfriend Michael and I met

OH LIKE HALF OF YOU DON'T KNOW :tongue:

First day of class, we had Philosophy of Song together. After class I said something like "do you play anything? You sound like you know what you're talking about?" And I invited him to come play geetar with me and this guy Matt that I had met in Physics earlier that day. Which was SO unlike me, initiating conversation.

So that evening we all got together in Matt's room. Michael signed on with his sn on Matt's computer bc he was waiting for a friend to finalize plans fer later that nite. Before he left he asks us for our screennames. I tell him mine and he asked if it was like Bono Vox. I'm like "Yeah Bono and I got married." He asks something like "So do you have a boyfriend that's jealous of this?" and I'm like "No...." And he goes "No, he's not jealous, or No, you don't have a boyfriend?" I say "I don't have a boyfriend." He nods.

Then....

o gaw. If you don't know it all by now.... :rolleyes:

we've been together OFFICIALLY fer almost 3 weeks, but we've actually been friends since the first day of school, Sept 3 :tongue:

I will probably meet my significant other in an old folks home in about 60 years. :|

I met my current ex (lol) in college.

edited for zpellingh

You know I like making frail u2 connections...well I can see them

October
twenty -two
years ago
I moved in with him.

Where? a butterflies wing bought him to my home town.
How? music

meegannie said:
Bonochick and drgnwolf, that is the BEST engagement story I have ever heard!! :lol: :heart:

Have you read my account of the event??

http://bonochick.tripod.com/Engagement.html

I was a little pissed off at the time of being asked...because I had thought he was going to ask me two times earlier in the trip, and he hadn't, so I was really disappointed and pissed. LOL :D

I met my boyfriend a year ago at the dive bar at the end of my street :D It was one of those nights that I didnt really feel like going out.... but was physically dragged my a friend of mine. It's funny because that night he also was suppposed to go out with a bunch of his friends that bailed at the last minute - and since he had the night off he decided to head out anyways. Nothing else to extraordinary. I noticed him looking at me as soon as I walked in... then he disappeared for a while I didnt give him a second though - until a little while later when he came over and asked if he could dance ( :laugh:) with us.... we ended up hanging out for most of the night, and the rest is history! :heart:

I was 21 or 22, newly separated with 2 babies, working as an office manager for a private investigation company. He was 36, divorced with an 11 year old boy and a 13 year old girl. My boss hired him as an investigator and told me to familiarize him with the way our office ran.

I HATED him right away...he was cocky and a smart ass and I hoped he would go away. He told me later he thought I was just a hoochy party girl with 2 kids. (I was!)

As soon as he moved into his office, where he had a direct view of my desk, all his "lady friends" started calling and I had to give him the messages. I was getting really pissed about all his personal calls and snitched him off to our boss. We had a little argument but then he asked me out for lunch.

We had a really great time and I was very comfortable with him but figured it was just lunch with a coworker, nothing special. Well, we got back to the office and planned to get back to work, just like a normal day and just like in the movies, BANG!!! Lightening struck. I think I got up to make a copy and he was on his way out to an appointment and we met in a doorway. We kind of brushed together and I swear, we both felt the electricity. I'm sure at that time it was lust but after that day, we spent alot more lunches together and let's just say I'm glad he had a lock on his office door :censored:

That was back in 1988. I moved in with him in 1989 and married him in 1995. I'm really glad I didn't get him fired :)

Met my ExWife at the resturant where she waited on me for like 6 months..:)
I would flirt w her everyday..pass her notes, when paying my bill.

One day she goes-"Yo dumbass when you gonna ask me out"?
I respond-"Dont u have a boyfriend"?
She says "Yeah but Im giving him the 'boot' soon"..

I say-"Lemme know when youre available"
She goes-"Lets go out this weekend"

So after 700 hamburgers and 1200 cups of coffee I took the girl out.
I was head over hills for her, we married quickly:up:

8 years later, I divorced her..:angry:

Those were some EXPENSIVE hamburgers in hind sight.
The buns tasted nice for a while though:sexywink:

diamond
:dance:

Last edited:
I like some here am currently single.

I do have my Gram's story to offer tho.

The year was 1944, and My Gram had finally made the decision to go to America bc she was tired of the war and tired of the constant bombing of Belfast(thats where she lived)and she wanted to be with her family so she decided to get the boat over.

My Grandfather was ordered by the Brothers to go to Canada to teach. The Brothers is the Irish Christian Brothers which like a male nun. Anyways he had to go so he left Moyvanne, Ireland (which is in Southern Ireland) to go to Canada in Sept of 1944.

They both went to Liverpool to get the boat and when the boat tried to leave the harbor an English Crusader boat(the boats that protected them) got bombed and split in half and so for the first week no one was allowed to go on deck.

Anyways one of the days that they were able to go on deck my gram and her friends came across my grandfather and a few of his fellow Irish Christian Brothers and started to flirt with them bc it was "SAFE TO FLIRT WITH THEM BC NOTHING WOUlD HAPPEN:eyebrow:"

To make a long story short my grandfather went to Canada and took care of the business he had to take care of and when it came time to go back to Moyvanne he remember my gram and traced her down and the were married in 1946 in New York City by a Judge.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS STORY! IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE THEN PM ME If you like!

Back
Top Bottom